BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Languages, How many do you speak?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
*Ben*
post Aug 12 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #1
Chart Chat Slave
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 275

I just found this video today and I found it fascinating. This guy speaks 19 languages. Of course some on a high degree some not so well, but he learnt all of them or still learning some of them. Really worth watching it.

As I'm Hungarian, I always found important to learn languages so I can udnerstand foreign people and I can communicate in a foreign country. Of course my parents helped me or even forced me a lot when I was a kid, and started very early to learn German at home with a private teacher. In the school then I learnt English too, but when I was 12-14-16 years old I watched a lot of MTV and that helped a lot too to improve my English.
Apart from my mother language (Hungarian), I speak German and English fluently (of course not without errors).
Also I learnt in the highschool Latin 4 years long but don't ask anything, can't remember anything anymore. And finally in the university I also started Spanish (2 years long), sadly I forgot a lot but after I watched this video I feel motivated to learn again Spanish and later also Italian smile.gif

How about you guys?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 12 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

I've never really been interested in learning a language tbh. Call me lazy but I'd probably be ok with using a translator tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Aug 12 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #3
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I speak a very small amount of French and German from my school days. I'd like to learn another language properly (I did attempt to learn Norwegian back in my Annie fan days in 2008, with not much success apart from learning how to say 'Many thanks') but your brain doesn't absorb it as much as when you're a kid, unless you're Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man or something.

+Quote Post
*Ben*
post Aug 12 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #4
Chart Chat Slave

QUOTE(SHADE RATE ADAM @ Aug 12 2015, 04:34 PM) *
I've never really been interested in learning a language tbh. Call me lazy but I'd probably be ok with using a translator tongue.gif

I'm guessing it's because English is everywhere, for example my language is very difficult and only spoken in my country, so I have the disadvantage to learn other languages if I want to communicate people outside my country laugh.gif

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Aug 12 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #5
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Fluent in English and French, and I can speak a bit of German and a few words in Italian.

+Quote Post
M.
post Aug 12 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ThePensmith @ Aug 12 2015, 04:14 PM) *
I speak a very small amount of French and German from my school days. I'd like to learn another language properly (I did attempt to learn Norwegian back in my Annie fan days in 2008, with not much success apart from learning how to say 'Many thanks') but your brain doesn't absorb it as much as when you're a kid, unless you're Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man or something.

Debatable. I have heard people say that kids generally pick up languages extremely well. Certainly was the case for me with English, as well as many many other kids I knew. Especially when you get to actually properly practice it in real life, which I eventually did when I moved to Ireland at 11 years old. I know an Estonian girl who is now 17, who also used to live here in Ireland, and we used to hang out as kids, who had pretty much fluent English for her age at the age of 6.

I am fluent in Estonian (native language) and English. I know a bit of French too, but unfortunately I don't remember nearly as much as I would like to.

I used to learn Russian for a year back when I was still living in Estonia, but I don't remember the content of those classes much either.

This post has been edited by Mattias: Aug 12 2015, 03:26 PM

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Aug 12 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #7
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Just English here, but I speak it so wonderfully I wouldn't like to put that under threat trying to learn something else.

No, in all honesty, I am rubbish at learning languages. I've tried a few times and none of it sticks.

+Quote Post
*Ben*
post Aug 12 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #8
Chart Chat Slave

QUOTE(J▼hnkm @ Aug 12 2015, 06:23 PM) *
Just English here, but I speak it so wonderfully I wouldn't like to put that under threat trying to learn something else.

No, in all honesty, I am rubbish at learning languages. I've tried a few times and none of it sticks.

There are some people who are simply not able to learn languages or just very hard.

Btw I saw a summary of the European countries how many people speak foreign languages. My country (Hungary) is one of the last ones in the list. Only around 30% speak any foreign language.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Aug 12 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #9
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

Ooh another languages thread~

Russian - native language
English - fluent
(Ukrainian - Perks of being Russian~ I can understand what's being said for the most part but I'd never be able to speak it lol)
Spanish - I can understand pretty much all Latin American accents but Spain only if they talk slowly; I can say some stuff; I need practice talking
Portuguese - Same as with Spanish - I can understand Brazilian Portuguese so much better than its European counterpart
Danish - I understand basic everyday phrases and speech and can say some stuff
Swedish - same as with Danish but comprehension is easier
Norwegian - I can understand some of the phrases and basic stuff, but less successfully than with Danish and Swedish
French - I know some phrases and expressions and words
German - Same as French
Arabic - I know the alphabet and a few words
---
Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Finnish, Dutch, Turkish, Croatian, Czech, Greek, Italian, Hebrew - I started those at different points in the last 5 years but they could never interest me enough to keep going (yet).

