BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Assisted suicide should be legalised'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'Assisted suicide should be legalised'
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Jul 22 2015, 05:37 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Recently, an attempt to overturn the UK law on assisted suicide and voluntary euthanasia failed. The campaign argued that those who wished to end their lives but were unable to do so should be able to seek assistance to do so without the nurse or doctor being criminalised.

As it currently stands, assisted suicide is prohibited by section 2(1) of the Suicide Act 1961 and voluntary euthanasia is considered to be murder under UK law. The debate now, is should this be the case or should the laws be relaxed to allow those that wish to voluntarily end their lives be allowed to do so without fear of prosecution for those that have assisted them? Are these people always in the right frame of mind to make such a decision logically?

If you are FOR you argue that the laws should be changed to allow assisted suicides to be decriminalised.
If you are AGAINST you believe the current laws are suitable as they are.

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'People who download illegally should be prosecuted'
'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
'Voting should be compulsory'
'The voting age should be lowered to 16'
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jul 22 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

I voted For (it's perhaps the question i have debated most on since these have started). Not an easy question to discuss but i also don't think it is fair for anyone but the person going through the pain and suffering to decide whether they continue doing that. It could be a slippery slope which is probably why many are against it, but if someone wants to end their life, prolonging their suffering should not out-weigh their decision to do so.

It should obviously only be legal in extreme circumstances and the full conditions of the individual should be considered before the physician makes the final act. Physician assisted suicide could also prevent self-inflicted suicides and give the person a dignified send off if that is what their final wish should be. Gah.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jul 22 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I have to go with for, but it's a tough one.

The decider for me was actually my dog's death earlier this year. We had him put to sleep because he was suffering so much and we didn't want to prolong the pain. We treat our pets better than we treat humans. If someone has had enough and the quality of life is going to be so poor, why not let them decide?

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jul 23 2015, 02:58 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I also voted for. I think if it really is a case of someone truly being in a state of utter suffering and as a result of that maybe feels like they no longer have anything to live for, then it should probably be allowed. The thing I would be worried about though is that there would be the potential that people would start abusing the system? Or trying to. So I think it really should only be permitted under very extreme circumstances. I agree with everything that Haus said.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Jul 23 2015, 03:02 PM
Post #5
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I voted for however I am worried if it does become legal people who murder in similar situations might use 'assisted suiduce' as an excuse to cover up that instead they murdered them i.e. Poisoned them without their consent. I am not sure whether that can happen but if it does thats an issue I have with it.

Hope I am not the only one having that concern laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jul 23 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Yes I voted for too.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jul 23 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Jul 23 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #8
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

QUOTE(harryflynn0908 @ Jul 23 2015, 06:02 PM) *
I voted for however I am worried if it does become legal people who murder in similar situations might use 'assisted suiduce' as an excuse to cover up that instead they murdered them i.e. Poisoned them without their consent. I am not sure whether that can happen but if it does thats an issue I have with it.

My exact thought. I think legally assisted suicide would only work if the person was diagnosed with terminal illness.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jul 23 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #9
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(harryflynn0908 @ Jul 23 2015, 04:02 PM) *

This is the main reason why any legality of assisted suicide should be kept under full regulation, signed off by at least two doctors as well as the patient's next of kin, and be sure it complies with the patient's wishes and they are terminally ill (i.e. not just in a depressive state from their illness they may recover from). Life is the only thing we have, and wrongful assisted suicides kill one life and have the potential to destroy many others in the legality of it all. It's something I'd only want to be legal in a very restricted and regulated sense.

The thing with keeping it completely illegal is that if people are desperate enough they'll head to places like Switzerland if they're able to or if they're not just continue suffering. Neither of which is an ideal situation to fall into.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Jul 23 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #10
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

For.

My granddad lived such a happy life and he spent the last 6 months of his life miserable, in an unreal amount of pain and as awful as it sounds I would have preferred he passed away not in pain. His ongoing suffering made things worse for the family also as it's horrible having to hold everything together while seeing everybody struggle on a daily basis.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jul 23 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #11
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(harryflynn0908 @ Jul 23 2015, 04:02 PM) *

That's a legitimate concern but i think a legislation wouldn't make it so anyone could assist the suicide of anyone else! It's be a physician assisted suicide, so basically it can only be done in a hospital with the consent of the person in question, their family and at least 2 leading practitioners/doctors or whoever is performing the action. I would be very VERY against assisted suicide in all cases for the reason you stated, but in the circumstances outlined just there, i'd be for it. It would have to be a professional decision and action and not something that could be done in the person's bedroom or whatever!

