BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original Lyrics, Have you ever written your own?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jacobauble
post Oct 2 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #1
Merry Christmas <3
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

As a musician studying music at university I'm getting to the point that I'm putting pressure on myself to write a lot more than I have been doing not only because it's starting to become necessary in my actual work but also because I really want to start creating my own songs. Now I've been alright actually creating melodies and chord structures but I've found lyric writing so hard, I've finally started to write some usable lyrics but they're usually just a verse or chorus here and there and since my main 'instrument' is my voice I kinda need lyrics so I put other things on hold in order to write them first. That aside I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried writing some lyrics (especially if they're ones they're proud of), even if you don't play/ sing, and just write for fun.. and I guess if I could get any tips that'd be really nice. teresa.gif

I said I'd try posting more didn't I Plug.DJ crowd? biggrin.gif

Honestly I had no idea where to start posting so I thought maybe I'd start my own topic, talk about something that's been on my mind a lot the past few months. I think this is the right place for this topic, if it's not feel free to move it Mods.

This post has been edited by Jaco8472: Oct 2 2015, 11:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 2 2015, 11:49 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

What a great thread idea!

I haven't written many recently, but overall I have written hundreds of lyrics, from a very young age. It's such a natural thing for me but it's not for everyone, I'm sure. The way it often works for me personally is that when I'm in some kind of emotional situation, I just start writing and the words just come out. I never force it. It's more genuine that way. Just try to describe whatever situation you're in, or you could imagine a situation, and describe that, and how you would feel in that situation. I'm sure there are many ways of going about it. A lot of my lyrics end up being quite personal to me, and in some cases if others were to read them, they wouldn't really make sense tongue.gif Also, a lot of my lyrics don't have choruses. A lot of them do though.

We actually used to run songwriter competitions here on the forum, which I was obsessed with, I think we should have another one heehee.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Oct 3 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #3
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

The Songwriter was like the first thing I ever won on Buzzjack. I used to love it. I should link you to that. http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=songwriter Although some of what I wrote back there was bad and it was only because I learned quickly that I won.

Also, yay more topics, that's the right thing to do if you can't find where to post. Um, I like lyric-writing, as I've said to you before, mainly because I can get a theme and then start looking up words to fit into that theme. I tend to get a bit too literary though and mine are probably better suited as poems than songs, as I rarely consider how a tune would fit them.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 3 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Oct 3 2015, 01:03 AM) *
The Songwriter was like the first thing I ever won on Buzzjack. I used to love it. I should link you to that. http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=songwriter Although some of what I wrote back there was bad and it was only because I learned quickly that I won.

Also, yay more topics, that's the right thing to do if you can't find where to post. Um, I like lyric-writing, as I've said to you before, mainly because I can get a theme and then start looking up words to fit into that theme. I tend to get a bit too literary though and mine are probably better suited as poems than songs, as I rarely consider how a tune would fit them.

Cheers for giving a link to peoples' probably cringy posts from 2011 lmao jk

I still don't know how I did in the last contest! It was never finished, and I was told I won, but it may have been just a joke cos I was always asking about it laugh.gif And yes, I also do find that a lot of my lyrics end up more like poems. Can't really imagine anyone singing some of them. I wrote lyrics for my friend's band once though, just for fun, and they actually ended up using them ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Oct 3 2015, 12:40 AM
Post #5
Merry Christmas <3
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Oct 3 2015, 12:49 AM) *
What a great thread idea!

I haven't written many recently, but overall I have written hundreds of lyrics, from a very young age. It's such a natural thing for me but it's not for everyone, I'm sure. The way it often works for me personally is that when I'm in some kind of emotional situation, I just start writing and the words just come out. I never force it. It's more genuine that way. Just try to describe whatever situation you're in, or you could imagine a situation, and describe that, and how you would feel in that situation. I'm sure there are many ways of going about it. A lot of my lyrics end up being quite personal to me, and in some cases if others were to read them, they wouldn't really make sense tongue.gif Also, a lot of my lyrics don't have choruses. A lot of them do though.