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 12 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Just English sad.gif

I could probably just about hold a conversation in broken Italian/French laugh.gif Reading/listening to it is easier to do.

+Quote Post
*Ben*
post Aug 12 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #11
Chart Chat Slave

QUOTE(Breauxnderella @ Aug 12 2015, 07:28 PM) *
Ooh another languages thread~

Yeah I know, but I found that video interesting and that's why I started it (again) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Harve
post Aug 12 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #12
when I notice the world is falling apart I will run a bath
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

English: native
French: fluent enough not to run into any real difficulty but obvs there's always new things to learn
Anything else (1.5 years of German and GCSE Spanish counts for f*** all): no

quality not quantity eh Pav.

(ok let's ignore how your second language of English is FAR better than mine. It's easy to forget you're not a native speaker)

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Aug 12 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #13
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Fluent in Dutch and I try my hardest in English, but that's it laugh.gif
Languages aren't my thing at all, I'm more of a science kind of person

(I can somewhat communicate in French tho that is a very small amount)

This post has been edited by *DitchBitch: Aug 12 2015, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Aug 12 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #14
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

So hard to stick with just one language for long because you can have different language needs for each week~

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Aug 12 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

Listen, man, I only speak two languages: English and bad English.

But seriously, I speak English (obviously, since it's my native tongue) and a little bit of French. Not well enough to hold an actual decent conversation, but enough to possibly survive small talk.

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Aug 12 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #16
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

English - I guess I'm adequate.
French - fairly good - Hopefully A-Levels next year will make it more fluent.
Latin - I can read it, but not speak it sad.gif
Punjabi - Sone sone patole lakhaan music.gif

+Quote Post
LUKΞ
post Aug 12 2015, 06:00 PM
Post #17
Quand on arrive en ville
Member No.: 3,609
   No Gallery Pics

Mluvím česky.
Hovorím po slovensky.
I speak English.

Mówię po polsku. - I can read books in Polish and watch movies without subtitles, but I can't speak it sad.gif

und ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

I know the basics of some other European languages but can't speak them (Norwegian, French, Spanish, Serbian, Greek)

QUOTE(Breauxnderella @ Aug 12 2015, 07:28 PM) *
Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Finnish, Dutch, Turkish, Croatian, Czech, Greek, Italian, Hebrew - I started those at different points in the last 5 years but they could never interest me enough to keep going (yet).

*.*

+Quote Post
M.
post Aug 12 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Ninjabait @ Aug 12 2015, 06:55 PM) *
Listen, man, I only speak two languages: English and bad English.

But seriously, I speak English (obviously, since it's my native tongue) and a little bit of French. Not well enough to hold an actual decent conversation, but enough to possibly survive small talk.

I can't survive small talk in English tbh

jk

+Quote Post
Cal
post Aug 12 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 5,964
   No Gallery Pics

English - Fluent.
French - Relatively advanced. Living there helped a lot and I can understand French with no difficulties at all but actually formulating sentences is always tricky because of the horrid grammar. We regularly get French customers and I always help them out if they have no idea what's going on, so I guess that's a good sign?
Swedish - I can understand normal conversations and can formulate standard sentences, so I can get by on what I have. It came in really useful when I was in Copenhagen because I could understand some of what was going on.
Irish - wots dat

+Quote Post
M.
post Aug 12 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 12 2015, 09:05 PM) *
Irish - wots dat

lol

I was told I didn't need to learn Irish in secondary school (I did a bit in primary school but it was extremely basic) cos there's some age limit of who has to learn the language in terms of when foreigners move to Ireland, so if you were older than 10 or something when you moved here (I was 11), you technically are not expected to learn it. So I didn't. At the time I was really chuffed about having one less subject to worry about, but now I wish I had done it, would come in handy. The spelling in Irish is ridiculous though.

ta me go maith.

lol is that right?

a hayn a dow a tri a caher lmaoooo

Caoimhe = Kweeva
Aoife = Eefa
Cal = Cal
Roisin = Row-sheen
Caoilfhionn = Kweelin / Keelin (!!!)

What I like about Estonian is that probably about 90% of the time, words are pronounced exactly the way they are written.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 04:05 PM