BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are you close with your family?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGrinch
post Aug 20 2015, 02:27 PM
Post #1
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

The topic title explains the question really.

I'm very close with my mum and dad despite them being separated, I'm close with one of my two brothers but don't really spoke to the other one because he's a twat. I'm not really close with my cousins etc either.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 20 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #2
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I've been closer to my parents that I've ever been since moving out laugh.gif Especially my mum, I seem to tell her stuff easily now that I maybe wouldn't have talked to her about a year ago. We still argue a bit but not to the extent we used to, I basically didn't get on with my mum well at all whilst I was at high school. Cameron and I were really close when we were younger, not so much during high school but again since moving out we're a lot closer and will actually plan to do things together when I'm back home for a few days or he comes up to see me biggrin.gif

As for the rest of my family, we're only in touch with one of my Aunites from my dads side, his other three siblings went gallivanting years ago and don't keep in touch. My other Auntie, Uncle and Cousin live near my parents but for some reason we don't really see much of them. My Dad's cousin also happens to be my Mum's best friend and has been since they were like twelve (my parents met through her), we call her Auntie too, I actually forget she and my cousin aren't technically my Auntie and Cousin, we see them about as much as my mums sister, although I think my mum is closer to her best friend rather than her sister laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ℓindsey ♫: Aug 20 2015, 02:46 PM

+Quote Post
M.
post Aug 20 2015, 03:03 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

First of all, I'm extremely close to one of my cousins. She's ten years older than me but we have something rather special going on in terms of a bond. We can pretty much talk about anything and you need people like that. She gets on my nerves at times too with certain things but that's natural.

I'm also quite close to my sister and we get along super well and have had no real conflicts for years. We are quite similar in ways and we can chat about pretty much anything. She's one of the people I feel most comfortable philosophising with, which I appreciate very much.

I get along with my dog really well.

My mum and I have a difficult relationship. Most of the time she's sweet, but lately I have begun to think of her as a little emotionally immature and we've been clashing a lot for years. We don't feel at ease with each other. We both feel as if we can't really talk to each other. When we attempt to talk about something important to us, one of us often loses our nerve or gets irritated. She often quickly leaves the room and basically runs away from me when I begin to get a little emotional about something. Keywords are 'a little'. She also doesn't seem to accept other peoples' differences and quirks very successfully, and calls me "abnormally philosophical", even though I rarely philosophise with her (because I can't). I do with others. She is also terrible at arguments. She seems to get into them a lot and loses all sense of logic, whereas I tend to be quite logical in arguments, until I start to seethe. During arguments, she starts talking about the most unrelated things and begins to knock every single little thing about me that really doesn't have any significance or importance, things that are really petty and small. e.g. we were arguing about some stupid thing the other week and she randomly brought up the fact that I didn't throw a note in the bin that she had left for me on the table, after I had finished reading it. I had left it on the table. I asked her "Why does that bother you?" and she fumingly replied "It bothers me!" W.T.F. Now I feel like I should be paranoid about making sure to always throw her notes away after I have finished reading them...

It's close to impossible for me to open up with her. I feel like she doesn't really know me, know what I'm really about. I would like to open up with her more, but I don't seem to have the ability to do that with her, it's really weird. I'm way more open with you guys than I am with my own mum.

Don't get me wrong, she's really not a horrible person. She's a caring, intelligent, passionate, active person but yeah, we just struggle with each other and it has always been like that.

I'm not super close with any of my other cousins at this point, but we get along well. Same with my aunts and uncles. No one really has a problem with me.

I also have a rather difficult, awkward and uncomfortable relationship with the boyfriend of one of my cousins, although I haven't seen him for a while. When I was 16, he used to always attempt to make me into this manly macho man. He used to say things like "Oh, look at you Mattias, you're a big man now, aren't you?" in a macho voice, which just made me feel uncomfortable. He may not have meant anything by that particular sentence though. He is a friendly, helpful person overall, we just don't click at all. The first question he asked me when we first met was "Do you do soccer/football training in Ireland?" He also told me once after dinner "Are you finished dinner already? You have to eat three plates of food!" Also, he once suddenly said when I was visiting Estonia (where he lives and I'm also originally from), "Okay, next year's plan for Mattias is, find him three girls! Estonian girls are the most beautiful!" (tbf, they are stunning) and also "Your age is at the point now where there must be NO MORE FUN!" I was 16. I plan on having fun my entire life, thank you very f***ing much. Oh and the usual "Talk! You're so quiet!" Douchebag.

It felt suuuuuper good to open up about this stuff here, thank you Lee. But I feel like they're gonna suddenly google my name or something and find Buzzjack and find this topic and find my post and find that I've been talking about them and find me and kill me.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Aug 20 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #4
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(ℓindsey ♫ @ Aug 20 2015, 03:45 PM) *
I've been closer to my parents that I've ever been since moving out laugh.gif

Same here. I was always close with my mum (she's my cinema and gig buddy heart.gif she's into the same boybands and anything played by R1) but my dad annoyed me more when I had to live with him laugh.gif Living miles from my old home and only seeing them every couple of weeks or so makes the time we do have together more special.

I've always been close with my sister (16 year age gap), she used to take me out places when I was little and now she's got a girl who's almost one, I love getting to spend time with her. Don't get to see my brother as much but there's no bad blood or anything.

Closer with extended family on my mum's side, she had five or six brothers and sisters who've got families now and we have gatherings once or twice a year, we all get along which is lovely.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 20 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #5
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

Aww Matt, I'm sure things will get easier with your mum, I know I never really went into detail about my relationship with mine but I do understand/can relate and I don't think it will be that way forever, it may take a while but hopefully eventually you will get to a place where you're happier about the way you are together.