We actually used to run songwriter competitions here on the forum, which I was obsessed with, I think we should have another one heehee.gif
That's what I've found, when drawing on my own experiences I write better lyrics but I often feel like I don't have enough experiences that I can write about, makes me feel really boring. laugh.gif
It's not that I'm bad at English, I'm just not so great with finding the root ideas, if I decide on a subject I find it much easier, but still fairly difficult. Absolutely great advice though, I'm fairly excited with one I'm working on right now, it might actually work out. I've heard of 'stream of consciousness' exercises where you just write down whatever comes to mind as soon as it does and work back through it and see if there's anything good later, but I can never discipline myself to get through more than a few minutes of that. It's really cool that you write so much, have you ever put them to song yourself or asked someone else to? Not necessarily the most personal ones I guess if you just wrote them for yourself but if there are any that would make sense/ be relateable to anyone?

QUOTE(Iz)

Yeah, I think I remember you doing that. biggrin.gif
Interesting, a lot of those look great but I agree with the poem part, songs don't necessarily have to be that wordy, especially if there are elongated words etc. Of course it depends a lot on the genre and style of vocals.

ETA:
QUOTE(Mattias)
I wrote lyrics for my friend's band once though, just for fun, and they actually ended up using them

Well that answers that. That's really good, did you get to listen to it/ is there a recording? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jaco8472: Oct 3 2015, 12:43 AM

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 3 2015, 01:23 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jaco8472 @ Oct 3 2015, 01:40 AM) *
That's what I've found, when drawing on my own experiences I write better lyrics but I often feel like I don't have enough experiences that I can write about, makes me feel really boring. laugh.gif
It's not that I'm bad at English, I'm just not so great with finding the root ideas, if I decide on a subject I find it much easier, but still fairly difficult. Absolutely great advice though, I'm fairly excited with one I'm working on right now, it might actually work out. I've heard of 'stream of consciousness' exercises where you just write down whatever comes to mind as soon as it does and work back through it and see if there's anything good later, but I can never discipline myself to get through more than a few minutes of that. It's really cool that you write so much, have you ever put them to song yourself or asked someone else to? Not necessarily the most personal ones I guess if you just wrote them for yourself but if there are any that would make sense/ be relateable to anyone?

ETA:
Well that answers that. That's really good, did you get to listen to it/ is there a recording? biggrin.gif

Yeah, I've done a few recordings of my lyrics with my own music but they're really not as good as I would like them to be but you have to start from somewhere. That's something I definitely need more practice with. It's hard to get it sounding the way you imagine. At least it is for me. I don't really have a huge amount of technical knowledge or whatever. I have the same discipline problem with music that you have with the stream of consciousness thing, I just don't seem to be able to work on a track properly for a huge amount of time and actually get it perfect. There have been times where it has really clicked and it has been like wow, this particular sound turned out exactly like I wanted etc., but a lot of the time I get frustrated in the end and just close the program sad.gif I do think a lot of the time it's just a case of having to experiment and play around and maybe even abandon any previous ideas you had, just to see if anything new and fresh happens spontaneously that just seems to work and that you never even imagined.

I think I may have heard the song I wrote for my friend's band performed before, but I'm not entirely sure. I sent my friend a message asking if I could share it here if he has a link. It's definitely one that isn't really personal so I guess I'd feel okay sharing it.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 3 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #7
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

It only makes sense that I'm posting in this thread too kink.gif
Sometimes I put words together in my head and it turns into a song but I never write them down or anything kink.gif

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Oct 3 2015, 10:53 AM
Post #8
Merry Christmas <3
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias)
Yeah, I've done a few recordings of my lyrics with my own music but they're really not as good as I would like them to be but you have to start from somewhere. That's something I definitely need more practice with. It's hard to get it sounding the way you imagine. At least it is for me. I don't really have a huge amount of technical knowledge or whatever. I have the same discipline problem with music that you have with the stream of consciousness thing, I just don't seem to be able to work on a track properly for a huge amount of time and actually get it perfect. There have been times where it has really clicked and it has been like wow, this particular sound turned out exactly like I wanted etc., but a lot of the time I get frustrated in the end and just close the program sad.gif I do think a lot of the time it's just a case of having to experiment and play around and maybe even abandon any previous ideas you had, just to see if anything new and fresh happens spontaneously that just seems to work and that you never even imagined.

