BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Man arrested for charging his phone
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
dancember
post Jul 14 2015, 12:37 PM
Post #1
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015...verground-train

A man has accused British Transport police of being “overzealous” and “ridiculous” after he was arrested for charging his iPhone using a socket on a London Overground train.

Robin Lee, a 45-year-old artist based in Islington, was handcuffed and taken to a British Transport Police station on Caledonian Road after his arrest for “abstracting electricity”.

Lee was then arrested on a second offence of “unacceptable behaviour” after “becoming aggressive” when objecting to his prior arrest.

A police spokesman said a “decision on further action would be made in due course”.

Speaking to the Evening Standard, Lee said he had been confronted by a police community support officer on the overground train from Hackney Wick to Camden Road on 10 July. The Overground is part of Transport For London’s wider network that also includes London Underground and the buses.

“She said I’m abstracting electricity. She kept saying it’s a crime. We were just coming into the station and there happened to be about four police officers on the platform.

“She called to them and said: ‘This guy’s been abstracting electricity, he needs to be arrested’.”

Abstracting electricity is an offence under section 13 of the Theft Act 1968. It carries a maximum custodial sentence of five years.

Lee, who tweeted about the incident and posted a picture of his arrest sheet which has since been deleted, went on to tell the Standard: “I was just incredulous. It was an overzealous community support officer. They should never have arrested me, they knew it was ridiculous. The whole thing was just ridiculous.”

Advertisement

The artist was later “de-arrested” for the offence.

lmao the things people get arrested for these days, yes he was in the wrong for using the socket but this is ridiculous.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snowblake
post Jul 14 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

"So, what are you guys in for?"

"I robbed the Bank of England and made off with £450,000 before ending in an hour long car chase with the police."

"I stole a working tank and used it in street races for a week. If anyone beat me, I'd drag them out of their car and then blow it up."

"I ran an underground clown-themed terrorist outfit for four months before some jerk snitched on me. If I ever found that guy..."

"What 'bout you, kid? You've been awfully quiet. What are you in for?"

"I...I uh, I charged my phone for a couple of minutes at a London Overground train station."

"That's hardcore, dude."

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jul 14 2015, 01:08 PM
Post #3
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

It's an easy mistake to make to assume that an outlet is fair game though these days. Most train companies have numerous plugs on them for charging electronics. So many times my life has been saved by a glorious plug socket on a Transpennine, Scotrail, East Coast or CrossCountry service.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jul 14 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #4
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Uh, I often use a plug socket on trains to charge my phone...

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Jul 14 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #5
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Why would they put one there if you can't use it wot

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jul 14 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #6
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

What an odd story, I mean I wouldn't do it myself because I'm not surgically attached to my phone as 90% of people seem to be these days, but so weird that he would be ARRESTED for it, even temporarily. Sounds like someone on a power trip.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 14 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Jul 14 2015, 02:34 PM) *
What an odd story, I mean I wouldn't do it myself because I'm not surgically attached to my phone as 90% of people seem to be these days, but so weird that he would be ARRESTED for it, even temporarily. Sounds like someone on a power trip.

I think it's time you got your coat

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jul 14 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I see them on the St. Pancras to Sheffield train that I've been on a lot lately since my mum became ill and it says "for laptops and mobile phones only" so they must mean you to use them for those!! Maybe some train companies are different though. TBH, come to think of it I've never actually seen anyone using one.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Jul 14 2015, 01:58 PM

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 14 2015, 02:24 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

He wasn't using one of the power points by the side of the seats. He was using one which was specifically for the use of cleaners, and had a sign saying it was not for passengers' use.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 14 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #10
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

lmao someone SACK these kind of police. Police who fail their job like this come from America so if you want to be a Sergeant Asshole move to America plz drama.gif

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jul 14 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #11
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(*Tim @ Jul 14 2015, 02:20 PM) *
Why would they put one there if you can't use it wot

As Suedehead has mentioned, it's intended for cleaners only and from what I've read elsewhere, it isn't wrong to use the socket as such but the sign is there for safety purposes as the voltage may shoot up as the train slows down or something.

I read this story yesterday (on a couple of railway forums that I frequent teresa.gif) and it seems very one-sided and doesn't have all the facts. It sounds less 'man arrested for charging phone' and more 'man told by police to stop charging phone, arrested when he fails to comply and becomes aggressive'.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 06:18 AM