Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 20 year old MP goes viral
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Jul 18 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #1
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

With nearly 450k hits on youtube and appearing on, 20 year-old newly elected MP, Mhairi Black, has exploded across the globe on the back of her maiden speech to parliament.

Given that Mhairi is probably the same age as the average Buzzjacker, does her success make you feel any more engaged with politics or motivated in any way?

For the most part the press coverage has been really positive. BBC Scotland showed themselves to be a shower of c**ts, focusing more on the SNP being told off for clapping than the speech itself. Plus one Guardian article that grasped the wrong end of the stick as to why the SNP have risen to power in Scotland.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Izzy Dead People
post Jul 18 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #2
it's a long way forward, so trust in me
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

I enjoyed the speech a lot and it's come up quite a bit in conversation in real life too, which is unusual for something like an MP's maiden speech for me. She's certainly got attention from it.

As for the message I do broadly agree with most of what she's saying, particularly about forming an effective opposition to this government with Labour, I've never gone against the SNP on an ideological standpoint at all so most of it sounded very agreeable. I think it's very encouraging that someone so young is being seen doing this, I already try to keep engaged with politics as best I can (albeit not to the extent that I often post in the Politics forum because I don't feel I know enough most of the time) but the more it attracts the attention those who don't, the better.
+Quote Post
post Jul 19 2015, 02:38 AM
Post #3
hey, it's me
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

It was witty for a speech which went wrong so quickly. She basically upstood her own argument the second she cited Benn. Yep - Labour went wrong in 1983 when it realised it had to have some vague relevance to the public and not advocate a command economy. Totally following you there Mhairi.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2016 - 12:32 AM