BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Student maintenance grants SCRAPPED, Budget 2015..
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jul 9 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I am sure we have all read about this, so how do you feel? The grants have been deemed "unaffordable" with more than half a million students in England receiving one. Critics argue that many low and middle income students could be put off university by these measures.

The grants cost taxpayers £1.57bn a year. Do you agree with the cuts and the savings it will lead to or does the hindrance to those that may already struggle to afford a higher education outweigh this?

Read more about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33444557

Interested to hear what people that have now graduated think about the maintenance grants they may/may not have recieved, current students and those that are about to start university!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jul 9 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #2
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I received these grants and I'm very disappointed they're going, they helped a lot and it's good to have just a bit less debt now. Those who are going now will have even more loans to shoulder. And that's just more debt that in the end won't be paid back to the government, shifting the burden of responsibility a lot further down the line. It's a disappointing and shortsighted policy.

I don't feel there was any need to put yet more pressure on the less well off for getting an education, it is something that shouldn't be divided by class.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jul 9 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #3
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

This is a stupid move that achieves nothing. At the end of the day the students are still getting this money but because it's now loans all that will happen is the Student Debt mountain will continue to climb, students will find themselves paying off debt until they retire and it'll just become a mess for future generations to solve.

Student Finance system in E&W just isn't sustainable.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 9 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #4
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I tweeted about this and somebody countered that "most people won't have to pay it back anyway" and that is true I suppose to an extent but then in this case this won't save much money. It's nothing but a calculated attack on the poor, yet another stumbling block to education when it should be available to everybody.

+Quote Post
Kath
post Jul 9 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,980

QUOTE(Silas @ Jul 9 2015, 05:57 PM) *
This is a stupid move that achieves nothing. At the end of the day the students are still getting this money but because it's now loans all that will happen is the Student Debt mountain will continue to climb, students will find themselves paying off debt until they retire and it'll just become a mess for future generations to solve.

Student Finance system in E&W just isn't sustainable.

Totally agree and in the (fairly) short term - the taxpayer is still footing the bill - but it does tend to put people off by thinking long-term (whether they end up paying it back or not - the student (and parents) that its its a looming debt in the future.

Its made my son's mind up though (he was dithering about whether to spend the next three years in an educational establishment anyway) he's definitely not going now.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Jul 9 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #6
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jul 9 2015, 05:51 PM) *
it is something that shouldn't be divided by class.

That's the problem with the whole budget though. Purely designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jul 9 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #7
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I see this in lots of different ways. We have too many people who go to University just for the sake of it - they really shouldn't be going (it baffles me that you can get to University with 2x Ds and an E!), but then again you don't want to put people off who are middle/lower income who SHOULD be going to University.

Very similar to EMA, it's really easy to cheat the system. Lots of people who don't really need the grants, can still get them because there are loopholes to the system. So lots of tax payer money is going to students who don't need the money, they are just getting it through finding ways through the system. The problem is, the administration cost it would take to make this process effective and efficient properly would be crazy, and a massive extra cost to the taxpayer.

I think it is really sad that some people who should be going to University will be put off. But even then debt is a part of life, it sucks but a lot of people are in debt, and it's ok just as long as it is manageable.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jul 9 2015, 06:00 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

University should be a privilege and not a last resort, but it definitely shouldn't be based on monetary circumstances rather than academic skill (and especially not if they're not serious about studying and end up doing poorly in their degree, I know that doesn't apply to everyone, but still). Putting people with high academic skill but low income off is just not what should be happening.

I dunno how this really benefits anyone in the long run, cos it's just more loans on top of the huge fees already which will stifle young people's future. Kinda sad to see this mucking up so much recently (I'll forever be thankful for going before the tuition fees rose!)

(this has pretty much all already been said lol, but still v. sad to see)

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 9 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

the very established class system was difficult for the very poor (and we were VERY poor once upon a time), there were few chances of getting out of it in terms of universities and colleges unless you were well off (which includes the middle class), so it was essential to have grants - having a grant made my mind up to go despite much family opposition, as it meant I could manage by working for the cash to avoid my parents paying out any contributions.