I think I may have heard the song I wrote for my friend's band performed before, but I'm not entirely sure. I sent my friend a message asking if I could share it here if he has a link. It's definitely one that isn't really personal so I guess I'd feel okay sharing it.
I find that part really fun, I can't get enough of playing - unless I'm trying to do a hard part and keep messing it up, I have been known to rage quit then. tongue.gif
For me, when I have an idea I make sure I get one really rough take of it so I don't forget it, but then I just keep working on it without recording until I get something new, then when I think it's ready to do I start recording a 'proper' demo. Remember your first ones don't have to sound perfect, you never really finish a song ever, there's always something you could tweak or add. I've got a ton of things I got halfway through and just abandoned- maybe I'll pick them up one day - but even if I don't they were still worth doing for the experience.

By technical knowledge do you mean with singing or with recording? If it's singing: Practice a lot, use your diaphragm (breathe deep), sing along with tracks you listen to and make sure you don't strain yourself by singing too high, (if it ever hurts, stop) you can expand your range but it needs to be done right. But then the best thing would be to get lessons, even if it's just for a few weeks. Going back to recording, you can always double track your vocals -by that I mean copy/ paste - and put one of the tracks slightly ahead (half a second or so), it adds a lot of depth to the sound and as long as you don't overuse it works really nicely, especially for a powerful chorus or something. Same applies for harmonies, they can add a lot.

Also, what program do you use? Getting used to the program takes time, I use Ableton Live 8 and I love it, took a while to get used to but I find it so easy to use now... as for Logic, which is what I use in college, well I can use it but there's so much I can't do with it, and the way overlapping tracks work annoys me. I blame Apple.

That'd be great, would love to hear it. <3

ETA:
QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 3 2015, 11:23 AM) *
It only makes sense that I'm posting in this thread too kink.gif
Sometimes I put words together in my head and it turns into a song but I never write them down or anything kink.gif

Write them down! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Jaco8472: Oct 3 2015, 11:01 AM

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Oct 3 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #9
Girl, put in work.
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

I used to write some lyrics but I haven't done it in quite some time. I have a Dutch one (called ''She'') that I'm pretty satisfied with. And another Dutch one that I love just because it is so ridiculous and overly dramatic (called ''My Tears'' and must be recorded by Celine Dion).

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 3 2015, 11:04 AM
Post #10

Well there is this set of lyrics that I've had in my head for a couple of months(telling me something? thinking.gif )

It's unfinished of course kink.gif

I was the archer, and you were the target,
Arrows flew across the ocean, the battlefield of our future,
Even in rain, the pouring rain, I tried again, and I'll try again,
To ease the pain, to stay the same, I'll come back again, with you Elaine,

Chorus
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love, (you got to)

It's a tropic house genre with male (or female) vocals. DJ Spadz - "Aim Higher" out 2017 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 3 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

This thread is already giving me life lmao

QUOTE(Jaco8472 @ Oct 3 2015, 11:53 AM) *
I find that part really fun, I can't get enough of playing - unless I'm trying to do a hard part and keep messing it up, I have been known to rage quit then. tongue.gif
For me, when I have an idea I make sure I get one really rough take of it so I don't forget it, but then I just keep working on it without recording until I get something new, then when I think it's ready to do I start recording a 'proper' demo. Remember your first ones don't have to sound perfect, you never really finish a song ever, there's always something you could tweak or add. I've got a ton of things I got halfway through and just abandoned- maybe I'll pick them up one day - but even if I don't they were still worth doing for the experience.

