BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taylor Swift, Is she the most influential popstar on the planet today?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jonjo
post Jun 26 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #1
Together we are more.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,042

I am sure by now that we are all aware of Taylor vs. Streaming. Things clashed big time again last week after Swift had written an open later to Apple Music after finding out that artists were not going to be paid during their "First 3 months free" trial for their new streaming service. Apple were quick to respond (in under 24 hours I think!) and basically let Taylor Swift know that "they hear her".

And it's now been announced that '1989' WILL be available to stream via Apple Music!

Changing her tune! Taylor Swift to allow her album 1989 to stream on Apple Music after service does a U-turn on payments to artists

Apple Music and fans are being rewarded for the company's decision to listen to Taylor Swift.
Just days after the new streaming service agreed to pay artists during its free-trail to subscribers, the 25-year-old has revealed she will allow the service to stream her album 1989 for the first time ever.
On Thursday, the musical star took to Twitter to reveal her change of heart with both Apple and streaming of her album: 'After the events of this week, I've decided to put 1989 on Apple Music...and happily so.'

'This is simply the first time it's felt right in my gut to stream my album. Thank you, Apple, for your change of heart.'
The chance to stream Taylor's 2014 release is a big one for Apple Music ahead of its launch, as the album remains on iTunes' top 10 and has sold millions of copies.

The deal is not, however, be an exclusive one for the service, Apple has secured the exclusive streaming rights to Pharrell Williams while other artists are streaming exclusively on Jay Z's Tidal.
The star said: 'In case you're wondering if this is some exclusive deal like you've seen Apple do with other artists, it's not.'

The change of heart by Taylor is almost as big as the change of heart by Apple following the star and the service's public disagreement.
The superstar penned an open letter on Sunday morning, shaming the tech giant for its 'shocking' decision not to pay artists during a three-month free trial offered to subscribers.
The star said in the letter: 'I find it to be shocking, disappointing and completely unlike this historically progressive and generous company.

'This is about the new artist or band that has just released their first single and will not be paid for its success.
'This is about the young songwriter who just got his or her first cut and thought that the royalties from that would get them out of debt.
'This is about the producer who works tirelessly to innovate and create, just like the innovators and creators at Apple are pioneering in their field... but will not get paid for a quarter of a year's worth of plays on his or her songs.
'These are not the complaints of a spoiled, petulant child. These are the echoed sentiments of every artist, writer and producer in my social circles who are afraid to speak up publicly because we admire and respect Apple so much.'
She continued: 'Three months is a long time to go unpaid, and it is unfair to ask anyone to work for nothing. I say this with love, reverence, and admiration for everything else Apple has done.
'I hope that soon I can join them in the progression towards a streaming model that seems fair to those who create this music. I think this could be the platform that gets it right.
'But I say to Apple with all due respect, it's not too late to change this policy and change the minds of those in the music industry who will be deeply and gravely affected by this.
'We don't ask you for free iPhones. Please don't ask us to provide you with our music for no compensation.'
After hours of negotiations, the firm made a U-turn and agreed to pay every musician whose work is featured during the trial, which starts on June 30.
'We hear you @taylorswift13 and indie artists,' wrote Apple vice president Eddy Cue on Twitter, after he personally phoned the platinum-selling singer to deliver the news.
He added: 'Apple will always make sure that artist are paid. #AppleMusic will pay artist for streaming, even during customer's free trial period.'

Apple Music is set to go worldwide at the end of June, with monthly subscriptions costing $9.99 - or $14.99 for a family of up to six people.
The service will be free for three months so that users can try it out before signing up.
The dispute is the latest between music streaming companies and the Shake It Off singer, who is one of Spotify's most outspoken critics.

Taylor withdrew all of her music from Swedish-owned Spotify - which offers a free tier that is supported by adverts - saying it would negatively impact album sales and did not provide the compensation artists deserve.
Spotify says that it pays back artists and has dished out $3 billion in royalties since its launch in 2008.
Instead, her music - except for 1989 - is available on Jay Z's pay-for subscription service, Tidal.

