BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artists that have yet to put a foot wrong~, (musically)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jun 15 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Taking off our rose-tinted-loon glasses for a second, are there any artists that you would consider to be PERFECT musically. By that I mean artists that have more than ONE body of work and that has been consistent throughout their career.

A lot of my favourite artists have released at least one dud album or dud tracks so it's actually a lot harder than you think to come up with a name. I think perhaps someone like Wynter Gordon for me has released four projects and each of them has been perfect musically. Each project has also changed completely from the last showing that she isn't just using the same formula each time and is actually experimenting whilst STILL getting it spot on; always consistently GOOD. The other for me in terms of albums would be Kanye as each of his albums has been almost perfect, but then some (albeit very few) of his songs are a bit eh~ so maybe i need to discount him.. thinking.gif

Which artists for you, have yet to slip up in terms of QUALITY? (and a bit of perspective please~)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hurricane
post Jun 15 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #2
get me started, hot like fire
Group: Members
Member No.: 17,262
   No Gallery Pics

Hard to say because you will always have the odd "bad" track here and there, something that is definitely weaker than the rest.

The only one that spreads to mind for my case is Florence & The Machine, maybe? She does have a very few "~meh" tracks, so maybe not.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 15 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

Even Queen Tove Lo has a few songs which aren't amazing on her album. I can't remember not liking anything Taylor Swift put out.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 15 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #4
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I don't think ANYONE I like fits this bill, all of my top 10 artists have had at least one dud album. It's pretty rare I find for an act that has been around for more than a few years and has changed their sound with the times to not have at least SOME crap.

I guess the closest I could come up with would be Natalie Imbruglia, 4 good to very good albums. Yeah there are some dud tracks on them, but as I say, I don't think any artist I actively follow doesn't have maybe 10% crap.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 15 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #5
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Alanis Morissette for me. My other main faves (Kylie and J-Lo) have had their fair share of dud tracks and albums, but I've never come across a track by Alanis that I
haven't enjoyed or felt that one album has been a disappointment. Even her early pop albums are pretty strong. While I do think some albums (Under Rug Swept, Flavors Of Entanglement) are above the others, she's never dipped below "good". FoE is actually my all time favourite album, 7 years on and I still love it as much as I did when
it came out. She manages to deliver something different with each album while still being true to herself. MUCH more than just this angry woman that people think she is.
Her unreleased stuff that I've heard is also so strong and could be on the main albums tbh.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jun 15 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #6
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I'm with you on Kanye. Every album is spectacular and he's changed up his sound quite a few times without compromising on quality. Like you say though, there are a few tracks that are merely ok (although not many!) so perhaps he doesn't quite qualify.

Apart from Kanye, I'd say Lykke Li's discography so far is pretty damn close to perfection.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jun 15 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

God, that's a hard question! Tbh, I think all great musicians will have their low points in their careers but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes these low points occur when an artist is experimenting with their music or trying to find a different path to follow. Some will work, some won't. I can't imagine there's any artist who has had over a decade of success without having a few dud tracks or album.

The closest I can think of, in terms of artists who have had more than two albums, is Katy Perry perhaps, but even then PRISM has a few safe tracks in the second half. I think Adele would fit the bill to depending on how good her next album is.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jun 15 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #8
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

If you'd asked me this two or three years ago I would have said Paramore, Imo they aren't far off perfect or at one point they would have been but I think their live performances kind of let them down a bit now in comparison to earlier points in their career. In saying that I've never been to a concert of theirs yet, my opinions based off of videos, live albums and stuff. Even their new album, although brilliant has become a bit boring to me whereas I could still listen to their debut album on loop for hours laugh.gif

I guess Tonight Alive as both of their Albums and their EPs are incredible and I'm yet to get bored listening to them. I have seen them live and they sound better in person than recorded, plus they have some great lyrics. I know that's not something everyone's going to agree with but I guess it's just down to personal taste angel.gif

Fall Out Boy too, a lot of people argue that Folie a Deux was their flop album but it's probably my favourite by them, but I like all their albums sure there's maybe some songs that aren't amazing but I don't think there's any song by them that I don't like.

Marina & The Diamonds is maybe another, I've only really got into her music this year but I love all of her albums, each song is really brilliant and from what I've seen, she's good live too.

This post has been edited by Lindsey ♌: Jun 15 2015, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 15 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #9
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Most of my favourite artists have ALL their albums being great for me (Taylor, Jess Mauboy, Carrie, The Sats etc.), only Kelly Clarkson has a pn iffy one (Thankful) and that's just because it's average.

