BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who Do You Think You Are?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
SGrey
post Aug 13 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #1
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Am posting this in a lounge as more of a discussion as opposed to being based entirely on the TV show.

So for those who don't know, the show is about celebrities tracing their family ancestry in an hour long episode, usually tracing one side of their family or two if one side is untraceable.

Here is Kelly Clarkson's episode for those who're unsure what I'm on about.

So that poses the question: who else on here has traced their family ancestry, were you lucky enough to find stuff out or find any interesting stories? Did you find what you thought were your roots weren't your actual roots? Do you have an interest in genealogy and tracing family ancestries? biggrin.gif

Discuss! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sean.: Aug 13 2015, 08:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Aug 13 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

i can trace kelly clarkson's roots, they're 2 inches long and wud be best fixed in a salon

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Aug 13 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #3
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
Vülker f Beyoncé
post Aug 13 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #4
üüü barracüda
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,222
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Aug 13 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Aug 13 2015, 10:56 PM) *

Masterpiece heart.gif

I did, it was not really interesting, they always lived in the same place, always worked on a farm or had a farm till my great grandfather who worked on the same company where my father worked for 40 years till he had to quit because of Alzheimer.
They all had loads of kids though, I know there was a family with 11 kids all from the same parents.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Aug 13 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I've been a little interested in my heritage, I know my grandmother's family, on my mum's side, are of Belgian origin and her family line stretches out across the continent. Really guttingly she passed from MND when I was only in P3 so I was miles too young to actually be aware enough to ask about where we came from.

The rest of my family is of English and Irish heritage. My surname is Irish and my mother maiden name is Anglo-Saxon in origin dating back to like the 1100's with its first recorded use in Yorkshire.

Would love to find out more about my family history at some point. No hidden millionaires tho as my roots are very firmly working class.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Aug 13 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #7
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

My Aunt did some family history digging recently and found out that I'm a very distant relative of Earl Grey on my Mother's side.

Dad's side I'm less sure on other than a general sense that my Paternal Grandfather was from County Limerick (fecking stab city).

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 13 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #8
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

My Aunt has traced back a lot of our family tree, well on my mothers side given she's her sister but I don't really know what she's found or how far back she's gone, I think we maybe have some Irish in our blood though, I should really ask about it one of the times I see her laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ℓindsey ♫: Aug 13 2015, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Aug 14 2015, 12:07 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Our family uses this website called geni.com that documents the family tree, who is related to who in what way etc., but I never really explored it too deeply. It's potentially somewhat interesting though, I often get e-mails with family updates from it and find out names of distant relatives I don't even know.

Perhaps one day I will properly explore it and find out more about my roots from that website. I don't know all that much about it if I'm honest.

This post has been edited by Mattias: Aug 14 2015, 12:09 AM

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Aug 14 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

Yeah, I've always been interested in my family's roots, and something I really want to do at some point is go back to the Philippines and do some research. I've already found out as much as I can from my parents (well, my mom anyway), and only my maternal grandmother is still alive so I hope to talk to her too. Thing is though, I'm not sure records in the Philippines were well-kept before the 20th century if you weren't among the elite, e.g. had some Spanish blood in you. So basically, I'm not sure I can even find much info on most of my family tree, aside from my grandmother I mentioned who's still alive. Because apparently I have a great-great-grandfather on her side who was really rich and owned a lot of land, and that was in the 19th century (like his title was "Don" and everything), so we're pretty sure he's of Spanish descent. (And he's the only one I've been able to find record of that far back online, on the Mormon genealogy archives no less.) And then there's the features of everyone in that side of my family, compared to like my dad's side or something, who are pretty much straight-up Austronesian. But I have to read up on like, class structure during colonial-era Philippines to see if my suspicions are correct. Oops this was long but yeah this interests me greatly tbh.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Aug 14 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #11
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

My family name is one that is pretty specific to Cornwall despite not being an obvious Cornish name, there's probably some Devon roots there. My dad's side of the family were mostly farmers so that's not that interesting.

What's more interesting is my German side, through my mum's mum, they were a somewhat aristocratic German family from East Germany, they had some estates but lost them after the Russians seized everything post-1945. I know I have a great-great uncle who died on the Eastern Front but most of them didn't go to war I think. They're potentially related to Otto Von Bismarck through some distant cousins or something, we aren't sure though. It'd be really interesting to find out more, I'm always very eager to discover a little bit more about my heritage.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Aug 15 2015, 08:36 AM
Post #12
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Some really interesting stories above, makes my own history look even more boring! laugh.gif

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Aug 14 2015, 12:23 PM) *
What's more interesting is my German side, through my mum's mum, they were a somewhat aristocratic German family from East Germany, they had some estates but lost them after the Russians seized everything post-1945. I know I have a great-great uncle who died on the Eastern Front but most of them didn't go to war I think. They're potentially related to Otto Von Bismarck through some distant cousins or something, we aren't sure though. It'd be really interesting to find out more, I'm always very eager to discover a little bit more about my heritage.

That would be fascinating if you were, I am a total sucker for 19th century German/Prussian History at the time Bismarck was Chancellor!

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Aug 15 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

My late paternal grandfather was a scientist and a professor in the field of agriculture and has his own Wikipedia page. It's in Estonian though, and is short.

It says his many written works have been translated to Russian, German and English. 25 of his written works were text-books, manuals and monographs.

Another page I just found says that he wrote over 600 articles on science.

He was, and still is, considered an icon in our family.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 08:45 PM