BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'People who download illegally should be prosecuted'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'People who download illegally should be prosecuted'
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 55
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Jun 18 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

So a debate we've had many a time before, but I think it's interesting to consider again in light of the streaming influx. Should "illegally" downloading music or file-sharing be punishable by prosecution? If it is prosecuted how will we logically go about doing it? Do you think artists get enough back for the work they put into their music/films whatever else is illegally downloaded? Is it stealing or just using the resources around you to get what is freely available elsewhere (via streaming etc)....

If you are FOR, you believe that people should be punished for downloading music without paying for it.
If you are AGAINST, you believe people should be allowed to freely download music and share files with no fear of prosecution.

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
'Voting should be compulsory'
'The voting age should be lowered to 16'
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Jun 18 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #2
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

i would be f***ed.

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post Jun 18 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

No, labels shouldn't hold back music for preposterously long times.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 18 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

No.

I don't think prison or even fines are really appropriate for what is essentially copying files. It should probably be discouraged but not made illegal.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jun 18 2015, 05:56 PM
Post #5
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

It's something I do (less regularly now than in the past due to streaming most stuff now), and I wouldn't want to be prosecuted, so I'm against thinking.gif

But it does seem a grey area morally because I see the stealing argument. unsure.gif But I do also buy CDs and expensive concert tickets (and maybe even merchandise etc.) for my favourite artists to support them, and that's where they'll get a lot of money from.

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Jun 18 2015, 06:43 PM) *

Also this ^

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 18 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

No! These companies and artists are already gaining buckets even if they completely flop in the chart. It's the lesser known and upcoming new artists and producers I would rather pay money to to support their future career biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jun 18 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

Well this is very difficult as I don't really fully agree with either of the two statements. I don't believe people should be prosecuted, but at the same time I don't think people should be allowed to freely download files they haven't bought themselves.

I'm very against allowing people to freely download files on the Internet that they haven't bought and I've always downloaded from iTunes or bought CDs when available. However with the issue of staggered release dates and country-restricted releases, I see why people do it and in these situations I think people have no other option.

At the end of the day with the record industry the way it is at the moment I'm against out of the two statements, but in the future I hope we'll be in a situation where there is one worldwide/international store for downloads/streaming which means there is no reason for people to download freely from the Internet as everything will be available to everyone at the same time and therefore all sharing sites can be blocked anyway.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jun 18 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #8
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

amnesty for previous offenders, death penalty for future offenders

tough but fair

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 18 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #9

I think either way it's going to get harder and harder to illegally copy music. Just like the government is shutting down sites like Limewire and Megavideo. It's pretty difficult to locate individuals and prosecute them anyway.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 18 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #10
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

It's an interesting debate, probably the one which has me most puzzled as to how to vote of them all so far. On one hand I download VAST amounts of content, usually about 1GB a day, I just could not afford to buy it all. Especially not the TV I want, which is available to buy sometimes on iTunes but a full season can set you back £30/40 and I wouldn't even pay that for a DVD, let alone digital content.

That doesn't make it remotely right though. It's clearly not a victimless crime either, there really is no such thing for a start. Smaller artists suffer, smaller labels suffer, niche tv shows suffer, etc. I think there does need to be an appreciation from the networks and labels that things need to be priced more competitively though. It's no surprise that when songs get reduced to 59p on iTunes they sell more, it's nearly half the price of a normal track. I know labels have a lot of fees to consider, but if all songs were priced at that level, with a consideration from iTunes/Amazon etc. then it's quite clear that there would be less illegal downloading. Same goes for OA/OS, put a song out there sooner, people are less likely to go find it elsewhere.

