BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 42
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Jun 15 2015, 06:02 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

As it currently stands, the death penalty has been abolished "for all offences, except treason, piracy with violence and arson in Royal Dockyards"... the debate here is whether it should be reinstated for other extreme cases. Should serial murderers, rapists, terrorists be killed for their crimes or is rehabilitation the way forward for them? Are prison sentences too lenient a punishment for some offenders?

If you are FOR you believe that capital punishment should be reinstated. This could be because of the message it sends out to other offenders, helping to bring closure for the victims' families, etc.

If you are AGAINST you believe that capital punishment should not be an option for any case. This could be due to wrongful convictions, or the sanctity of life for the culprit etc.

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'Voting should be compulsory'
'The voting age should be lowered to 16'
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jun 15 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #2
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

Against. Baffles me that 1 out of 3 has already voted for!

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 15 2015, 06:13 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

no.gif

When it comes to the most f***ed up things like chopping peoples arms off while alive and wierd shit like that, then yes. But in 99% of cases no.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jun 15 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #4
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

I don't think criminals in extreme cases (thinking of terrorism cases) should have an 'easy way out' ie. death when there's no suffering. But sometimes when they've done something so awful, I'd rather see them dead.

But then two wrongs don't make a right? unsure.gif

Don't have a locked in opinion just yet

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 15 2015, 06:20 PM
Post #5
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

No. It doesn't work and when you get ridiculous situations like people on death row in the US living 10/15 years or whatever before they are killed (if at all) then it just makes it even more hollow an action.

I do think we need to have stricter punishments for some crimes though, at least in terms of custodial sentences. Life should mean life, rehabilitation should always be a goal, but there is always going to be a contingent for whom that will never work.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Jun 15 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #6
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I've changed my mind a lot on this issue, but I voted for here.

I'm a great believer in the punishment should fit the crime, and eye for an eye etc. The only reason that's made me change my mind in the past is the number of wrongly convicted people/innocent people that get put to death in countries that still have capital punishment however I think the more technology advances and the more equipment we have at our disposal, the less that will happen (hopefully). I would only have it for those who have murdered though.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 15 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

I think yes in extreme cases. If a serial killer kills 15 innocent people and shows no remorse, they're going to be in prison for their whole life.

If you're in prison you can still get Tv's sometimes and you'll get a bed, you'll still have some rights.

The people who have been murdered have had their lives taken away. They don't have any rights because they're dead.

Murderers like the moor murderers who show no remorse should be executed I feel. He wouldn't tell a victim's mum where he buried him, and then she died.

I think in very extreme cases then yes, it's fair.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jun 15 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #8
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I too am quite torn on this, and not 100% sure where i lie. While my immediate reaction was AGAINST because of the wrong conviction/sanctity arguments, there are some cases where it almost seems like the only answer - or at least the most feasible/affordable/worthy. But then, does everyone have the capability to change their ways with the right support? It's a very tough one and i haven't voted yet, because i'm hoping more discussion here can make the decision a little clearer...

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Jun 15 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #9
3:23
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

Within the small print of the The Lisbon Treaty there is a provision for the death penalty in cases of ‘war, riots, and upheaval’~

There have been far too many cases of miscarriages of justice, even in the age of DNA profiling in forensic investigations, to even countenance bringing back the death penalty.

This post has been edited by Ethan: Jun 15 2015, 06:50 PM

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jun 15 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #10
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

One would need to have an extremely high level of faith in the legal system to support the death penalty and I do not, therefore I do not support the death penalty.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jun 15 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #11
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I am always against it. No matter what.

Obviously there are the cases where innocents are wrongfully convicted and that becomes irreversible when the death penalty is carried out. Consider also that someone who has committed murder will have to spend the rest of their lives knowing they've murdered someone, and no freedom to ever escape from it. Death is an easy way out then.

And we know that capital punishment isn't an effective deterrent, so there's no point keeping it. I don't think I'd be comfortable with a society that executes its own citizens, no matter what they've done or how far beyond help they are.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 15 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #12
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jun 15 2015, 08:09 PM) *
Obviously there are the cases where innocents are wrongfully convicted and that becomes irreversible when the death penalty is carried out. Consider also that someone who has committed murder will have to spend the rest of their lives knowing they've murdered someone, and no freedom to ever escape from it. Death is an easy way out then.

