BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'The opt-out system for organ donation should be mandatory'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'The opt-out system for organ donation should be mandatory'
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Aug 3 2015, 05:38 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Currently the UK has an 'opt-in' system for organ donation. This question asks whether this is the correct system or whether an 'opt-out' system would be more beneficial. What the current situation means is that no one is registered onto the organ donor list until the opt themselves in to be included on it. The change would mean that everyone is under the list, unless the opt-out.

Alongside this is a survey for how organ-friendly we are on the site. Could this be the thing to encourage you to sign up to donate your organs? Let us know ~

If you are FOR ~ you believe that the current system should be changed to an opt-out one
If you are AGAINST ~ you believe the current system of opting-in should remain.

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'Assissted suicide should be legalised'
'People who download illegally should be prosecuted'
'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
'Voting should be compulsory'
'The voting age should be lowered to 16'
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 3 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Too many things are mandatory these days mellow.gif

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 3 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo

This is a no brainer and i feel quite strongly about it. I am FOR a change. An opt-out system makes so much more sense. It allows people that would positively donate but just don't know how to register be automatically considered and also those that simply do not get round to doing it. It also allows for those that would not wish to donate for religious reasons or otherwise to still remove themselves.

I registered to donate when i started uni several years ago and would strongly encourage others to do so too, because you never know who they will be needed by!

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Aug 3 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #4
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I think that it should be that everyone is registered unless they say they don't want to be. Of course people don't want to donate organs for religious reasons ect but there's bound to be people out there who would donate but just haven't signed up yet for whatever reason. I'm not an organ donor myself, but it is something I do want to sign up to, it is a bit of a no-brainier, if you can save someones life then surely you would? I'm not allowed to donate blood so I'm not too sure on what I'd be able to do organ wise, but I'm sure there's at least something I can give once I've died.

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post Aug 3 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Against. People shouldn't be forced to donate just because they didn't realise they had to actively do something themselves to "opt out" of it. The exact same as mentioned above can be said about people "not knowing" but are willing to so the key hear is better communication & education on the matter.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 3 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Aug 3 2015, 06:59 PM) *
Against. People shouldn't be forced to donate just because they didn't realise they had to actively do something themselves to "opt out" of it. The exact same as mentioned above can be said about people "not knowing" but are willing to so the key hear is better communication & education on the matter.

I agree with this in principle, but for me the price of people not actively choosing to opt-out is outweighed by the life saved by the organ being donated by said person.

Added to the fact that there is still such a demand for organs which are not being provided: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/nor...y-31388756.html

+Quote Post
Snowblake
post Aug 3 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

I'm for an opt-out system (obviously for the US, since I'm American) and have registered to donate my guts upon my regeneration death. There are huge wait lists for organ donations and helping to cut those down will save so many lives, plus those who don't wish to donate their organs for religious reasons can still have their beliefs respected.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Aug 3 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #8
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(HausofKübrick @ Aug 3 2015, 07:03 PM) *
I agree with this in principle, but for me the price of people not actively choosing to opt-out is outweighed by the life saved by the organ being donated by said person.

Added to the fact that there is still such a demand for organs which are not being provided: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/nor...y-31388756.html

Surely if somebody has not actively chosen to opt-out the 'consequence' of that shouldn't be that your body is then just passed along to be cut open and ascertain which organs may or may not be useful?

I'd be very much opposed to a system whereby I'd be pre-registered on a list of organ donors. I'd most likely end up putting the same amount of effort into taking my name off of a list as I would putting my name on a list. Surely if you are invested in the belief that your organs could potentially save a life, it would make much more sense to seek advise on how to go about doing such a thing, than make it more difficult for people who really don't care about donating either way, or people who are firmly against it? I feel far more comfortable with a system that very clearly identifies those who have made a conscious and thorough decision to become donors than one that would (in some or most cases) rely purely on assumption that the deceased would want to leave their body for donor purposes, without having considered it entirely.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 3 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #9
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Calum Hood @ Aug 3 2015, 08:09 PM) *
Surely if somebody has not actively chosen to opt-out the 'consequence' of that shouldn't be that your body is then just passed along to be cut open and ascertain which organs may or may not be useful?

I'd be very much opposed to a system whereby I'd be pre-registered on a list of organ donors. I'd most likely end up putting the same amount of effort into taking my name off of a list as I would putting my name on a list. Surely if you are invested in the belief that your organs could potentially save a life, it would make much more sense to seek advise on how to go about doing such a thing, than make it more difficult for people who really don't care about donating either way, or people who are firmly against it? I feel far more comfortable with a system that very clearly identifies those who have made a conscious and thorough decision to become donors than one that would (in some or most cases) rely purely on assumption that the deceased would want to leave their body for donor purposes, without having considered it entirely.