SOURCE
So Taylor has quite possibly just changed the music industry in a huge way, not just for today but for the future. Is she the most influential popstar today?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jun 26 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Members
Member No.: 116

A lot of people I know think that this was orchestrated between Taylor and Apple, I can't imagine this is the case but I'm too cynical to not be certain about that.

Regardless though, she is undeniably incredibly influential, in the same way that Rihanna was in her 2010 imperial phase (I SWEAR there wasn't a single girl that didn't have bright red hair that winter). It still seems odd to look back and think that I bought her first album before she was even that popular in the US back in 2007 (?), I never could have imagined what was to come.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jun 26 2015, 03:38 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

Taylor is easily the most influential popstar at the moment. Katy is nowhere to be seen and I think she has passed her peak anyway, the same seems to be the case for Rihanna and Beyoncé's influence has gone downhill a bit after the disaster of Tidal.

I think Taylor gets a lot more respect than most other pop girls as she has worked her way up from the bottom and she's always written her own songs, the latter of which being something that Rihanna can't say. I think if Katy or Rihanna had written the same letter to Apple, they wouldn't have responded in the same way - at least so urgently.

Of course there is the people who say the whole Taylor vs. Apple thing was a fantastically planned PR stunt, it did all come together perfectly timed admittedly. But even if it was, and I don't quite believe it was, it would have only worked with Taylor due to the musical respect she has and the fact she is undeniably the biggest music star on the planet at this moment.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 26 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #4
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

So did she not trust Spotify or something???
Good news anyway. Maybe finally we'll stop seeing her singles constantly re-enter the top 40 midweek only to find it's at 50 something the Sunday rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jun 26 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

She doesn't agree with Spotify free ad-supported on-demand tier as the price that tier pays artists is so low and she feels music, not just her music but everyone's music, is worth more than that.

Other streaming services don't have a free ad-supported on-demand tier (only radio stations such as Apple's Beats 1 for example), and I expect that '1989' will end up on most streaming services in the future - she's probably just trying it out with one service first.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Jun 26 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #6
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

I get those ideas about it being orchestrated (I don't believe it myself, but it is something that has been on my mind!) between them both. Apple have played it smart. VERY smart. Taylor has no exclusives (like Rihanna with Tidal) and Katy hasn't pulled her recent releases from streaming, so people could go elsewhere for her material. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't know about Taylor vs. streaming, so Apple getting the rights to '1989' is a huge deal for them!

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jun 26 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #7
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I'd agree with her being one of the most influential people right now and I have no problem with that what so ever, I love Taylor and the thing with Apple can only be a good thing. I wasn't going to bother using Apple Music since I am constantly using Spotify and have been for years so it's what I'm comfortable using and I have years worth of music saved onto it already, but honestly hearing that 1989 (and I hope Taylor's other albums) will be on it is making me rethink that. I'm sure that's the case with a lot of other people. Taylor Swift will probably cause more people to use Apple Music than there would have been before, it's basically what's making it stand out against the likes of Spotify right now tbh

I'm still not 100% sure on why Taylor Swift took all her music off of Spotify though huh.gif

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jun 26 2015, 04:08 PM
Post #8
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Taylor is definitely the biggest popstar in the world right now even if the whole Taylor vs Apple thing was orchestrated. Reminds me of Rihanna's domination a few years ago really, I'm sure if both were to release new singles tomorrow Taylor's would chart higher.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Jun 26 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Lindsey ♌ @ Jun 26 2015, 04:58 PM) *
I'd agree with her being one of the most influential people right now and I have no problem with that what so ever, I love Taylor and the thing with Apple can only be a good thing. I wasn't going to bother using Apple Music since I am constantly using Spotify and have been for years so it's what I'm comfortable using and I have years worth of music saved onto it already, but honestly hearing that 1989 (and I hope Taylor's other albums) will be on it is making me rethink that. I'm sure that's the case with a lot of other people. Taylor Swift will probably cause more people to use Apple Music than there would have been before, it's basically what's making it stand out against the likes of Spotify right now tbh

I'm still not 100% sure on why Taylor Swift took all her music off of Spotify though huh.gif

It has been confirmed that Taylor's entire back catalogue will be on Apple Music! biggrin.gif

Yeah the main reason she took all of her music off of Spotify is that she doesn't agree with their free ad-supported on-demand tier as the price that tier pays artists is so low and she feels music, not just her music but everyone's music, is worth more than that.