Of those I'd say Jessica Mauboy doesn't have any "meh" tracks, although some such as maybe Gotcha and a couple on the first album are kinda average in a 6/10 way and genuinely I can't think of a Taylor or Carrie song below 6/10. The Sats have the HORROR that is 2am in their discog.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 15 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #10
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

OH OH OH. Music Go Music, 2 albums of absolute pop perfection.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jun 15 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Lindsey ♌ @ Jun 15 2015, 07:44 PM) *
If you'd asked me this two or three years ago I would have said Paramore, Imo they aren't far off perfect or at one point they would have been but I think their live performances kind of let them down a bit now in comparison to earlier points in their career. In saying that I've never been to a concert of theirs yet, my opinions based off of videos, live albums and stuff. Even their new album, although brilliant has become a bit boring to me whereas I could still listen to their debut album on loop for hours laugh.gif

I was thinking about Paramore too, but I'm not that keen on their debut (more to do with the fact I've only listened to it two or three times so not really given it a chance). Riot! and especially Brand New Eyes are strong albums and I really enjoy their self-titled album, even if a lot of fans would say otherwise.

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Jun 15 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #12
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

For me Geri Halliwell is the most supreme singer, I dislike only "It's Raining Men", 90 % of her songs and all 3 albums are perfect POP material.

Taylor Swift, Amy Macdonald and YVA also must be mentioned here.

This post has been edited by Broken Heart: Jun 15 2015, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 15 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #13
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Even my top artists (alas Avicii and Owl City) have semi flopped for me on occasion, so I'd say Matrix & Futurebound for an obvious one. Control, Don't Look Back, All I Know and Magnetic Eyes are all amazing and 5 star moments. Duke Dumont would've been another until recently but The Giver sounds rather plain to me mellow.gif

This post has been edited by Spinning Adam =D: Jun 15 2015, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jun 15 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend

I've not heard any of their albums, but I don't think I've ever disliked an ABBA single. That's probably thanks to them not ever changing their sound and also not needing to do so because they just had a knack of making catchy pop songs.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jun 15 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #15
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Jun 15 2015, 07:51 PM) *
I've not heard any of their albums, but I don't think I've ever disliked an ABBA single. That's probably thanks to them not ever changing their sound and also not needing to do so because they just had a knack of making catchy pop songs.

ABBA are a good shout for singles definitely. And considering they have SO MANY that is quite the achievement.

I would agree with Katy Perry too but i'd say the debut album was quite weak in comparison and it was only from the second era that she really found her winning formula. Since then, she's been basically the perfect popstar though.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 15 2015, 06:56 PM
Post #16
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I could be cheeky and say Adam Young (credited as) who have produced all 5 star songs (that I've heard, my personal record for most songs by an artist where every track in my library of them are 5 stars tongue.gif)

Ridiculously Happy, Youtopia (w/ Armin van Buuren), Middledistancerunner (w/ Chicane) (aka plugdjflop), Saviour (Adam Young Remix) (w/ LIGHTS) (aka BJSC veto flop, twice), Eternity (w/ Paul van Dyk, 3rd fave song all of time y'all wub.gif), In The Air (w/ Orjan Nilsen) and Alive (w/ Schiller)

All 5 star moments wub.gif music.gif

This post has been edited by Spinning Adam =D: Jun 15 2015, 06:57 PM

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Jun 15 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #17
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

I don't like some ABBA singles, but based on quality of albums their discography is very good.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jun 15 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #18
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

there's not many I can think of. Even some of my major faves like Calvin Harris, Rihanna and David Guetta have released bad tracks (the latter being a very relevant choice considering Hey Mama is shit and that's the current single!). In the case of Calvin though it's just 'Merrymaking At My Place' which I'm not a fan of (out of what I've heard, still haven't listened to his first 2 albums).

I don't think there's any Avicii songs that I dislike though, and he's put out quite a lot of stuff.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jun 15 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

The Veronicas. They always astound me by how consistently good they are, don't think I've ever rated any of their songs under 8/10 and they must have put out around 50 with album tracks/leaked leftovers etc all considered. Every single they've releasd is a 9/10 at least as well.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jun 15 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #20
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

There isn't a single Girls Aloud song I dislike but objectively speaking, the quality isn't the same throughout all album tracks, particularly some on the first album. Singles-wise though I think they were incredible, I mean I disagreed on some choices (particularly the Chemistry era) but I don't dislike any. I do think they put a foot wrong with Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me but let's forget that happened, the only one to miss the top 11 drama.gif

Katy Perry is a very good shout, she's not put a single foot wrong yet, at least in terms of singles!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 12:52 AM