But basically, in answer to the question, I don't have an answer. I think it's right to be illegal, after all theft is theft, whether it be digital or physical, music or a loaf of bread. The problem comes with the idea of prosecution for it, I mean technically it should be that way if it's illegal, but it doesn't FEEL RIGHT at the same time.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 18 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Jun 18 2015, 06:43 PM) *

Exactly this. In the CD era, you can understand them sticking to rigid release dates for pressing and distribution - but in the digital era where music can be EASILY put up to download it I'm afraid just encourages people to seek the music they want to (but can't) buy through other means such as illegal downloads or rips from online streams. Until they put music up for sale when it gets sent to radio then I'm afraid they don't have a leg to stand on.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jun 18 2015, 06:16 PM
Post #12
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Well I'm pretty sure the entire 16-25 population and then some will then have to be prosecuted~ Honestly I get that it's stealing and I do avoid it when I can, but for songs that aren't available to buy in the country or those that straight up aren't available to buy and/or struggling with money, I haven't really got any choice, it's selfish but I hardly think I'm the only one.

and *chart forum mode on* as mentioned, The UK are given a completely raw deal with release dates, record companies can't expect everyone to wait two months to be able to own a song when it's everywhere already.

Whatever your view on it, it's one of those issues that will probably never die out so prosecuting wouldn't really be a suitable answer unless you're catching those that actually upload it in the first place.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 18 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #13

Another thing, the people who like to stream everything with a Spotify subscription and don't want to buy things individually when artists don't put things on streaming they're probably going to download illegally rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Jun 18 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #14
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

Voted for the first option and was shocked by the current results.

Illegal downloading is HUGE EVIL !!!

This post has been edited by Broken Heart: Jun 18 2015, 06:24 PM

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jun 18 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I've not voted yet because I'm not sure I stand for either option. I've always made it clear that I disagree with downloading illegally and also believe that people shouldn't feel entitled to have everything they want when they want it.

However, I know that most people doing this aren't doing it because they can't be bothered paying for music but because of record companies holding everything back for months in order to manipulate charts. Music should be available to purchase immediately and it is the only way to combat this. Prosecution would be difficult and unlikely to change very much.

I am surprised that in the past some claimed to illegal download over 200 songs a month and would be unable to pay for that if they had to. More because I'm not sure where people are finding the time to listen to that many new songs in one month. But then, I'm getting on in years.

So in summary: dunno.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jun 18 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #16
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Against.

I do believe in supporting the music industry (hence me using Spotify premium now and I used to buy lots from iTunes) and I'd probably feel guilty if I illegally drownloaded everything.

I don't want to wait for months for a song to get released in the UK though before I start playing it though, I wish record companies would finally get the message that we want songs now (especially for spotify, holding back a stream just to get visibility on the iTunes frontpage is ridiculous). Also beatport is seriously overpriced and a lot of songs I love get released exclusively to beatport before being added on iTunes/streaming, but I will occasionally buy from there when I really like the song (e.g Pep & Rash - Rumors).

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jun 18 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #17
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spinning Adam =D @ Jun 18 2015, 07:18 PM) *
Another thing, the people who like to stream everything with a Spotify subscription and don't want to buy things individually when artists don't put things on streaming they're probably going to download illegally rolleyes.gif

this may be the case but I did actually buy some Ministry of Sound / Taylor Swift songs when they weren't on spotify, so I'm not sure.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 18 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #18
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

QUOTE('Dan @ Jun 18 2015, 07:29 PM) *
Also beatport is seriously overpriced and a lot of songs I love get released exclusively to beatport before being added on iTunes/streaming, but I will occasionally buy from there when I really like the song (e.g Pep & Rash - Rumors).

YES

I went on there a while back to buy Show Me Love and it was £1.63. FUCK RIGHT OFF.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jun 18 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #19
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Jun 18 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #20
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Jun 18 2015, 09:31 PM) *
I went on there a while back to buy Show Me Love and it was £1.63. FUCK RIGHT OFF.

Robyn ?
Is it possible to use I-Tunes from another country ?

The prices in Russian I-Tunes are very cheap : 15-20 rubles for 1 song, 1£ = 84 rubles.
For simple you can get new Muse album for only 150 rubles, new Florence & the Machine in deluxe version for 200 rubles e.t.c.

and 99 % Russians still use illegal downloading.

This post has been edited by Broken Heart: Jun 18 2015, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 12:55 PM