BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would you shop a shoplifter?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Crazy Christmas
post Jun 14 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I did this afternoon in Tesco and tbh l feel a little bit guilty about it. There was an Eastern European woman in Tesco putting joints of meat, legs of lamb etc, in her shopping trolley instead of her Tesco trolley. She was obviously going to nick them so on my way out I told the security guard and the duty manager. She said they'd stop her and search her trolley after she'd gone through the checkouts. I told them she had a ladybird tall trolley, red with black spots so they couldn't miss her. It annoyed me that I've never stolen in my life and she and many others are just nicking stuff.

Was I right to report her? Do you shop shoplifters? I never have before.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Jun 14 2015, 05:51 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jun 14 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #2
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Jun 14 2015, 06:45 PM) *
Was I right to report her? Do you shop shoplifters? I never have before.

No, you're a snitch... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
April
post Jun 14 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #3
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

You were right to, don't feel guilty at all.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jun 14 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Gage @ Jun 14 2015, 06:47 PM) *
No, you're a snitch... rolleyes.gif

So why should she take stuff for nothing and me pay for them? I hope they throw the book at her but I bet she gets a slap on the wrist and will be back in there doing it tomorrow. No wonder Tesco profits are down. Cut off their fingers I say. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Jun 14 2015, 05:55 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 14 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

Yes I would, although I was once dared to steal sweets from spar when I was 14 and got away with it

Their CCTV was broken.

Regret it obviously now.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Jun 14 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #6
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

As a shop worker, there is nothing more exciting than hearing the fake name being called over the tannoy system at 7 o'clock in the morning and having several members of staff running to the booze aisle.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jun 14 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I might be missing something but how did you know she was shoplifting, maybe she was just using her own trolley?

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jun 14 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jun 14 2015, 06:54 PM) *
I might be missing something but how did you know she was shoplifting, maybe she was just using her own trolley?

Yes but her Tesco trolley was empty so why use her own trolley? That's why they have to wait until they are sure she hasn't paid ie after she's gone through the checkouts. If they stop her before she can just say she intends to pay and as you say, was using her own trolley. My auntie used to be a store detective for Woolworths.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Jun 14 2015, 05:58 PM

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 14 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #9
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

When I worked in a shop, I stopped some teens from stealing alcohol from the shop. They were later charged and one of them got 9 months in jail (for stealing, damaging products, then hitting a policewoman when he was being taken out of the shop).

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 14 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Having worked for over 5 years in supermarkets, I would defo shop a shoplifter. Think everyone one who's worked retail has those instincts.

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Jun 14 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

I once got super drunk with a friend and we went to a 24hr supermarket and were screaming and shouting... throwing things in our bag and the security didn't stop us once and we left fine.

We woke up the next morning really confused as to why we had so much food. So we made a note of it and returned to the store to pay as we felt like criminals. It's just weird that we carried on so dramatically and outrageous (perhaps even special) and were left to roam free.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Jun 14 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I swear there are LOADS of people who shoplift with the new self service thing. It is way too easy to just put it in your bag and not pay for it, especially when it is busy.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jun 14 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #13
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Jun 14 2015, 08:50 PM) *
So why should she take stuff for nothing and me pay for them? I hope they throw the book at her but I bet she gets a slap on the wrist and will be back in there doing it tomorrow. No wonder Tesco profits are down. Cut off their fingers I say. ohmy.gif

All while you are working SO HARD to earn that money to spend

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jun 14 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #14
ya ya ya i am lorde

just a tip for all the righteous hero vigilantes out there. don't judge if you don't know all the circumstances.

I wouldn't shop (what does that even mean tho. do you mean STOP? like 5 people wrote it so it must be a THING. confused.com) a shoplifter because it's none of my damn business. If the store doesn't have tight enough security to catch the thief then it's their own fault and they have no one to blame but themselves. Full stop.

+Quote Post
Slick
post Jun 14 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #15
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

I don't agree that it's the store's "own fault" that people shoplift, for not having appropriate levels of security. For a start, a lot of stores are VERY big and security can't be everywhere all of the time. However, more importantly, crimes happen anywhere to anybody - so if somebody mugs me, it's my fault is it? Because I couldn't stop them? Am I to expect no help from anybody?

I would report anything if I was confident that a crime was being committed - I've seen people acting suspiciously in a store but I've never "shopped" anybody because I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it without all the facts. However, if I did have the facts, I certainly would.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 14 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #16
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I agree in the way that it was the right and moral thing to do. However I would still feel bad getting someone into trouble (even though they probably deserved it, but you don't know if they are a poor person with little money or are just being greedy...)

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jun 14 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #17
ya ya ya i am lorde

Dont forget to compare shoplifting to murder and rape while you are at it as well. Because I obviously meant what I said about every type of crime ever.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 14 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #18
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Henderella @ Jun 14 2015, 10:42 PM) *
just a tip for all the righteous hero vigilantes out there. don't judge if you don't know all the circumstances.

I wouldn't shop (what does that even mean tho. do you mean STOP? like 5 people wrote it so it must be a THING. confused.com) a shoplifter because it's none of my damn business. If the store doesn't have tight enough security to catch the thief then it's their own fault and they have no one to blame but themselves. Full stop.

Shop, in this context, means report/grass up/tell the authorities etc

+Quote Post
Slick
post Jun 14 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #19
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

QUOTE(Henderella @ Jun 14 2015, 11:02 PM) *
Dont forget to compare shoplifting to murder and rape while you are at it as well. Because I obviously meant what I said about every type of crime ever.

Just pointing out that it's a very silly comment to make and that whether it was the intention or not, that sort of attitude CAN be applied to any crime. "Oh well I wouldn't get involved cos I don't know all the facts, and if they can't stop it themselves, then more fool them!!!"

If everybody had that opinion to crime, the world would be a worrying place. (Not that I am comparing shoplifting to murder of course, but the principle is the same. Let's all just worry about ourselves, shall we?)

Silly statement further compounded by a very immature defence of said silly statement too.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jun 15 2015, 05:13 AM
Post #20
ya ya ya i am lorde

Well, I thought my obvious sarcasm would clear things up on that matter.

And no, I do not think that stealing is acceptable as long as you do not get caught. Nor do i think my attitude should be applied to other crimes. I never said that at all and do not put words in my mouth. I just literally could not care less about shoplifting in a f***ing supermarket. I did not sign up to be shop police and the owner would definitely not care that I saved them some profit.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 05:18 PM