BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UV's Favourite Top 100 Movies Of 2014, Finally Finished! | Who Won?!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 19th August 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Hey everyone and welcome to my favourite 100 movies from 2014 countdown!
I have seen 99 movies and hoping to make it to 100 tomorrow so the countdown should start tomorrow!
Please feel free to comment on what movies you want to see high/low, predict what I loved/hated and comment on the films you have seen. I will do commentaries on each movie! heart.gif Hope you enjoy!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 19th August 2015, 11:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Why do we need a countdown? We all know you fangasm over Frozen for incessant periods of time biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 19th August 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

That's a 2013 film though... ;D

Or are you including that? ohmy.gif

Would love to see 'Winter Soldier' and 'Guardians Of the Galaxy' appear high, but I really don't know how you feel on those! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 20th August 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

This would be my top 15 from last year I think so it'll be exciting to see how it matches up to yours and how you rank them amongst the others on your list, I'm sure you've seen them all so I'm excited see where they land and your commentary on all the movies too biggrin.gif

01. X-Men: Day of Future Past
02. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
03. Guardians of the Galaxy
04. Divergent
05. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
06. Maleficent
07. 22 Jump Street
08. The Fault In Our Stars
09. The Inbetweeners 2
10. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
11. Noah
12. Exodus: Gods & Kings
13. Fury
14. The Lego Movie
15. Dumb and Dumber To

Still actually not watched Captain America 2 even though I own it but I'm sure that'll be up here too.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 20th August 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

I look forward to your countdown, Ultraviolence1989.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 20th August 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Should hopefully be starting tonight heart.gif Seen a total of 104 films for 2014 now!
Thanks for all the comments already heart.gif

QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Aug 20 2015, 12:19 AM) *
Why do we need a countdown? We all know you fangasm over Frozen for incessant periods of time biggrin.gif

Frozen was 2013 smile.gif (well frozen sing-a-long was 2014 but I'd decided to make that ineligible tongue.gif )

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Aug 20 2015, 12:26 AM) *
That's a 2013 film though... ;D

Or are you including that? ohmy.gif

Would love to see 'Winter Soldier' and 'Guardians Of the Galaxy' appear high, but I really don't know how you feel on those! ohmy.gif

Frozen's not being included smile.gif
They should both do well here smile.gif

QUOTE(Josh. @ Aug 20 2015, 04:18 PM) *
This would be my top 15 from last year I think so it'll be exciting to see how it matches up to yours and how you rank them amongst the others on your list, I'm sure you've seen them all so I'm excited see where they land and your commentary on all the movies too biggrin.gif

01. X-Men: Day of Future Past
02. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
03. Guardians of the Galaxy
04. Divergent
05. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
06. Maleficent
07. 22 Jump Street
08. The Fault In Our Stars
09. The Inbetweeners 2
10. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
11. Noah
12. Exodus: Gods & Kings
13. Fury
14. The Lego Movie
15. Dumb and Dumber To

Still actually not watched Captain America 2 even though I own it but I'm sure that'll be up here too.

These will all appear apart from Exodus, Fury (which I really need to watch as I have it on record) and Dumb And Dumber To smile.gif

QUOTE(Mack @ Aug 20 2015, 08:41 PM) *
I look forward to your countdown, Ultraviolence1989.

Thanks heart.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 21st August 2015, 06:54 AM
Post #7
Group icon
c:

I hope that's because you haven't seen Exodus instead of hating it, I loved the adaptation despite thinking I'wouldn't like it much either!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd August 2015, 12:20 AM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

THE SO BAD THEY MISS THE TOP 100

A HAUNTED HOUSE 2
The worst movie of 2014 goes to A Haunted House 2. I was hoping I'd get a good comedy laugh out of this as I love horror comedy's and I adore the Scary Movie franchise (Scary Movie 5 is amazing *.*) but oh gosh this was horrifying. Whoever the lead actor is gave by far the worst performance of 2014 and he can also have awards for most unfunny performance, worst scream, worst squeal, worst acting and everything worst. All the other actors are terrible and the scenes are not funny one bit. The sex with the doll is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen and I think I chuckled a tiny bit once in 90 minutes in a movie that was trying to be funny every 5 seconds. Absolute horrid disaster.

