BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter, "animal rights come before religion"
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jul 26 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’

Denmark’s government has brought in a ban on the religious slaughter of animals for the production of halal and kosher meat, after years of campaigning from welfare activists.

The change to the law, announced last week and effective as of yesterday, has been called “anti-Semitism” by Jewish leaders and “a clear interference in religious freedom” by the non-profit group Danish Halal.

Animals must be stunned before they are killed but this can be overruled if the animal is killed on "religious grounds" but Denmark have now changed this law.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/eu...on-9135580.html

What do you think about this law? Should religious belief come before the rights of animals or vice-versa? Would you welcome a similar law in the UK and around the world?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Umi
post Jul 26 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #2
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

Kind of uncomfortable with Denmark being the country to do this but on a basic level I don't have a huge problem with it. If your religion forbids animals not dying painful deaths then you should probably take a look at that.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jul 26 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #3
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

The only issue I have with the Kosher/Halal practise is that the animals aren't stunned to prevent suffering, so from that aspect its a welcome change. Think this is going to prove to be a contentious issue over the coming few years. There seems to be a rising number of places where there are protests against Kosher/Halal meats. Although it does seem to be more Halal than Kosher which leads me to think it's more of a symptom of rising Islamophobia than anything else.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jul 26 2015, 07:40 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

It's not surprising that Denmark has been able to pass this legislation, given that only 10,000 Danes are Jewish, and less than 4% of the population are Muslim, so they wouldn't be in any position to challenge this legislation. I can't comment on whether this is a violation of their religious freedom, given that I'm neither Jewish or a Muslim, so I'm not sure whether they can shift their theological foundations to accomodate this law change, but I can't imagine the issue going away quietly.

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Jul 26 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #5
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Member No.: 9,403

i don't quite know how i feel about this tbh, but i don't really think i'm able to comment via religion. i would say i think it's heartless to kill animals without stunning them but das me

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jul 26 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

It might be wrong of me to do so, but i find it very difficult to separate religion from the brutality of killing an animal without stunning it. I know that butchering animals in any capacity is horrible and unpleasant regardless, but i still shudder at the fact that the animal is live and kicking when it is slashed. I don't think religion should be used as the basis for how to kill an animal, but instead the least painful/humane way should be the option in all circumstances (again is there a humane way to kill animals en masse? Probably not but reducing the pain and squirming for them can only be a good thing!).

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Jul 26 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #7
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

I think religion and politics should be seperate at all times tbh.
I'm very pleased to see this happening. They tried to do this in the Netherlands as well, but I don't think it passed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 06:05 PM