BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Biggest Underperformer of 2015 (So Far), every breath i breathe, chasin this American dream
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGrinch
post Sep 10 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #1
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

I would say arguably the biggest under-performers of 2015 are:

Rihanna: The entire campaign was messed up with Bitch Better Have My Money & American Oxygen both flopping absolutely horrendously which resulted into Rihanna scrapping her entire album which is very concerning for somebody as well known as her.

Ella Eyre: The amount of money that her label must be losing must be unreal, they've promoted her an incredible amount and she can't seem to manage a top 10 single despite reducing the majority of them to 59p and releasing covers of 'We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off' and more recently the world cup song 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot'.

Leona Lewis: It's scary how an artist can become incredibly irrelevant within two years, she's still managed to generate a good amount of airplay through Radio 2 but unfortunately I can't see her album debuting with over 14,000 and to be outperformed by Will Young will be rather amusing.

Zedd: I'm so disappointed by how his album has performed worldwide. I know, 'I Want You To Know' was a medium sized hit worldwide but he's not going to get any more hits from this album which is a great shame following the success of 'Stay The Night' and 'Clarity'.

Carly Rae Jepsen: Similar to 'I Want You To Know', ' I Really Like You' performed okay worldwide but flopped by the standards of it's promotion in America, the album in week two is already #62 in America and 'Run Away With Me' has yet to peak top 100 in the UK and I'm sure it's not going to peak within the top 30 despite decent enough television airplay and Radio 1 playlisting.

Charli XCX: What an absolute mess. She had the momentum following 'Fancy' and 'Boom Clap' and 'Doing It' never really set the charts alight with it's rapid decline down the chart despite being 59p.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Sep 10 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

I disagree with Carly, I don't think anyone expected her to have any success at all again - so for I Really Like You to do what it did was a big surprise for many people I think!

The others are solid shouts and you can probably add John Newman to that list as Come and Get It was nowhere near the next Love Me Again as I expect his label was expecting, and I doubt Tiring Game is going to do any better even once airplay builds.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Sep 10 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #3
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

Poor Rih, being labelled a flop by Lee Wallace says it all really. #Pray4R8

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Sep 10 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #4
🙄

QUOTE(Ryan. @ Sep 10 2015, 04:42 PM) *
I disagree with Carly, I don't think anyone expected her to have any success at all again - so for I Really Like You to do what it did was a big surprise for many people I think!

The others are solid shouts and you can probably add John Newman to that list as Come and Get It was nowhere near the next Love Me Again as I expect his label was expecting, and I doubt Tiring Game is going to do any better even once airplay builds.

' I Really Like You' had so much money put into it as well as Justin Bieber performing a parody. 'I Really Like You' was performed on Today Show, Good Morning America, Dancing With The Stars, Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel and Wendy Williams. With that amount of promotion I would have expected a bigger hit especially considering the music video was aimed at Social Media.

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Sep 10 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

edited.. I'd say Disclosure instead as aside form 'Omen' all their other tracks failed to reach the top 40 whereas in 2013 they were hot property scoring several top 40 hit. Same with Duke Dumont who scored two #1's last year and hasn't got a big hit so far this year. I think Duke's been mentioned lower down mind lol!

This post has been edited by Rob S ~: Sep 12 2015, 11:37 AM

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Sep 10 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #6
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I see Zedd shade

Cough cough The Saturdays who?

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Sep 10 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #7
🙄

QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Sep 10 2015, 05:13 PM) *
I see Zedd shade

Cough cough The Saturdays who?

The Saturdays haven't released in 2015 though.

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Sep 10 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #8
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

I disagree with Ella Eyre laugh.gif Ella Eyre still managed a handful of top 20s despite streaming dragging singers like her down the chart and her album opened to healthy sales in the top 5. I doubt the record label were expecting more than this (they probably just wanted her have a top 10 single at the most). She's done better commercially than quite a few British artists this year (Foxes sad.gif )

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Sep 10 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #9
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Ella should be the one having all those number ones over Jess Glynne.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Sep 10 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #10
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

Does anyone actually like Jess? She's just one big personality vacuum.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 10 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #11
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I'd say Leona, there was hype and hope for her this era with a new label and it's all really flagged. FUMF was a really odd release strategy but it wasn't a great song anyway... I think Another Love Song is easily her best chance of getting a hit, but it's probably too late for anything this era.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Sep 10 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #12
🙄

I forgot all about Foxes.

I guess she's too irrelevant for anyone to even remember.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Sep 10 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #13
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

Whats a Foxes?

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Sep 10 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Lucifer @ Sep 10 2015, 05:18 PM) *
Ella should be the one having all those number ones over Jess Glynne.

Toby spilling the truth right here. Ella is way better vocally than Jess Glynne anyday for me but then that's just me being a uber fan I guess so I would say that laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Rob S ~: Sep 10 2015, 04:28 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Sep 10 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #15
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Stereophonics, those local flops tbh

+Quote Post
SevenSeize
post Sep 10 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #16
i'm a rebel just for kicks now
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

Silly Ryan and his implication that John Newman has 'underperformed' huh.gif Still managing Top 5 singles despite the bitch that is streaming cheer.gif

Agreeing with the Rihanna, Leona and Ella Eyre suggestions so far. Carly Rae could also be applicable here outside of I Really Like You's UK success, though if it means anything her album has at least managed a ton of critical acclaim (deservedly) *.* Maybe too early yet but Rudimental could be one, Never Let You Go didn't do much and i can't really see 'I Will For Love' catching on at all

Oh yeah, and Conor Maynard.

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Sep 10 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

Ella's lack of success is just weird... "Comeback" should have been a #1 smasher. I dunno how big Brixton is but there's still over 1,000 tickets left for her show.

Carly Rae is surprising considering she's under Scooter's watch.

The other one I'd say is Hilary. I expected the album to debut at #1 in the US... but promo was her issue, I guess.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Sep 10 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #18
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(LeeWallace @ Sep 10 2015, 09:17 AM) *
The Saturdays haven't released in 2015 though.
I'm just messing with you tongue.gif

I do agree about Foxes though, "Body Talk" had a lot of potential but weak pre-orders and even weaker opening sales (avec streaming) really disappointed in the end.

I would probably add 5SOS in the mix despite it being a bit early in the era - while "She's Kinda Hot" rising to the top for a period of time proved that they still have the fanbase to get decent sales, but considering how much they've fallen, I don't think the general public is up for this album like they were before. Might be just them being more album-sellers like 1D but who knows.
QUOTE(SevenSees @ Sep 10 2015, 09:25 AM) *
Silly Ryan and his implication that John Newman has 'underperformed' huh.gif Still managing Top 5 singles despite the bitch that is streaming cheer.gif
"Come And Get It" being slated to be his next #1 and ultimately failing to have the same staying power = underperformance.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Sep 10 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

Sadly Hilary Duff. Although the album had top 5 peaks in Australia, Canada and the US. It fell out the charts very quickly, going 5-65 in the USA. Of the 3 singles, only 1 was included on the main version of the album, which some how was the worst world wide performer. Chasing The Sun charted better than Sparks in the USA and All About You charted much better and went gold in Aus.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Sep 10 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #20
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Duke Dumont - both of his singles of 2015 failed to make the top 30 when he previously had 2 #1s and a #2

Pharrell Williams - comeback single just scraped the top 40 and that was only because of the 5 day week/Spotify messup

Ne-Yo - lead single only made #14 when all his other leads were #1s. Followup 'She Knows' only a #28 hit despite jumping on the trap and guest Juicy J rap trends.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 09:03 PM