DOLPHIN TALE 2
Such a massive disappointment. I adored the 1st movie and I love movies with/about dolphins so I was expecting great things from this but something went really really wrong. An absolutely terrible story, losing all cuteness from the 1st movie and all the actors had suddenly turned terrible with awful performances from all of the cast. Also the lead actor was incredibly annoying and self-centered as hell and omg that bird is one of the most annoying things easily of cinema 2014.

I, FRAKENSTEIN
This was the worst movie of 2014 for over a year until my ears witnessed A Haunted House 2 which bumped this up a place. There haven't been many worse performances in all the films I've seen than Aaron Eckhart's lifeless boring performance as Frankenstein and the villain is laughably bad. The visual effects are beyond awful and hurt your eyes and the script is one of the worst of the year by miles. Generic rubbish at it's worst!

PLANES 2: FIRE AND RESCUE
Like Dolphin Tale 2, this was a major disappointment. I adored the 1st Planes which was a fun and great animation which I also thought was better than both Cars movies. However this one was just diabolically bad. I have never heard so many objects talk over each other so you couldn't understand anything any of the characters said and there was possibly 2 planes in the entire movie. It should've been called Transport: Fire and Rescue as there was literally every transport apart from planes! The main character turned from really nice in the 1st movie to really egotistical in this one and the story was beyond terrible.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 22nd August 2015, 12:48 AM
Post #9
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

100. THE ANOMALY
Absolutely horrifying movie with another terrible role from Ian Somerholder or whatever he's name and an absolutely disastrous plot with one of the worst film endings. The effects once again were awful and the script is such a massive mess.

99. ANNIE
Cameron Diaz is literally the only good thing about that. Quevenzezhale is awful as Annie and Jamie Foxx is even worse. Everybody sings out of tune and overreacts so horridly with their acting and there was absolutely no need for this unless it was going to be great. I love the original but this is a disaster.

98. RAGE
I don't think I have seen a film as laughably bad as this in ages. Nicholas Cage is utterly horrific once again and omg the plot twist of the murder investigation was so so funny for all the wrong reasons. So literally all these gangsters get killed and they all fight each other over what happened to the daughter but it turns out they were all useless characters that mattered nothing to the main plot. And the murder reason because it was fun to hold a gun which is why you shoot your girlfriend rotf.gif And the flashback is even more funny as he just turns around and shoots her for a random reason. And then more people randomly die. Utter disaster of a movie even though it's funny for all the wrong reasons.

97. THE LAST DAYS ON MARS
This was ok but the ending took this from a 4/10 movie to a 0/10 movie. What even the heck just happened at the end and it made the whole movie so pointless. That is literally all I can be bothered to write about this movie.

96. GODZILLA
The 1st massive grossing movie to tumble out and also the 1st movie not a 0/10 to exit. Godzilla ends when Bryan Cranston's character dies so early on, they had the potential to be so good and carry the movie so have no clue why they were killed so early! You barely even see Godzilla and it is like watching a boring pointless blank screen for a stupid amount of time with nothing happening. And it just goes on and on till it suddenly ends. Very unlikely i'll be bothered with Godzilla 2, definitely not in the cinema at least.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 22nd August 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Aw no! 'Godzilla' was one of my favourite films of last year. Very sad to see that leave so early. sad.gif

I liked how you didn't see Godzilla much until the second half or so. I agree they did the wrong thing by killing off Bryan Cranston's character so soon (shouldn't have at all though!) It perhaps wasn't exactly what I wanted/expected, but I was happy enough with it.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 23rd August 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #11
Group icon
c:

Haven't watched any of those whcih I guess will be a common theme because I ddin't go to the cinema much at all last year sad.gif The new Annie quite interested me because I love the original but I couldn't get anyone to see it with me and I suppose I should stay away from it now.

Finally watched the Winter Soldier and thought it was excellent so I hope that's rather high here too, I think I'd place it 2nd on my 2014 list behind X-Men. Forgot about Blended too, that was a cute film so it'd be nice to see it appear somewhere here.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 24th August 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #12
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

I'm done already. I loved Annie. sleep.gif

Rooting for Gone Girl, Paddington, Boyhood & Begin Again to all finish high.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 24th August 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Thanks for the comments heart.gif Aiming to get 95-81 up tonight!

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Aug 22 2015, 08:56 PM) *
Aw no! 'Godzilla' was one of my favourite films of last year. Very sad to see that leave so early. sad.gif

I liked how you didn't see Godzilla much until the second half or so. I agree they did the wrong thing by killing off Bryan Cranston's character so soon (shouldn't have at all though!) It perhaps wasn't exactly what I wanted/expected, but I was happy enough with it.

