BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Swearing In Music
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post Jul 12 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

Following the Ariana Grande scandal and people saying it's a bad example to her fans, do you think swearing in music is bad for children and fans? I'm not one to complain about swearing given how much I do it blush.gif, and in my school most people swore in the playground by the time we were 11.

Do you think swearing in music should be discouraged? Vote yes for yes it should and no for no it shouldn't.

Interested to see conflicting views on this! (I think we all know what Barbaric Dan's going to vote tho)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jul 12 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #2
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I f***ing love cussing in music.

Children are irrelevant, tbh. We have kidz bop for a reason.

This post has been edited by toxic_air: Jul 13 2015, 04:17 AM

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jul 12 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #3
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

there's been another Ariana scandal?!? or did I just miss the part where she was swearing in the 'doughnuts/I hate America' scandal.

don't really care about swearing in music myself, though it should be discouraged if your main fanbase is mostly children

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 12 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #4
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Yes there should still be clean edits of songs, but when there's rap songs and there's so many blanked words it gets quite annoying. Sometimes they replace swearing with blanks and sometimes more friendly words (like bitch to chick) but why can't they do this every time instead of a blank? banghead.gif

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jul 12 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #5
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I don't mind swearing in music generally, most songs with swearing in them have a non-explicit version for radio play etc anyway. I do prefer listening to "cleaner" versions though because I don't really swear, I know people say it's different when you're singing along to a song but still, I guess it's just being brought up thinking swearing is wrong it still makes me feel like I'm doing something I'm not supposed to if I say it laugh.gif

The amount of songs that are about "adult" topics though that little kids don't understand the meaning of and sing along to is just as bad as having a swear word in a song imo, they're still gonna hear swearing one way or another so I don't think it's really a big deal. Music videos as well, there doesn't seem to be much of a filter on them anymore either tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jul 12 2015, 08:11 PM
Post #6
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Lindsey ♌ @ Jul 12 2015, 09:06 PM) *
I don't mind swearing in music generally, most songs with swearing in them have a non-explicit version for radio play etc anyway. I do prefer listening to "cleaner" versions though because I don't really swear, I know people say it's different when you're singing along to a song but still, I guess it's just being brought up thinking swearing is wrong it still makes me feel like I'm doing something I'm not supposed to if I say it laugh.gif

The amount of songs that are about "adult" topics though that little kids don't understand the meaning of and sing along to is just as bad as having a swear word in a song imo, they're still gonna hear swearing one way or another so I don't think it's really a big deal. Music videos as well, there doesn't seem to be much of a filter on them anymore either tongue.gif

I agree on the adult themes. Being a 10 year old in a Catholic school at the time, I can only imagine what teachers thought of the kids singing Horny and Boom Boom Boom Boom without really knowing what they meant back in the 90s.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Jul 12 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #7
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I dont mind Swearing in songs but songs with Adult themes is a different matter as kids sing along without knowing what the song is about I.e. Jessie J Bang Bang for example.

+Quote Post
Umi
post Jul 12 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #8
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(harryflynn0908 @ Jul 12 2015, 09:26 PM) *
I dont mind Swearing in songs but songs with Adult themes is a different matter as kids sing along without knowing what the song is about I.e. Jessie J Bang Bang for example.

If they don't know what they're singing about then what's the harm? Literally the only thing that happens regarding kids singing along to sexual songs without knowing is realising it a decade or two later and then laughing at what you never realised at the time.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Jul 12 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #9
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

QUOTE(Umi @ Jul 12 2015, 09:30 PM) *
If they don't know what they're singing about then what's the harm? Literally the only thing that happens regarding kids singing along to sexual songs without knowing is realising it a decade or two later and then laughing at what you never realised at the time.

That's true we were all probably like that when younger laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jul 12 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #10
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
   No Gallery Pics

reminds me of the time an adult overheard me saying how I really liked 'S&M' laugh.gif (had to explain it was the Rihanna song, not actual S&M)

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 12 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I don't really have any problem with it when it hasn't been done on purpose to drive attention towards the track.

