BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MUSICALS, aaaand...jazz hands!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Aug 16 2015, 12:47 AM
Post #1
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Since we're a mostly homosexual male userbase on this site so naturally we need to have at least one thread about the high camp of Musical Theatre.

For some reason I'm going through a bit of a musical phase atm, having recently rewatched two of my favourite movie musicals, Les Miserables and Hairspray (both for completely different reasons) and having the Avenue Q soundtrack on repeat for weeks.

So, do musicals make you want to break out into a spontaneous but somehow perfectly choreographed jazz number or would you rather bash your head in while listening to TaraElla's Greatest Hits album. If the former, what are your favourite ones? Do you prefer camp and cheesy or deep and emotional?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Aug 16 2015, 12:53 AM
Post #2
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder if High School Musical fits the bill tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Aug 16 2015, 01:08 AM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I actually do love a good musical! Grease and Bugsy Malone are my absolute favourite, but the two you mentioned Les Mis and Hairspray are both fabulous in very different ways also. Grease is always my pick me up movie as it's easy to get immersed in all the fun of the songs, though Hairspray fills that quota too. Bugsy Malone will always be special as I performed in a school adaptation of it when younger and have always adored the soundtrack. So many I need to see though!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Aug 16 2015, 01:20 AM
Post #4
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

Musicals are great. I'm always really impressed with songs from musicals, they are often SO well-written despite having to base it on a storyline, and just the combination of dialogue and singing really draws me in more than a standard movie. If that makes sense.

Just going off of memory I'd pick either Chicago or The Producers as my fave...or A Very Potter Musical if that counts biggrin.gif My friends used to rave about Avenue Q and it's one I still need to see sometime!

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Aug 16 2015, 01:25 AM
Post #5
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

Absolutely love a good musical. It's a very I love it, or I don't genre. 'Les Miserables' is probably my favourite movie musical, with 'Oliver!' closely behind.

I really must go to see some actual musicals in theater too! 'Les Miserables' is top of my list along with 'We Will Rock You' (supposed to be a BLAST!), 'Wicked' & 'Jersey Boys'. Oh and I want to see 'Avenue Q' too!

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Aug 16 2015, 02:21 AM
Post #6
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Anyway, YAS at Lex liking Hairspray as that is my favorite musical EVER. Mamma Mia and Legally Blonde: The Musical come in a close second and third, respectively.

Back in high school, I played a musical medley with a symphony orchestra and we did songs from various musicals. I'd say the one with the best songs has got to be South Pacific. Or Jesus Christ Superstar.

I find it kinda amusing when movies are adapted into their own musicals, and it just gets absorbed into another world that I can't seem to describe, but it's intriguing in a way.

+Quote Post
kye
post Aug 16 2015, 12:06 PM
Post #7
Aesthetic Party
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,169

I like musicals but I feel like I have to be in the mood to watch one.
'Funny Girl' was on BBC2 yesterday and I watched that and loved it but I don't think I could be bothered today.. laugh.gif

I've liked most of the musicals of the last 10-15 years, HSM included!
The ones I didn't enjoy so much were 'Into The Woods' and 'Walking On Sunshine'.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Aug 16 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #8
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

SAY NO TO MUSICALS. Unless we are talking about "Sound of Music". SWOON.

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Aug 16 2015, 12:10 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

I used to be a Musical Theatres geek growing up. From Rodgers & Hammerstein to West End classics to movie remakes, I'd seen em all and starred in a few.

Hairspray is slowly becoming my favourite but it's a shame the movie didn't include the best performance... "The Big Dollhouse".

Cats is also another fave because it literally has no plot but great tunes.

Sweet Charity... Great tunes! If they could see me now, that little gang of mine.

OH, I'll be here all day!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 08:22 AM