It is not the case that everyone that dies on the register is cut up for their organs though. Getting statistics out "Even though about a third of the population have joined the register, less than 5,000 people a year die in circumstances that allow them to donate their organs." This means that the majority of people on the donor list even upon death do not actually have their organs extracted. There is also the family consent which is needed so it won't just be a case of "oh let's just tear apart this dead body which no one cares about and take the organs in case we need them" - it is done only if it is actually possible (which is rare) and then can be prevented if your family don't want it to happen.

A further point, which is another reason i am so firmly for this change is that there is a much greater need for African, South Asian and other ethnic groups to donate. Talking from experience, the stigma around doing this in these cultures isn't really evident and people just do not choose to do it because they are not well informed enough to actually take the steps needed to register. Being on an opt-out system gets rid of that, and those that do not want their organs donated can be well informed enough to remove themselves while drastically increasing the amount of potential donors.

I am under the impression that the majority of people do not even think twice about organ donation because of the current system in place. It is only those that take an active role in wanting to donate that are registered which does not fully represent the amount of people who actually would donate.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Aug 3 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #10
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

100% for.

I don't think I'm on the donor list (it's not something I've done myself yet..) but I would be perfectly willing to donate my organs. Why not, once I'm dead it's not like I'm going to know?!

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Aug 3 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

I'm against it while being alive. For if I'm dead. They can do what they want with my organs. It should really be mandatory for post-life really.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Aug 3 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

The only reason I am against giving my organs (and I have told my family as such), as a gay man I am unable to give blood (unless I don't have sex for a year or something) so why would they want my organs when I am dead if they don't want my blood whilst I am alive.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Aug 3 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #13
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I'm against the idea of being automatically enrolled on the organ donor register, although I do intend to sign up to it. I do however give blood on a regular basis, and I've been signed up to the bone marrow register since I was 18 (although I haven't been called on to donate any to date).

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Aug 3 2015, 10:01 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I've filled in the register years ago, I believe there were 3 options at the time, yes I donate, no I don't donate and my family will choose after I passed away. I chose the last one. I'm not against organ donation but I rather don't want to make that choice myself. I don't know how they do it over here in the Netherlands nowadays.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Aug 3 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #15
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I think it's a good idea, although I personally have not signed up and don't intend to. I don't really have any concrete reason why, as I've mentioned elsewhere I don't believe in any form of, well, ANYTHING, after you die. Therefore, I think it's more to do with me being an inherently selfish person and wanting to be 'me' when I go into the ground, or whatever other manner I choose to be disposed of in. Besides by the time I die (persumably not for many years) they'll almost undoubtedly be able to synthetically create most organs anyway so it's all rather moot.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 4 2015, 02:37 PM
Post #16
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Aug 4 2015, 12:12 AM) *
I think it's a good idea, although I personally have not signed up and don't intend to. I don't really have any concrete reason why, as I've mentioned elsewhere I don't believe in any form of, well, ANYTHING, after you die. Therefore, I think it's more to do with me being an inherently selfish person and wanting to be 'me' when I go into the ground, or whatever other manner I choose to be disposed of in. Besides by the time I die (persumably not for many years) they'll almost undoubtedly be able to synthetically create most organs anyway so it's all rather moot.

I've never thought about this as a possibly before! ohmy.gif and I'm sure there's a whole other debate that will arise should it become a norm..

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Aug 4 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #17
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Oh, of course. I've already had such discussions with my (very religious) sisters, who said they would rather die than have a fake organ in them. They did however say they would be quite happy to have a pacemaker fitted if they needed it. Score 1 stupidity and ignorance, religion 0.

+Quote Post
Envoirment
post Aug 4 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 10,030
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Martyn @ Aug 3 2015, 09:15 PM) *
The only reason I am against giving my organs (and I have told my family as such), as a gay man I am unable to give blood (unless I don't have sex for a year or something) so why would they want my organs when I am dead if they don't want my blood whilst I am alive.

I agree to some extent that it's unfair, but given the high proportion of gay men with HIV I think the rules surrounding it are justified. Especially given that HIV infected blood may not test HIV positive. There's great news in regards to the progress of treating HIV though and I hope PreP will be available on the NHS soon for all gay men. But that's another story.

I'm for an "Opt-out" system as long as it's clear and easy for you to opt-out if you wished to. I haven't yet registered, but would be willing to donate my organs. I mean when I'm dead I couldn't care less really. Especially given the benefit an individual could recieve if they had my organs (if my organs are up to standard that is! laugh.gif ).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 12:57 PM