BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heathrow Expansion, Have they got it right
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
What is the best Airport expansion idea?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
sm1ffj
post Jul 1 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,629
   No Gallery Pics

Has the commission tasked to recommend the expansion got it right, discuss and vote in the poll what would be better in your opinion.

I have chosen some possibles, I may have missed some.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jul 1 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #2
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

There will be some major fight over this, as Gatwick will not take the decision lightly.

Not quite sure why we want to make Heathrow and the M25 even busier than it actually is!? The Gatwick expansion made the most logical sense to me.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 1 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Well CaMORON said 'no ifs no buts no third runway' in 2009 so will be great watching him squirm over this pretty unaminous report.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 1 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

Anyway I don't think a new runway is needed. How about bringing the rail network into the 21st Century and reduce the number of internal flights. Wait, oh thats right the Conservative government have already screwed rail up already.

OH WELL.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jul 1 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #5
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jul 1 2015, 09:22 PM) *
Anyway I don't think a new runway is needed. How about bringing the rail network into the 21st Century and reduce the number of internal flights. Wait, oh thats right the Conservative government have already screwed rail up already.

OH WELL.

This has been on the cards for a long time though .. it's all about our status as a global power. Heathrow would bring the most money, but I think Gatwick is a better option, plus far cheaper for the taxpayer as well. A third runway at Heathrow would be massive cost to us all.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 1 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Well the report recommends Heathrow 'unanimously' so I don't really see the point in arguing against it? This is a serious and well thought out bid for expansion that far exceeds that of Gatwick. If it has to happen I say go with the experts..

+Quote Post
Juranamo
post Jul 1 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #7
"Everything seems different the second time around."
Member No.: 5,830
   No Gallery Pics

I think a second runway at Gatwick makes the most logical sense to me. Stansted could also do with another though, but I guess it's nowhere near as busy as Gatwick. It'd be nice for London to be served by 2 really big airports!

I don't know what I the Manston airport is like though.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 5 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 1 2015, 09:26 PM) *
This has been on the cards for a long time though .. it's all about our status as a global power. Heathrow would bring the most money, but I think Gatwick is a better option, plus far cheaper for the taxpayer as well. A third runway at Heathrow would be massive cost to us all.

But how much would it bring? A lot of this is about making Heathrow a major hub. In other words, people fly in to Heathrow and fly out again within an hour or two.

We should be attempting to reduce the demand for flying, not just pandering to the business community all the time. Why are businesses not making more use of the internet? Is it really necessary for executives to fly into London, attend a few meetings and then fly back home?

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jul 5 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #9
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I like Heathrow's 4 runway option personally. Brings us into line with what most major hub's have these days and finally gives Heathrow breathing space. I'd actually like to see a second runway at Gatwick too to force some actual competition between them.

I do think that Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh should be targeted for upgrades too. (2nd runways to all please)

A functioning and cost-effective rail network would help reduce some domestic traffic, but there is a significant number of people on those shuttle services between Scotland and Heathrow that are using Heathrow as a transit point out because BA decided ages ago to move to only flying internationally, year round, from London. Improving the connectedness of Glasgow and Edinburgh could drop 20/30 flights a day between London and Scotland. I think over the summer I can fly to a few places from GLA/EDI with BA but the only consistent year round BA routes that Scottish Airports get are to LCY, LGW and LHR. sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 07:09 AM