+Quote Post
Umi
post Jul 23 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #12
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Jul 23 2015, 04:15 PM) *
I think also a select few people might get it in their heads to exaggerate their situation, either vocally by telling people they're suffering more than they actually are, or if it's some sort of physical situation (that might not even be that bad), i.e. illness, injury, then there's the possibility that they might actually deliberately worsen their situation by say, cutting themselves extensively or something, and hope that then they can go through with it.

You realise that assisted suicide would only ever be used when someone was incapable of doing the job themselves, right? The cases you're describing are cases where the person is entirely capable of just killing themselves and thus going to such lengths to make it legal for someone else to kill them would be entirely pointless.

If you're capable of making yourself look worse then you'll just do the job yourself.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jul 23 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Umi @ Jul 23 2015, 05:53 PM) *
You realise that assisted suicide would only ever be used when someone was incapable of doing the job themselves, right? The cases you're describing are cases where the person is entirely capable of just killing themselves and thus going to such lengths to make it legal for someone else to kill them would be entirely pointless.

If you're capable of making yourself look worse then you'll just do the job yourself.

I totally realise that now. I am an April Fool, what can I say tongue.gif tbh I already feel like I sometimes lose face on this forum and other places, and now I just feel like a complete joke sad.gif I honestly don't know what I was thinking! Sorry, I know this is really not a big deal but it doesn't help that I'm just not having the best of days to be completely honest. I had a really bad argument with my mum yesterday where she basically knocked everything about me, most of which were things that I consider positive. Normally I have way more thick skin, I honestly cannot remember the last time I felt truly offended by something (not you, my mum). Sorry, this sounds more like plug.dj talk right now lol, I might go on it later.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Jul 23 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #14
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

Mattias <3

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jul 23 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

<3

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Jul 23 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #16
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

QUOTE(♡ Heezus Froot ♡ @ Jul 23 2015, 04:50 PM) *
My exact thought. I think legally assisted suicide would only work if the person was diagnosed with terminal illness.

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jul 23 2015, 04:55 PM) *
This is the main reason why any legality of assisted suicide should be kept under full regulation, signed off by at least two doctors as well as the patient's next of kin, and be sure it complies with the patient's wishes and they are terminally ill (i.e. not just in a depressive state from their illness they may recover from). Life is the only thing we have, and wrongful assisted suicides kill one life and have the potential to destroy many others in the legality of it all. It's something I'd only want to be legal in a very restricted and regulated sense.

The thing with keeping it completely illegal is that if people are desperate enough they'll head to places like Switzerland if they're able to or if they're not just continue suffering. Neither of which is an ideal situation to fall into.

QUOTE(HausofKübrick @ Jul 23 2015, 05:50 PM) *
That's a legitimate concern but i think a legislation wouldn't make it so anyone could assist the suicide of anyone else! It's be a physician assisted suicide, so basically it can only be done in a hospital with the consent of the person in question, their family and at least 2 leading practitioners/doctors or whoever is performing the action. I would be very VERY against assisted suicide in all cases for the reason you stated, but in the circumstances outlined just there, i'd be for it. It would have to be a professional decision and action and not something that could be done in the person's bedroom or whatever!

Yeah I think that is the only way it will work otherwise I will be completely AGAINST as Homicide and 'Assisted Suicide' are two different things.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 24 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #17
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

If the person in question is suffering and can't bear it any longer then yes they should be allowed to end it.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jul 24 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #18
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

In short, yes. For the reasons largely contained within Iz and Bal's posts.

+Quote Post
*Callum
post Jul 24 2015, 08:11 PM
Post #19
C A L
Member No.: 20,799

i went with 'for' - WITHIN REASON.

eg i can't imagine that if i should ever unfortunately get say... motor neurone disease *knocks wood* that i'd rather continue living despite being in a constant state of claustrophobia and paralysis and i don't know why i'd want to put anybody through it, so under extreme cases like these, it should be allowed.

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Jul 27 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

It's a tricky one. I genuinley think suicide is for the weak but assisted suicide. I just see too many pros and cons.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 06:50 PM