I just got really bored with no Godzilla and by the time he appeared I was underwhelmed sad.gif

QUOTE(Josh. @ Aug 23 2015, 11:51 AM) *
Haven't watched any of those whcih I guess will be a common theme because I ddin't go to the cinema much at all last year sad.gif The new Annie quite interested me because I love the original but I couldn't get anyone to see it with me and I suppose I should stay away from it now.

Finally watched the Winter Soldier and thought it was excellent so I hope that's rather high here too, I think I'd place it 2nd on my 2014 list behind X-Men. Forgot about Blended too, that was a cute film so it'd be nice to see it appear somewhere here.

One on your list you posted earlier is coming in the next 5 so there will be 1 you have watched soon! Blended will also definitely appear on here smile.gif

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Aug 24 2015, 09:42 PM) *
I'm done already. I loved Annie. sleep.gif

Rooting for Gone Girl, Paddington, Boyhood & Begin Again to all finish high.

Thanks Jahq, they are all a while away from being revealed heart.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 24th August 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #14
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

95. RIDE ALONG
The sooner Kevin Hart disappears from the movie business, the better! He is so so annoying as demonstrated in this useless film that tries to be funny but is not funny like once at all. The movie just wouldn't end and would keep getting more boring and unfunny as it went on.

94. POMPEII
Incredibly boring and so many unlikeable characters. I don't think I've ever wooted so much for all the characters to die apart from 1 who was good who died like first of course! The movie just dragged and dragged and the twists were unexciting and the visual effects were horrid. The only good thing about this movie (apart from the fact it finished) is a massive argument broke out during the screening for about 10 minutes for no particular reason!

93. LONE SURVIVOR
Easily one of the most stupidest titles for a movie ever. I wonder what happens at the end? Does one soldier survive and the rest die ohmy.gif Anyway the movie is incredibly boring and disappointing the whole way through.

92. DRACULA UNTOLD
Another boring and tedious movie with so many boring characters that were pointless and again the only good characters dying so early! The villains were awful and the child actor easily gave one of the worst child performances I've seen for a while. Between this and I, Frakenstein, these classic monster movies better improve!

91. THE LEGO MOVIE
Is this the most overrated movie of 2014? Easily! The first two thirds are quite annoying and boring and Batman really got on my nerves for some reason. Based on the first 2/3rds it would be about 70th probably. However that ending is only beaten by the anomaly and the last days on mars for 2014 movies for awfulness. The live action part is so annoying and ruins any vibe the movie had for me and it gets so predictable from there onwards which is a shame as I was really anticipating this. Though it was quite fun being snubbed from the Oscars as I predicted it would get snubbed in like May 2014 and everyone laughed because it would be nominated and probably win so it was nice to feel better than them as I was right in the end! I do like Everything Is Awesome though now despite finding it incredibly annoying at the time.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 24th August 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #15
Group icon
c:

I actually enjoyed the Lego Movie more than I was expecting, me and my mates all just sort of went for a laugh but it was all so enjoyable and a bit throwback to childhood and playing with Lego and wanting to bring them all to life like they were in this film. One of my favourite things about the Lego games themselves is seeing how different characters are created in Lego form so it was fantastic to see cameos from people like Milhouse, Lincoln and Shakespeare too.

I agree the live-action part was awful though and really took me out of the movie. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Josh.: 24th August 2015, 10:34 PM

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 24th August 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #16
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675

I wasn't a fan of 'The Lego Movie' either I'm afraid nocheer.gif It was well made, I think it just wasn't for me as such. The climax and ending were extremely well-thought out and enjoyable nevertheless, I loved how they managed to link the Lego world with the real world, I thought it was really clever. It's a pity that I didn't enjoy the first 2/3 of the movie but hopefully the sequel will win me over completely!

This post has been edited by N💎lly. S: 24th August 2015, 11:39 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2015, 02:00 AM
Post #17
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

90. ROBOCOP
Moving into movies that were just pretty bad instead of horrendous now. This was so boring and there was barely any plot. The lead actor was terrible and it was just boring and quite disappointing as I was hoping it would be good. Also such a forgettable movie!

89. NO GOOD DEED
This would have been a bit better if the characters were more likeable and it didn't turn into a gigantic mess in the last 20 minutes when it felt like everything was just repeating itself. Also Idris Elba's character has to be one of the most horrid unlikeable characters in any movie I've seen so it really put me off the movie.

