BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is there, in your opinion, life elsewhere in the Galaxy, Or the Universe!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JSG
post Jul 22 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #1
'Run Away With Me'
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,473

What do you think?

Personally I don't know what to think.

I used to think there would definitely be life somewhere else. Now I'm talking intelligent life. I have no doubt in my mind that there is Microbiological life somewhere and that would be great to know because it would reinvigorate people in the search for intelligent life elsewhere but I just think that the fact humans have been broadcasting into the Universe for over 100 years and have not received even one signal back kind of points to either complex life is extremely rare or non existent and we humans are just a lucky strike so to speak and that is incredibly depressing.

But... On the other hand I refuse to belive we are the only intelligent life in the universe or even our Galaxy, I mean how could I? It's incredibly naive to think that we are just an accident or something special and that there is no grand civilization than ours.

Also there was the WOW signal that obviously was refuted as someone of space junk or error because there was no way at that time to check up the signal straight away and it had never been found since. I personally Hold out hope that that was the signal we've been looking for and we'll find it again. What do you guys think of that?

What is everyone else's take on this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jul 22 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I think there probably is some form of other life somewhere - perhaps not as developed as ours but in some form at least. I mean there are countless amounts of galaxies out there and of course there may be some that humans don't even know about. It's impossible to know everything, or to see everything with even the most advanced of telescopes or whatever.

+Quote Post
Rudolph
post Jul 22 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #3
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 2

There is life out there.... Spadam and Michael is proof enough dry.gif

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jul 22 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #4
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Undoubtedly. To me it seems utterly illogical and hubristic to assume we are the only example of intelligent, technologically advanced life in the universe. Not having a signal sent back or any form of contact is not proof we are alone at all, there are a myriad of reasons why that could be the case. Different/incompatible technologies, other life being too far away, other life not having any interest in us, humanity being a small speck in the grand scheme of things and actually pretty insignificant. Any and all make complete sense to me.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jul 22 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Seeing as our universe seems so vast, I can't see it being possible that there isn't life somewhere. Within our solar system? Probably not. Further than that? Absolutely. Though I highly doubt it would be ET or something Sigourney Weaver would kill. Life elsewhere would probably be disappointingly similar to the humans, animals and organisms of this planet.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 22 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

100% yes. The scale of the universe is unimaginably huge, both the size of it and the number of galaxies in it. We now know that planets are very common around stars, most likely they are inevitable - just look at the wonder and variety of worlds in our own solar system. Even if life evolving on any planet is incredibly rare - worst-case scenario we know it's happened on one world in our own galaxy of billions of stars, so that still leaves hundreds of billions of worlds in each galaxy with intelligent life.

The problem is also scale: time. Light takes so long to travel between stars (never mind galaxies) that even our earliest radio broadcasts will only have visited our very near neighbours, which is a tiny teeny fragment of the Milky Way. Even if there was a reply right away to the earliest signals it would take another 100 years to get back to us. Any older civilisations might have begun broadcasting aeons ago - but for how long would they bother? One big alien politician says "this is a waste of money we need for extra gromletriblets" and it stops. The chances of anyone hearing or sending signals we can pick up is really a shot in the dark. Time is also the problem for another reason - the chances of civilisations developing without being wiped out by passing meteors, diseases, self-destruction at some stage, and at the same time enough for them to communicate, is pretty unlikely.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath that we will ever know what aliens look like, but I'm sure they exist/existed/will exist... cool.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jul 22 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #7
masala me
Member No.: 12,929

Yes. Even if there isn't for light-years around, it won't matter, I would love to see comprehensive planetary charts of exo-solar systems, as that's on the brink of becoming a reality, once we find more Earth-like planets, the search will just intensify. And there are far too many Earth-like planets for life as we know it to have not evolved on one of them and that's without assuming that there are other forms of life that don't need what we think of as necessary for life to survive.

It's just it's all so far away, possibly in time as well as space, and given that as far as we know FTL travel isn't possible, we'll probably never hear from anyone else.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 22 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #8
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Jul 22 2015, 01:47 PM) *

Quiet you wink.gif
Yes I do believe there is. Odds would highly suggest it imo!

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jul 22 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #9
'Run Away With Me'

The main thing I can find on the Internet that does have scientists worried is that our Galaxy is old enough to have formed plenty of civilizations and we are a young species and planet so there's been plenty of time for other species to develop space travel and visit other systems or send out probes yet we have neither seen nor heard a thing. I can see in a way what they mean but there are any number of reasons why we haven't seen or heard anything. Another scientist speculated that life on earth could be the first and only life at the moment or one of many civilizations arriving at the same time postulating that the universe may have just been uninhabitable until life arose on Earth which would be a good thing.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jul 22 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #10
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm sure there is, it's just I highly doubt they're little green men in spaceships with galactic weaponry that are plotting to invade us one day, which is the image hammered into all of our heads. We can never imagine what they look like/who they are or if we'll ever actually find them, but I'm still sure that they're out there and who knows how we/they can advance over the centuries? It's not something you can really know, but I am certain that somewhere out there, there's SOMETHING.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jul 22 2015, 02:00 PM

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jul 22 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #11
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Star Wars is totally happening out there somewhere. I have to keep believing.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jul 22 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #12
masala me
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(JSG @ Jul 22 2015, 02:53 PM) *
The main thing I can find on the Internet that does have scientists worried is that our Galaxy is old enough to have formed plenty of civilizations and we are a young species and planet so there's been plenty of time for other species to develop space travel and visit other systems or send out probes yet we have neither seen nor heard a thing. I can see in a way what they mean but there are any number of reasons why we haven't seen or heard anything. Another scientist speculated that life on earth could be the first and only life at the moment or one of many civilizations arriving at the same time postulating that the universe may have just been uninhabitable until life arose on Earth which would be a good thing.

The Fermi paradox wub.gif Great thing to bring up in conversation.

I choose to believe that (if there are aliens that can get to us) that gets solved because of an alien Prime Directive. Or that we've only been putting out radio signals for a very very short time.

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jul 22 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #13
'Run Away With Me'

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jul 22 2015, 03:19 PM) *
The Fermi paradox wub.gif Great thing to bring up in conversation.

I choose to believe that that gets solved because of an alien Prime Directive. Or that we've only been putting out radio signals for a very very short time.

Ah I've heard of the Fermi Paradox but I was talking more about why the Fermi Paradox was created - The Great Silence. I like the Idea of a Prime Directive cause it paints a nice future for mankind and the future but then there is the Zoo Hypothesis laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Jul 22 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #14
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Jul 22 2015, 12:47 PM) *

Back under your rock, you pestilente puke!!

Almost certainly BUT the universo is 14 billion years old n has billions more. Soo it's not just a questionmark of wherr but also WHEN. Condiciones Have to be juuust right for human like or similar intelligence. A Jupiter-like planeta, right distance, right time, right place - gamma wave radiación etc.

We Have only been noticeable for 100 years with radio out of billions. Look at us grom 500 lightyears away and you see from before even Pocahontas times.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Jul 22 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

Also questionmark JSG brought up. with gamma radiación makin universo un inhabitable until well a few mil years back, we might be the start, the point 0.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jul 22 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #16
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I think it'd be incredibly naive to completely dismiss the idea of life existing somewhere else out there. I certainly believe there is, the question i struggle with is how intelligent such life is and whether we are the most intelligent.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Jul 22 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKübrick @ Jul 22 2015, 06:24 PM) *
I think it'd be incredibly naive to completely dismiss the idea of life existing somewhere else out there. I certainly believe there is, the question i struggle with is how intelligent such life is and whether we are the most intelligent.

That is the question.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 06:37 AM