In a fair society one shouldn't be able to buy your idiot offspring a bright future, while bright children end up lower down in society. The tories claim to be the party that supports those who help themselves, but what they mean is they are the party that help themselves avoid tax, keep the best jobs, get the nod from others in the same situation. Money is power. Anybody from any background could run a multi-national company. Look at what they paid the nobs that had no idea how to run banks without driving them into the ground.....

A trained chimp could have done better. Of course if any of them came from council estates in Yorkshire then I'm going to look foolish and bitter aren't I? Nahhh tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 9 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jul 9 2015, 09:38 PM) *
the very established class system was difficult for the very poor (and we were VERY poor once upon a time), there were few chances of getting out of it in terms of universities and colleges unless you were well off (which includes the middle class), so it was essential to have grants - having a grant made my mind up to go despite much family opposition, as it meant I could manage by working for the cash to avoid my parents paying out any contributions.

In a fair society one shouldn't be able to buy your idiot offspring a bright future, while bright children end up lower down in society. The tories claim to be the party that supports those who help themselves, but what they mean is they are the party that help themselves avoid tax, keep the best jobs, get the nod from others in the same situation. Money is power. Anybody from any background could run a multi-national company. Look at what they paid the nobs that had no idea how to run banks without driving them into the ground.....

A trained chimp could have done better. Of course if any of them came from council estates in Yorkshire then I'm going to look foolish and bitter aren't I? Nahhh tongue.gif

Indeed not. After all, one of them might end up as Prime Minister. Oh, wait...

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jul 9 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Will this just be for new students or will it affect my daughter going in to her third year?

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jul 10 2015, 12:04 AM
Post #12
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

As someone who just left uni (well, last year) myself I can say I wouldn't have minded this at all. I have been quite lucky in that I was born into a family with a solid financial standing, but I still availed of the maximum amount of loans available to me. I guess, for me, debt is just part of the student experience and if there's a bit more that meant I had to pay for another few years I'd have been fine with that.

That said, given the numbers who will pay back only a fraction or even none, it kind of renders the entire thing pointless. It's a saving that probably won't actually SAVE a thing and only make it more likely for a portion of people to avoid going to Uni at all, which is not a good thing at all. I'm not opposed to cuts at all, but basically this one just seems ill thought out to me (which yes, before anyone jumps in, could be applied to most government policy).

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 10 2015, 12:56 AM
Post #13
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

oh crap. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jul 10 2015, 02:32 AM
Post #14
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Totally gross policy. Even aside from the really disingenuous implications for government budgeting by assuming it's money that will be paid back to the government at some point, it makes it so that the least well-off students that make a success of themselves will end up having to pay up to an extra £10k for the privilege of having gone to university than those that didn't need grants to fund living costs. Literally a regressive tax on social mobility.

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Jul 10 2015, 08:50 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

Surely this cut will terminate a huge number of people going to university? For a lot of poorer, less stable famillies that grant (plus probably a full time job) is needed. I mean no student is going to be able to afford London anymore.

+Quote Post
Harve
post Jul 10 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #16
when I notice the world is falling apart I will run a bath
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

Well I'm gonna directly suffer because of this. But if I'm lucky enough to be earning enough to actually need to pay it back, I'm not sure if I'll be complaining.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Jul 10 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #17
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Jul 10 2015, 02:32 AM) *
Totally gross policy. Even aside from the really disingenuous implications for government budgeting by assuming it's money that will be paid back to the government at some point, it makes it so that the least well-off students that make a success of themselves will end up having to pay up to an extra £10k for the privilege of having gone to university than those that didn't need grants to fund living costs. Literally a regressive tax on social mobility.

Well put!!!

It saved little money but impedes people from a less well off background from achieving more.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 11 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(FinalFantasy7Bes @ Jul 10 2015, 03:14 PM) *
Well put!!!

It saved little money but impedes people from a less well off background from achieving more.

Or, to borrow a phrase used by the Tories against Labour, it's a tax on aspiration.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 09:06 PM