However, when it has*, as per “Fuck It (I Don’t Want You Back)” and “F.U.R.B. (F U Right Back)” it clearly demonstrates a lack of inspiration and thus should be derided for the mess that it is. I think the most offensive Top 75 hit is Kunt And The Gang's “Use My Arsehole As A c**t” (#66 in December 2010) which you kind of hoped made the Top 40 just to see how Reggie would have announced it. laugh.gif

* An exception to this is the Smokie/Roy 'Chubby' Brown's version of “Living Next Door To Alice (Who The Fuck Is Alice)” which just worked for some reason.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jul 12 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #12
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jul 12 2015, 09:48 PM) *
I think the most offensive Top 75 hit is Kunt And The Gang's “Use My Arsehole As A c**t” (#66 in December 2010) which you kind of hoped made the Top 40 just to see how Reggie would have announced it. laugh.gif

I remember that christmas #1 campaign laugh.gif I would've loled if that made top 40, I imagine it would be introduced as 'there's a new entry at #33 from K And The Gang but at #32...' just to get around having to say the title (let alone actually play the song)

the guy behind it was very pleased with the position anyway as it was one place ahead of The Beatles 'Let It Be'

+Quote Post
Snowblake
post Jul 12 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

On a personal level, I don't really care much for swearing. I don't like doing it, and tend to avoid it as much as I can. But, on the other hand, I know that other people don't necessarily hold the same view and I respect that. That said, swearing (like anything in music) is a tool, and whether the lyrics of a song swears or not doesn't really have an effect on the quality of the song. It's more in the way that it's used that effects it. There are a few songs where a...colorful use of...colorful language gives the song a little more "umph", so to speak (examples off the top of my head: "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day, a certain 2011 Cee Lo Green song (you know the one), "Master Exploder" by Tenacious D, "As I Am" by Dream Theater). On the other hand, using it wrong or badly can really lessen the quality of the song ("Jackpot" by 311, "This Summer's Gonna Hurt" by Maroon 5, "Psycho" by Muse, "Earth Day" by Devin Townsend).

But I think the main problem with poor use of swearing in music is this weird perception in the arts that "edgy" is a synonym for "better". So the edgier it is and the more they swear and do controversial things, the higher the quality of the song will be and the more it'll sell, right? Except, in reality, that shows a lack of creativity on the part of the artist who has to rely more on a gimmicky controversy to make their song good or sell. Which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. :/

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jul 12 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #14
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I really don't mind swearing in songs most of the time. In some cases I do prefer the clean version though where it's sometimes a bit much, such as in Anaconda by Nicki Minaj. Most of the time though, it really doesn't bother me, swearing doesn't offend me particularly.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Jul 12 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #15
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

But won´t SOMEBODY please think of the CHILDREN??!!!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jul 12 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I don't mind the odd swear word in songs at all unless it comes off in a gratuitous fashion, in which case it can be a little off-putting.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jul 12 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #17
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

It has its place. I think it works best when it feels entirely natural to the track - like, the current Maroon 5 single has to have one of the most cringeworthy titles ever.

+Quote Post
all is vanity.
post Jul 12 2015, 10:04 PM
Post #18
I will leave my heart at the door.
Member No.: 1,454

QUOTE(andreweeyor @ Jul 12 2015, 03:50 PM) *
Do you think swearing in music should be discouraged? Vote yes for yes it should and no for no it shouldn't.

No. That's what parental advisory labels are for. They have clean versions of everything as well.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Jul 12 2015, 10:04 PM
Post #19
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

I think if swearing can be avoided, then always take the non explicit option.

Outside of recordings I do think anyone in the music industry should avoid using swearing - for example I've seen retweeted on Twitter a few times Louis from 1D having posted tweets with swear words in. Just concerning how someone who is so respected/looked up to by young fans doesn't really care for use of language, that's equally bothering for me.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jul 12 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #20
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I don't mind the split between the explicit and clean versions, but like Qassandra said, there is a fine line in censoring where it seems so natural that editing can damage the overall appeal of the song (i.e. "Work Bitch").

Then there are instances like Radio Disney where they dilute the song so much that the overall power of the song is gone (i.e. their edit of "Stitches", which is GRATING).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 03:33 AM