By technical knowledge do you mean with singing or with recording? If it's singing: Practice a lot, use your diaphragm (breathe deep), sing along with tracks you listen to and make sure you don't strain yourself by singing too high, (if it ever hurts, stop) you can expand your range but it needs to be done right. But then the best thing would be to get lessons, even if it's just for a few weeks. Going back to recording, you can always double track your vocals -by that I mean copy/ paste - and put one of the tracks slightly ahead (half a second or so), it adds a lot of depth to the sound and as long as you don't overuse it works really nicely, especially for a powerful chorus or something. Same applies for harmonies, they can add a lot.

Also, what program do you use? Getting used to the program takes time, I use Ableton Live 8 and I love it, took a while to get used to but I find it so easy to use now... as for Logic, which is what I use in college, well I can use it but there's so much I can't do with it, and the way overlapping tracks work annoys me. I blame Apple.

That'd be great, would love to hear it. <3

I use the program Reason. By technical problems I probably mean mostly getting around the program and stuff. I know the basics, but I just kinda taught myself because I tend to be too restless to read manuals properly and stuff. I think maybe I have a hard time studying creativity sometimes, I just kinda want to go and do it, if you know what I mean heehee.gif Which isn't always the best thing, really.. I've never really taken a music course or anything, and maybe I should because I'm really passionate about the idea (and the practice, of course tongue.gif) of creating music. My singing is not perfect either but I can imagine within the right track, in the right context, it could really work. You don't have to be a perfect singer anyway to make a track that feels good. Currently pretty much everything I make musically turns out so experimental and I haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing, because the reason it turns out that way is that I just don't know how to create a more 'conventional' track on the computer yet. So it's literally just me playing around and choosing what sounds good to me. I used to play guitar and keyboard a bit too (should really get back into it sad.gif), and I really don't only listen to electronic music, but when it comes to actually being involved in the creation of music, I'm just really drawn to the electronic side of things. I have so many tracks I would like to finish but I just don't know what to do with them... Sorry for rambling, but it's interesting to get a chance to talk about this stuff heehee.gif

QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 3 2015, 12:04 PM) *
Well there is this set of lyrics that I've had in my head for a couple of months(telling me something? thinking.gif )

Chorus
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,

It's a tropic house genre with male (or female) vocals. DJ Spadz - "Aim Higher" out 2017 laugh.gif

I like it Adam ohmy.gif

Reading back on some of my old lyrics from the previous contests and from my own lyrics folder, it's actually kinda hilarious heehee.gif A lot of them are either really emo or really filthy laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Oct 3 2015, 12:04 PM
Post #12
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 3 2015, 12:04 PM) *

Chorus
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,

Who is Elaine? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Oct 3 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #13
Girl, put in work.
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausEveryWeekend @ Oct 3 2015, 02:04 PM) *
Who is Elaine? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 3 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I'm gonna improvise in writing an emo song right now because I have nothing better to do..

Blue Oceans

Turning on the computer
Again and again, you know I can't resist
Electronics inside it, giving me an image
of people speaking in a virtual fashion
Only one life is oh so likely
We share and share
But we never really know

Oh the depths of the oceans
Reflected on my screen
Who knows what they are really thinking
Who knows what's inside
(Oh, oh, baby)

We need stimulation
to get through the day
We turn into personas
Whether we like it or not
Often unaware, often oblivious
Conflicts may ensue
But we must hold on, strong

Reflected on my screen
Who knows what's inside
(Oh, oh, baby)

A name I hear in the wind
Could it be mine? Could it be real?
I run towards it with fierce might
Please don't let me fall, please don't let me trip

Why did you leave me, bitch
How could you do this to me
Don't you know I love you
Don't you know I care
Don't you know I still want your bad romance
(Oh, oh, oh, ah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)

[Instrumental]

Another day with significant time
spent in front of a screen
Another day of significant lives
Coming together in significant ways
My heart is in fear
of being left cold
My mind in pieces, can't be put together

Reflected on my screen
Who knows what's inside
(Oh, oh, baby)

