Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rihanna to star in Valérian & the City of a Thousand Planets, Rih's 3rd major film role
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Oct 30 2015, 11:06 AM
Post #1
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 11,955

Rihanna is to take a starring role in a science fiction film by the visionary French director Luc Besson in her first significant move into Hollywood.

The singer, who has sold 41m albums worldwide, follows actors such as Scarlett Johansson, Milla Jovovich and Zoe Saldana in working withBesson.

The 27-year-old will have a big role in the upcoming film Valérian and the City of a Thousand Planets, joining a cast that includes Clive Owen and the model-turned-actor Cara Delevingne.

Besson, the director of Fifth Element known for his action movies, tweeted his excitement on Wednesday night that Rihanna would be taking on her first major screen role in his film.

The film, by Besson’s own admission, is a risky venture. It will be an adaptation of the French comic Valérian and Laureline, with a budget of $180m (£118m), which he described earlier this year as “Mr and Mrs Smith in space”. Besson told San Diego Comic-Con he had thrown his original script for the movie in the bin and rewritten it with only five parts for humans. Filming on the project is due to begin in France in January.

The casting of Delevingne and now Rihanna could be seen as another risky move for the director: both are well known but have little to no experience in blockbuster films, particularly compared with Johansson, the lead in Besson’s recent film Lucy. Rihanna is a bestselling artist but her experience in acting has so far been restricted to music videos, a small cameo role in the remake of Annie, a voice role in the sci-fi animation Home released this year, and a part in the 2012 blockbuster Battleship.

However, the move could be seen as Rihanna continuing to follow in the footsteps of Madonna, who she has consistently cited as one of her biggest influences. Madonna was also 27 when she starred in Desperately Seeking Susan, the film that established her as an actor as well as a singer.

While Rihanna has not openly expressed a desire to abandon her music career for Hollywood, in a rare recent interview with the New York Times she said she was always looking for a new project: “I used to feel unsafe right in the moment of an accomplishment – I felt the ground fall from under my feet because this could be the end. And even now, while everyone is celebrating, I’m on to the next thing. I don’t want to get lost in this big cushion of success.”

I'd rather she GET ON with the music but good for her.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Nov 2 2015, 01:57 PM
Post #2
I hate pans
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16,660

Right now she just seems like a model, actress and partygirl before a singer. It's really starting to annoy me
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2016 - 11:30 PM