BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could you live without a mobile phone?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Oct 9 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #1
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Hello BuzzJack. It's been a while, I know I shouldn't have kept you waiting but I'm here now

Just concluded a full week without any access to a mobile phone (at the very least as far as the calling and texting goes) and it's been an oddly liberating experience. Backstory: my phone got pickpocketed on the bus and so between reporting to the police, getting the reference to the insurance company and getting the sim working I've had a week of being phoneless.

So, could you live as I have done or do you think you are inescapably devoured by the technology monster?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
M.
post Oct 9 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

omg LexC me too! Just spent a little over a week without a mobile phone because it broke and it DID feel strangely liberating!

However, I have a new one now and of course I'm happy about that too laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Oct 9 2015, 08:11 PM
Post #3
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

A year ago when the phone I owned dated back to the stone age I would've said yes.

Now I have a smartphone (albeit a rather basic one compared to the big names) I'm not so sure, WhatsApp has become such a part of my daily life (tbf that's the only thing I use it for regularly but other bits come in handy at times).

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Oct 9 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #4
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Basically what Jack said! Before upgrading to a post-18th century phone I could have easily gone without one but I'm too accustomed to my iPhone now that I'd probably struggle without it. Mainly for Whatsapp as well. And being able to use the Internet when I'm not at home.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Oct 9 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #5
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

No, nay, never. It was refreshing for 2 weeks but I definately need it with me

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Oct 9 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #6
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I never used to really rely on my phone that much, I was the kind of person who wouldn't charge their phone for a week after it died at one point, but since the whole smartphone thing, It's became a bit of an extra limb, and I feel lost without it now. When my phones been off getting fixed on many occasions I've had to use a basic phone that only really lets me call or text and it was a nightmare not being able to play an app or go on the internet etc if I was waiting for a bus or something laugh.gif In saying that, if it came to it I probably could live without it, I could not deal without my laptop though drama.gif

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Oct 9 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #7
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

NOPE

MY PHONE IS MY LIFE.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Oct 9 2015, 08:29 PM
Post #8
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Nowadays, no, but I probably could live without one maybe 3/4 years ago

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Oct 9 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #9
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Well my email alerts/contacts/music is all on my phone (plus CITYMAPPER aka the God send app) so I can access them anywhere so I'd be inclined to say no, Thankfully, I've never lost my phone in the five years of having it and I intend for that continue!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Oct 9 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

The struggle has been real without having any internet data until 15th Oct, let alone no phone at all. I usually text/call/Whatsapp too much on a daily basis, I'd feel a lil bit weird without my phone. pre-2013 when I had an awful one is where the answer probably would've been different.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Oct 9 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #11
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Absolutely not, I'm not as into the various social media PLATFORMS as others but I use it for music, games, messenger, whatsapp at least 4/5 hours a day so yeah it's pretty much an essential item.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Oct 9 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #12
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

probably, provided that my mobile phone (an iPhone) was replaced by an up to date iPod Touch so I could still listen to music and play apps on the go.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Oct 9 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #13
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

This post has been edited by Low Hanging Peen: Oct 9 2015, 09:39 PM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 9 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #14
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I must be dead then laugh.gif

Email/home phone/other ways of communicating are sufficient enough for me. I'd be "very sad" to loose my laptop and all its associated data, including music especially, and of course the Internet.

This post has been edited by Adam's Stories😍: Oct 9 2015, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
Riser
post Oct 10 2015, 02:55 AM
Post #15
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

I could just about manage without my phone. The longest I've gone is about six months when I broke it and waited ages to get it fixed, but my brother just let me use his phone, which is an option I wouldn't have now. I mostly use my phone to check the time anyway!

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Oct 10 2015, 06:27 AM
Post #16
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Probably not but I've been grounded more times than Lee talks about the Sats or Pixie combined so it's not like it makes a difference

+Quote Post
all is vanity.
post Oct 10 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #17
I will leave my heart at the door.
Member No.: 1,454

Yes, I have never had a mobile and don't want one. However, I would go nuts without my laptop.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Oct 10 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #18
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

There's no way i could survive without my smartphone at all. I've had smartphones for like 5.5 years now so it's become normal for me to be able to carry the internet and social media around in my pocket.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Oct 10 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

I tried. I genuinely did.

Back in the early noughties when I started secondary school, everyone was getting one and quickly those black & white Nokias became the must-have gadget of the moment. Attempting to be cool, I'd boast about "not needing" one. If I wanna talk to people I can just use a landline, or send a letter, or just speak to them in person. Hell, even use MSN Messenger, I'd say. And so right through my secondary years I soon became the only person in the school who didn't own a phone. It led to a limited social life, but I didn't care - I'd refused to join this silly fad. I didn't need one. Right?

It got steadily harder through the decade. I'd meet people when out. They'd ask for my number. I'd sadly say I didn't have one. By about 2007 people thought I was either lying or just nuts. "You don't have a phone?" they'd exclaim. Deep down, by now, I knew if the day ever arrived, if life and technology genuinely got to the point where I couldn't survive without one, I'd never be able to live a day without a mobile again. But still I tried to resist. Tried to prove my own individual point that you could genuinely live a day to day life as people did for hundreds, indeed thousands of years without needing a little cellular gadget constantly in your pocket.

At the end of my first term at uni, with friendships forming and nights out being arranged all the time, I realised that, finally, this couldn't go on. The world had moved on. It was time for me to do the same. Turns out that my parents had kept a spare phone in a draw - by now a fairly ancient mid-noughties model already lagging behind the times - for me to use should I ever take the plunge. Which I finally did, just after midnight, on New Years Day 2009. I finally had a phone. And I've never been able to live a second without it since.

...and then the smartphone arrived, which is a whole other story tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Oct 10 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #20
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Probably. I like my iPhone now but I used to live with only a basic phone for so long that I could easily go back to that (which was letting the phone lose its charge all the time and never responding to calls), and while it's nice to have plenty of avenues to contact people and I'd miss that, I can survive without it.

Basically I'm an antisocial loner and so losing a phone wouldn't bother me. Too much.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 04:26 AM