BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How GREEN are you?, aaaaaaaaah oooooooooh...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jun 18 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

As the Pope makes a plea to help save the planet, blaming global warming on "human selfishness", how green are you in your daily life? He urges the rich to change their lifestyles to avert the destruction of the ecosystem and lays much of the blame for global warming on human activities. Do you agree that we are to blame, and if so what do you do to combat it?

I like to think i am continually green conscious (little things like switching off plugs, walking/train instead of driving - things that don't really make a difference) and strive to be at school too where you can get through 100 sheets of paper a day photocopying if you're not careful. We are also ok at recycling as a family but could probably do much more with that..

How GREEN are you? Do you care about the ecosystem, the glaciers, the coral reefs, the future of the planet? ~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 18 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #2
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Our council has gone recycling mad so I recycle absolutely tonnes. They're trialling a new collection cycle soon where the Plastic & Cans bin will go from every 4wks to every 2wks and the landfill bin with go from every 2wks to every 4 wks! The landfill bin here is tiny here now as well so we haven't got much choice in the matter but to recycle everything.

Kerbside Glass recycling would be a massive positive. Its the only recycling we can't do at the kerb.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 18 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #3
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I'm really not very 'green' at all. I sometimes recycle, if I can be bothered, but usually it's just too much faff so in the normal bin it goes. I drive every day, so I'm not doing much good in that respect either.

I mean obviously I CARE about the future of the planet, but I'm a deeply selfish person when it comes to ease and practicality for my own life, driving is easier and cheaper than public transport, throwing it in one bin is easier then separating/washing/cleaning stuff, fossil fuels are cheaper etc.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Jun 18 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #4
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,335

I've been recycling for almost 10 years now. It's not really hard or time consuming at all, you just have to rinse the stuff. And we've never had a separate bin, just a reusable bag that we usually keep next to the entrance so that anyone can go empty it when they go out.

I also compost, which is admittedly more time consuming, but our neighbour has a couple of bins, so I'm not missing out on that chance. You'll be surprised at how little rubbish is left after you recycle and compost.

Other than that, I always take the bus, unless there isn't one where I want to go, and I use reusable bags to go shopping.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 18 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #5
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jun 18 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #6
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Being green is extremely important to me. I always wash out and recycle anything I use (I even put up a bag in my k*tchen when we didn't have one before and demanded people use it laugh.gif) and hate myself if I find I've left a light switch on. I can't actually drive yet so that one doesn't really apply, but I'd always rather walk than ask for a lift. I also try and use the 'bags for life', I'd even just use the plastic bag for a second time!

It's not something I necessarily judge others on, but it is DEFINITELY a point of irritance when I see someone leaving lights on/not throwing away properly, my uni house last year had no recycling bin AT ALL and it really frustrated me :/

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jun 18 2015, 06:19 PM

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jun 18 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #7
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

I take out any plastic / cardboard packaging I've used to the blue recycling bin almost every day. And take the bus / train everywhere unless I'm up with my parents. Re-use carrier bags a fair bit too.

As someone who really hates the heat when it's too hot and sweaty, the thought of global warming is something that does play on my mind pirate.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jun 18 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

I wish I was more green than I am on a personal level, I don't do that much apart from recycling. However, I am very concerned about the lack of investment into renewable energy and I'm very passionate about how the UK government seem to be lagging behind in that field in comparison to Scandinavia for example.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 18 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #9
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I do reuse plastic bags a lot, but that's mainly down to the 5p carrier bag charge that came in here a couple of years ago. Same thing for turning off lights/plugs too, I don't want to waste electric (even if only amounts to a few pounds a year). Basically, financial costs >> environmental costs for me when it comes to all this stuff.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 18 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

Does nobody else have a good Kerbside recycling system? Fife Council have a 4 bin system and the Landfill bin is about ⅓ the size of a normal wheelie bin to force you to recycle. 55% of household waste in Fife was recycled in 2013. The council wants to put 0 waste to landfill by 2020!

QUOTE(Ryan. @ Jun 18 2015, 07:12 PM) *
However, I am very concerned about the lack of investment into renewable energy and I'm very passionate about how the UK government seem to be lagging behind in that field in comparison to Scandinavia for example.
That entirely depends where you are in the UK.

If all the Wind Farms that have planning permission in Scotland are built, then Scotland will be 100% renewable. (I think there's enough wind coming on stream to be 100% Wind powered)

A bit of Smart investment could see Scotland power most of the UK. Chuck in Wales and force England to pull it's weight and the UK could be 100% renewable and export to the EU. The problem is the cuntservatives won't make that smart investment.

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Jun 18 2015, 07:22 PM) *
I do reuse plastic bags a lot, but that's mainly down to the 5p carrier bag charge that came in here a couple of years ago.
Ours is about 8 months old now and I'm far more conscious about keeping reusable bags in the car/on me. 5p doesn't sound like much but it's annoying to have to pay for bags.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 18 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Has anyone ever been to the Isle of Eigg (Inner Hebrides)?

They are on 100% renewables - ok, only about 150 people live there but it proves that it IS possible. I would like to install a solar panel on the roof but being a poor indebted renter (and with no real prospect of ever owning a home) I doubt I'll be able to be able to do it. In the meantime I do cycle to work which helps in a very very small way.

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Jun 19 2015, 12:36 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

We recycle at Sheperds Bush and I make such an effort to take bottle lids of plastic bottles.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jun 19 2015, 12:38 AM
Post #13
King of nothing at all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

I'm definitely very passionate about the environment, recycling, and generally trying not to be wasteful. Unfortunately public transport isn't an option here but I walk to work and drive a lot less than the average American. I wish we had policies to charge for plastic bags and encourage more use of reusable bags. But I'm glad to see others here are green too!

My town is just now getting surveyed to see if there's enough interest to implement curbside recycling. We've always had a drop-off site which is easy enough to get to but too many people dump trash and old furniture there, it's outrageous.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 01:47 AM