There's always gonna be people like the macho guy though, you've just gotta kinda ignore it and block it out and know that what he's saying is of no relevance a lot of the time. Ik it's difficult because even things like "you need to eat three plates of dinner", it makes you self-conscious about how much your eating, one little comment can stick in your mind for a long time, even if the person saying it didn't mean it in a bad way or think anything of it. I had a similar situation the other night where I only took two slices of pizza when everyone else had at least double that and my friends mum commented on how little I was eating, that's just me though laugh.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 20 2015, 03:25 PM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Sort of. I live with mum and bro, and one of my aunts lives half hour walk away. She does taxis and I've recently been doing her garden. My other aunt lives about 45m away but we don't see each other often at all, especially since my gran died. I also have an aunt in London who pops down every 3 years or so, and 2 more in Auzzie. So the answer is: "yeah I guess so"

+Quote Post
Riser
post Aug 20 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #7
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

VERY close. My brothers and cousins are my closest friends, we do just about everything together and I appreciate that even more now that we’re adults and still have that really close bond. I also spend loads of time with my parents and grandparents. Even my relatives that live far away we keep in touch with constantly and try to see them once or twice a year. But most of my family lives here and there’s no way I could leave them behind.

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Aug 20 2015, 04:06 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I'm closer to my mum than my dad. I'm closer to my sister than I was before now she and her boyfriend have a child. I'm friends with with most of my cousins from my dads side, one of my best friends is married with one of my cousins. I don't have any contact with my mums family apart from my uncle. I hate my aunts from my mums side because of how they treated my mum after their parents passed away. My family on fathers side is like really close and I can't live without them tbh.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Aug 20 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #9
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Aug 20 2015, 04:03 PM) *
I get along with my dog really well.

my fav post since my return ❤️

+Quote Post
Slade
post Aug 20 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I am extremely close with my family! Me and my parents (v down with the kids they are) and bro actually get on incredibly well, it's lovely.

Outside of that, my grandma lives really close (great grandma did too, which is why it was hard to come to terms with the fact that she had passed as I saw her almost every other day) so we see a lot of her when she's not in Spain in the flat there, and then I have a great relationship with my other grandparents but they are a bit further away. Really I have been brought up in a very tight-knit and loving environment and this is a huge area of my life that I'm extremely grateful for.

This post has been edited by Jade: Aug 20 2015, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Aug 20 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I get on great with my mum but she's 89 and has terminal cancer with only a few months left to live. I can't stand my sister and she doesn't like me either. We're only civil to each other now to sort our mum out with care etc. When my mum's died and everything is sorted, will and home etc, I won't have anything to do with my sister and won't respond if she contacts me. I've told her I don't want her at my funeral and if she died tomorrow I wouldn't attend hers.

Only keep up with two female cousins. Never have any contact with the others. Have an uncle and family in S. Ireland but haven't seen or had contact with them since my dad's funeral in 2001.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Aug 20 2015, 04:58 PM

+Quote Post
M.
post Aug 20 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Aug 20 2015, 05:13 PM) *
my fav post since my return ❤️

Aww <3

Your return was my favourite post tbh

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Aug 20 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #13
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Not really.

I pop in and visit my dad once a week (mostly) but we don't really have anything in common and it's just a 15 minute catch up, he doesn't really know a lot about my life and I like it that way, but he's a sweetheart and would do anything for me and I'm lucky to have him ultimately.

My mum passed away a couple of years ago and we had a very rocky relationship to say the least, but in the last few months we found a peace with each other which I'll always be thankful for. I don't have anything to do with her side of the family whatsoever.

My uncle on my dad's side is someone I have a great deal of respect and admiration for, but only usually see him a couple of times a year. The last of my remaining grandparents passed on Christmas eve and I got on with them very well.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Aug 20 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #14
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I am very close to my parents, I put up with Lindsey

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 20 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #15
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cameron @ Aug 20 2015, 06:12 PM) *
I am very close to my parents, I put up with Lindsey

Do you see my struggle?

You apparently camp out in your room 24 hours a day and don't speak to them though laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Aug 20 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #16
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

Cameron,

it's all okay mate <3

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Aug 20 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #17
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I'm close with all of my family. Because I like getting on with them. And it's definitely that I've found it better when I'm moving away and I only see them every now and then, when I'm home in the summer sometimes occasionally we can see too much of each other and it's a relief to be going but then it's always great seeing them when I haven't seen them for a while. My brother is pretty much my best friend and he's one of the few people I have in the same room for hours and not feel uncomfortable around. My other brother is getting better too as he grows up.

My mum and dad (and their partners) are all very lovely and supportive and god knows I've needed it getting through uni. Sometimes I don't feel like I'm truly free and living as an adult when I'm at home but it's not that bad, because I know I'll get to escape soon enough. Uncles, cousins, grandparents, love seeing them when I can because they all live a bit further away, I'm good friends with the cousins around my age but I don't see them as often as I'd like.

In summary, I really like my family and I enjoy spending time with them, but I could also easily move to the other side of the world and not miss them... too much. Well, maybe not the other side of the world but being on my own is very freeing for me.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 20 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #18
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Irish families are stupidly close. I hate it.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Aug 20 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #19
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I am close with my family. I get on well with my parents especially my mum. I do get well on well with my sister even though she is moany and gets on my nerve 90% of the time. She is my sister and I love her. I don't see my half sister loads but its nice when we do see her.

I am close with all my other members apart from mum's dad side as they live in Devon and my mum's brother as he lives somewhere with his boyfriend or Husband not sure tbh.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 20 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #20
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Not at all really and it's not the long story I'll go into now laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 11:28 AM