Oceans, oceans, baby, yes
Drive me to the oceans
Gimme your love (Your love, your love)
Don't throw away my laptop, you whore
I would be lost in despair
With no way of getting back...
No way
No, no way...
No way at all
Of getting back
Ever.

rotf.gif

SORRY

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 3 2015, 01:12 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(HausEveryWeekend @ Oct 3 2015, 01:04 PM) *
Who is Elaine? ohmy.gif

You know when you hear a song and then it seems like they just chucked a word randomly to make it rhyme, yeah kink.gif

Lmao at Mattias and ha lyrics laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 3 2015, 01:45 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 3 2015, 02:12 PM) *
Lmao at Mattias and ha lyrics laugh.gif

I have written better ones in the past, believe me.

We should totally run another songwriter. I need a challenge, and to see if I can still actually do this in a proper way. That last one was more like a parody of my previous emo-lyrics.

This post has been edited by Mattias: Oct 3 2015, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 3 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I just found the lyrics I wrote for my friend's band, here they are. He said he probably doesn't have a recording. It doesn't have a date on it which is unusual for me but I'm pretty sure I wrote these in either late 2008 or early to mid 2009, so I would've been either 17 or 18. It's not my worst but it's not my best.

All Because of You

You broke my heart
and my world
It blacked out
All out

The forest is treeless
The ocean dry
The sky dark and sombre
All because of you

You let go of my hand
And slid out the door
You disappeared into air
Cold air

The mountains are hollow
The streets black and quiet
The wind lost its life
No oxygen

And how long it took
for you to be honest
That you never felt love
True love
And what is your fate
I wonder now
Will I see you again?

You dried our mouths
in wordless hours
You took my mind
and flew it out the roof

The city is quiet
and sad in that state
The village is loud
All because of you

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 3 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Mattias @ Oct 3 2015, 02:45 PM) *
I have written better ones in the past, believe me.

We should totally run another songwriter. I need a challenge, and to see if I can still actually do this in a proper way. That last one was more like a parody of my previous emo-lyrics.

BJSC style hosted in the lounge? thinking.gif I probably won't be hosting as I'm getting busier with college work and the Owl City results soon smile.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Oct 3 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 3 2015, 04:22 PM) *
BJSC style hosted in the lounge? thinking.gif I probably won't be hosting as I'm getting busier with college work and the Owl City results soon smile.gif

Check out the link Iz posted maybe. We had a few contestants (there was never a huge amount) and a few judges, and we voted for each other's songs too and people that weren't directly involved in the contest were able to vote for the songs too I think. I wouldn't really want to host either probably, I had a few mess-ups in the BJSC listening session last night, although nothing major, I was able to fix everything, phew. I'm hoping the Owl City results will run smoothly though, at least I'm not doing that on my own tongue.gif

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Oct 3 2015, 03:38 PM
Post #20
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jaco8472 @ Oct 2 2015, 11:23 PM) *
As a musician studying music at university I'm getting to the point that I'm putting pressure on myself to write a lot more than I have been doing not only because it's starting to become necessary in my actual work but also because I really want to start creating my own songs. Now I've been alright actually creating melodies and chord structures but I've found lyric writing so hard, I've finally started to write some usable lyrics but they're usually just a verse or chorus here and there and since my main 'instrument' is my voice I kinda need lyrics so I put other things on hold in order to write them first. That aside I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried writing some lyrics (especially if they're ones they're proud of), even if you don't play/ sing, and just write for fun.. and I guess if I could get any tips that'd be really nice. teresa.gif
I said I'd try posting more didn't I Plug.DJ crowd? biggrin.gif

Honestly I had no idea where to start posting so I thought maybe I'd start my own topic, talk about something that's been on my mind a lot the past few months. I think this is the right place for this topic, if it's not feel free to move it Mods.

Most songs have multiple writes, and very few are written by one person.

QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 3 2015, 11:04 AM) *

Chorus
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,
Aim higher in love,

I absolutely love that, Spinning Adam.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 01:29 AM