Taylor's albums - aside from '1989' which will be an Apple exclusive for the time being - are on all other major streaming services I believe as they don't offer the free on-demand tier (just radio stations).

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jun 26 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #10
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE('Dan @ Jun 26 2015, 05:08 PM) *
Taylor is definitely the biggest popstar in the world right now even if the whole Taylor vs Apple thing was orchestrated. Reminds me of Rihanna's domination a few years ago really, I'm sure if both were to release new singles tomorrow Taylor's would chart higher.

Unless Rihanna's streaming advantage places her higher!

(Although that girl is driving her career into the ground at rapid speed, so perhaps)

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Jun 26 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #11
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

-

This post has been edited by Electric Top 10: Apr 24 2016, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jun 26 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #12
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Broken Heart @ Jun 26 2015, 05:33 PM) *
It's a death for her EPIC album sales. cry.gif

I'm sure she'll still sell LOTS of albums, streaming didn't hurt the sales of other massive albums in recent times like Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith's much.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 26 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #13
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Yes. She is exactly what all popstars should be, rather than selling with sex or controversy or stupid gimmicks! She's a rare kind of popstar who really cares about her fans (the other big example there I can think of is Lady Gaga) and the industry, the latter of which is shown in this. I do use Spotify's free version but I shall pay for iTunes music after the free trial, because Taylor is my favourite singer and the biggest loss from Spotify for me. But I don't think artists are paid enough from people consuming for free, which is what Taylor is getting at. People who randomly hate her can call her greedy all she wants (I've seen some people saying that on twitter) but she's actually standing up for this and doing something about what's wrong with the industry.

She has the power etc. to do it which I'd argue not many artists do at all! I can't think of a popstar bigger than her, even the likes of Rihanna are in decline at the moment (although I do think if she pulls her finger out and gets better material she can easily bounce back).

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 26 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jun 26 2015, 06:28 PM) *
Yes. She is exactly what all popstars should be, rather than selling with sex or controversy or stupid gimmicks! She's a rare kind of popstar who really cares about her fans (the other big example there I can think of is Lady Gaga) and the industry, the latter of which is shown in this. I do use Spotify's free version but I shall pay for iTunes music after the free trial, because Taylor is my favourite singer and the biggest loss from Spotify for me. But I don't think artists are paid enough from people consuming for free, which is what Taylor is getting at. People who randomly hate her can call her greedy all she wants (I've seen some people saying that on twitter) but she's actually standing up for this and doing something about what's wrong with the industry.

She has the power etc. to do it which I'd argue not many artists do at all! I can't think of a popstar bigger than her, even the likes of Rihanna are in decline at the moment (although I do think if she pulls her finger out and gets better material she can easily bounce back).

This.

I love Taylor and she's bigger now than I think any other artist has been at any time (except for Katy Perry in 2010/2011 and Gaga in her peak years).

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Jun 26 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #15
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

-

This post has been edited by Electric Top 10: Apr 24 2016, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jun 26 2015, 06:20 PM
Post #16
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(andreweeyor @ Jun 26 2015, 06:33 PM) *
This.

I love Taylor and she's bigger now than I think any other artist has been at any time (except for Katy Perry in 2010/2011 and Gaga in her peak years).

I would say that's incorrect personally.

Adele?

Britney in the early 00s?

Madonna at various intervals when she was relevant?

Just to name a few examples.

This post has been edited by mr_aly: Jun 26 2015, 06:20 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 26 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #17
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

She's bigger than anyone recently but I don't think anyone now, even being as big as Taylor, could come close to the hysteria of Britney, Madonna and The Beatles for example at their peaks.

+Quote Post
Jester
post Jun 26 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #18
On Hold
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12

QUOTE(andreweeyor @ Jun 26 2015, 06:33 PM) *
This.

At any time?! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Jun 26 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #19
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, i don't think anyone can match the Britney and Madge hysteria.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 26 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Jun 26 2015, 07:20 PM) *
I would say that's incorrect personally.

Adele?

Britney in the early 00s?

Madonna at various intervals when she was relevant?

Just to name a few examples.

Maybe.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 09:31 AM