88. HONEYMOON
The ending is probably in the worst 5 of the year as everything again just turned into a random mess and it suddenly turned to like aliens or something for the 1st time in the entire movie which was very weird. However the lead couple was good and the guy was quite hot so it wasn't too bad. And it was quite interesting to start off with but the supporting cast weren't good at all and there were some utterly disgusting scenes.

87. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES
2nd- arguably 3rd- horror movie in a row now as this was quite boring until the last 20 minutes which were actually quite scary. I don't remember much about it but this was definitely better than the hideously overrated Paranormal Activity for me!

86. MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM
Finally not a horror movie (don't worry there's another 2 to come in the next section)! Easily one of the biggest disappointments of the year. I had such high hopes for this as I find Nelson Mandela such an interesting and inspirational person (FunFact: he was born on the same day as me) and I thought it would be a really interesting life story about him but it was just so boring and focused on the non interesting parts which was a shame. Idris Elba and Naomi Harris were amazing in their roles though and I think at least one of them should've been Oscar nominated.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 25th August 2015, 02:14 AM
Post #18
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

85. DEVIL'S DUE
Now were heading into the 3 to 5/10 section for a while which is the films that are pretty much major disappointments or forgettable movies. Devil's Due was quite a fun horror movie with a good cast but it was just mad to get it any higher than this. I was laughing so badly at some of the scenes (which were unintentionally funny) and some of it was so awful it was good.

84. LOCKE
I was expecting something major to happen as the plot synopsis said his life broke down and also the movie felt like it was building up to something massive, maybe a death or something. But nothing happened. All that happened was a divorce from the wife and his pregnant girlfriend gave birth which was really disappointing for a movie looking like it was heading somewhere.

83. DIVERGENT
By a million miles the biggest disappointment of 2014. When I made my predictions for my favourite movies of 2014 back in December 2013, I predicted this would be my favourite movie of the year but here it ends up in 83rd sad.gif So what went so wrong? The amount of changes from the book- which is in my top 5 favourite books of all time- to the movie were shocking, about 80% was changed and major parts amongst the best parts of the book were left out or heavily altered. Most of the characters weren't played great by the cast and so many key characters that I loved were left out of the movie and it felt really rushed in places and moving at a too slow pace at other times. Thank gosh Shailene Woodley was perfect and fantastic as Tris which gave this film at least one great thing. I did adore Insurgent though so hopefully further sequels will be similar in quality to Insurgent!

82. THE BABADOOK
I was looking up posters for the movie while making the poster thing at the top of the post and the pictures I saw were more scary than the actual movie. I was expecting a great scary horror considering the hype, the goodwill and the reviews but I wasn't scared once. I liked the characters but it was just underwhelming as literally nothing happened the whole movie apart from people being a bit scared of a monster which just wasn't scary. sad.gif

81. NOAH
I did enjoy this but it was a massive mess at times, especially the ending which just went crazy in my opinion. Russell Crowe and Emma Watson were great but some of the cast were awful, especially one of Noah's sons. The special effects and the beginning were really good though but it just felt like at many times the movie could have been better!

The next section will feature an Oscar winner! Any predictions?

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 25th August 2015, 08:33 AM
Post #19
Group icon
c:

Oh no way, Mandela was born on my birthday too, omg! ohmy.gif

Two really good movies going out there imo sad.gif :'( I agree that Divergent could've been slightly better with a few changes to make it more like the book but I think I would enjoy any adaptation of the book at all because the book is so strong, I loved seeing the Abnegation and Dauntless brought to life and I agree Shailene Woodley was very good, same about Miles Teller. Shame that Theo James was cast at all..

I actually though the best parts of Noah was when he went batshit crazy towards the end and and started trying to kill babies and burning the raft so they can't escape. I agree the acting from Russell and Emma was really good, I really like Logan Lerman too, he was the highlight of Fury for me when you get round to watching that.

This post has been edited by Josh.: 25th August 2015, 08:40 AM

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 25th August 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #20
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Interesting to see different perspectives from someone who hasn't read the books (myself) and some who has (yourself) as I easily enjoyed Divergent more than Insurgent.

Not that Lego Movie drag though, I still think the first three quarters or so are rather excellent but my feelings towards the movie did dampen a little since the first viewing and I continue to maintain that the live action element is awful and ruins it.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:26 PM