Two very good points there Iz!

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jun 15 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #13
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Jun 15 2015, 07:02 PM) *
As it currently stands, the death penalty has been abolished "for all offences, except treason, piracy with violence and arson in Royal Dockyards"...

As of 1998, it's been abolished for those three things too as part of the European Convention of Human Rights.

-x-

I'm against it being reinstated. I can't deny I get a flicker of joy at the justice if I see someone who's committed unspeakable crimes in America has been sentenced to death, but our justice system shouldn't be based around gut feelings. And all too often, people have been sentenced to death only for it to be found that they were innocent all along afterwards. And I'm generally of the opinion that life imprisonment is far more of a punishment than a quick death ever could be.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jun 15 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #14
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Not really sure where I stand on this, I think I am very tentatively for it but only in exceptional circumstances (i.e. where it is 100% beyond any doubt that the person is guilty of a very severe crime). Just because if there's no chance the person will ever be released, it's surely a bit of a waste of money to keep them alive in prison? That said I have read that the appeals process / general BUREAUCRACY makes execution more expensive than life imprisonment in many cases in the USA so idk.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 15 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #15
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I'm strongly against the Death Penalty. I think it's barbaric and backwards.

Rehabilitation remains the best way to deal with those who have committed a crime I believe. Giving people a chance to repent, seek forgiveness, reform and become better and productive members of society is far preferable to needlessly ending a life. It does amuse me that the abortion nazi states like Texas are ridiculously pro-death. How can you stand an argue that all life is precious in one breath and then advocate for capital punishment in the next.

I still identify, somewhat, as a Christian and I believe that my religion has at it's core the acts of forgiveness and kindness.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jun 15 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #16
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Against, always. It's easy to say that somene barbaric who's done a horrible crime is worthy of death, but in my view that just makes the justice system as bad as who their persecuting. An eye for an eye etc., we should always stay above that and, as mentioned, not give the criminal the safe way out of death, they should live with their crime.

Plus, also mentioned, if a mistake was committed and a person was wrongly executed, it would simply be irreversible as a person's life have been taken. Look at the tragic Derek Bentley case, it really highlights the massive flaws of the system.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jun 15 2015, 09:31 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 15 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Ethan @ Jun 15 2015, 07:47 PM) *
Within the small print of the The Lisbon Treaty there is a provision for the death penalty in cases of ‘war, riots, and upheaval’~

There have been far too many cases of miscarriages of justice, even in the age of DNA profiling in forensic investigations, to even countenance bringing back the death penalty.

This. Oops sorry we killed you by mistake doesn't wash it, that's murder by the state and is even worse than a murderer because it's planned methodically and carried out as if there is a right to kill a few unlucky wrongly-convicted as long as some criminals get there comeuppance. I don't trust those in power to give us justice in every single instance any more than the family of Jean Charles De Menendes trust the police to do their job right. That was an execution carried out by morons. Another police force managed to catch the actual bombers plotting without killing any of them, just to show it can be done....

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 15 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I am totally against restoration of capital punishment for any offence.

I don't see how you demonstrate that it is wrong to kill somebody by killing somebody else. How does it help the victim's grieving family to make another family grieve. After all, the murderer's family would end up suffering for a good deal longer than the murderer.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 15 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #19
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I always have, and continue to be, against the death penalty in all circumstances for all the reasons you'd expect i.e my Catholic belief in the sanctity of human life, the problem of passing the death penalty on someone if they are later found to be innocent, and being unable to reconcile the central irony of killing to show that killing is wrong. I can understand why some people who have lost loved ones, especially in brutal circumstances, might want to push for capital punishment against the transgressor, but vengeance should never be a substitute for justice. Life without parole should be the ultimate punishment, although only in circumstances when the person is beyond redemption.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jun 15 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #20
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Ooh we had many a debate on this when studying Humanities for GCSE. Personally I'm against the death penalty as I think life is way too much of a sacred thing, and there are too many risks involved, such as the aforementioned wrongly accused. I think those who have committed barbaric crimes should live with the guilt of that, rather than being sentenced to death.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 10:40 PM