BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Live8 - 10 years on
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGhostPensmith
post Jul 2 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #1
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I'd completely lost sight of the fact that it was but today, 10 years ago, the Live8 concerts took place around the world: https://home.bt.com/news/world-news/july-2-...-11363989853926

I was fresh out of school and GCSEs and was off being a bit of a rebel at the time as I recall, so didn't really remember much of the actual concerts on 2nd July. I did, however, watch the Edinburgh one on the day of the actual G8 summit a few days afterwards (McFly were on the bill of that one and I was in the throes of my fanboying days of their stuff).

I remember being part of the 'Make Poverty History' campaign at our school as well - me and about 50 others were photographed for a local newspaper dressed in white for an aerial shot spelling out 'Make Poverty History'.

I did think to myself the other day why there wasn't a similar set of gigs this year - then remembered how dreadful the last Band Aid record was and how much of a backlash it received - Bob & Bono putting paid to that I'm sure. So 10 years on...could this sort of large scale event work again or is it a thing of the past?

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Jul 2 2015, 01:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Jul 2 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #2
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Jul 2 2015, 01:13 PM) *
I remember being part of the 'Make Poverty History' campaign at our school as well - me and about 50 others were photographed for a local newspaper dressed in white for an aerial shot spelling out 'Make Poverty History'.

OMG we did the same!!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jul 3 2015, 05:21 AM
Post #3
King of nothing at all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

QUOTE(FinalFantasy7Bes @ Jul 2 2015, 03:56 PM) *
OMG we did the same!!! laugh.gif
Maybe you went to the same school ohmy.gif

For me it's hard to say whether one of these events would work again, but I'm sure they're not a thing of the past. It's only a matter of years before another one gets planned. It may or may not make a difference, but someone will always have the means/ambition to try.

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Jul 3 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #4
TheGhostPensmith 👻
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Riser @ Jul 3 2015, 06:21 AM) *
Maybe you went to the same school ohmy.gif

For me it's hard to say whether one of these events would work again, but I'm sure they're not a thing of the past. It's only a matter of years before another one gets planned. It may or may not make a difference, but someone will always have the means/ambition to try.

Given FinalFantasy7Bes is a Bhutanese gentleman I doubt it strongly. But still. Nice to know local newspaper editors the world over had the same thought bubble in their head the same time Essex Chronicle had theirs in spring of 2005. Choice.

I think any similar event being organised or being a success rests on it needing to be spearheaded by someone who isn't Bob Geldof and/or Bono. Or at least, someone who isn't a bit all 'Oooh, I've got Fairtrade written on my hand in black marker and swear a bit, I'm well ecological me'.

A few years ago on Channel 4, Kevin Bishop had his 'Star Stories' series which parodied the life stories of noted famous people - like Piers Morgan, but without the grimacing - and on his George Michael one, it cut to a scene of Bishop as George 'recording' his line in the original Band Aid single, which for the purposes of comedy, amounted to the following:

'Famine. Oooh famine. Ooooh yeah, famine. It's really bad, yeahhhh...famine'.

Etc.

I think that's part of the problem with Band Aid and Live Aid. Every new version of it since has just reminded you how patronising the whole thing was on the part of those behind it. With the way the world and technology has moved since even 10 years ago, it's hard to encourage goodwill behind a charity record or event on the same scale as the original now.

No one however, immediately springs to mind with the manpower of Geldof back then to spearhead a similar event now.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jul 3 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I recall having just finished my GCSEs and returning from a week away with my grandparents. I really enjoyed the live8 coverage. It was from back when music was good #old

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jul 3 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #6
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

10 years ago - is that it!!?? It seems forever ago now.

I really enjoyed the concert, it was filled with lots of moments. I remember the Kaiser Chiefs opening the US one haha, so random!

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Jul 3 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

Imagine if every artist put 5% of their album that was out at the time towards it...

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Jul 5 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #8
TheGhostPensmith 👻
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(barbaric_dan @ Jul 3 2015, 09:15 PM) *
Imagine if every artist put 5% of their album that was out at the time towards it...

This is the thing. As it was, I seem to remember Mariah Carey breaking the 'no new singles to be performed' embargo they had in place - hence why 'We Belong Together' appeared at #2 on the following Sunday's chart.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:57 PM