BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has the obligation to wear a poppy gone too far?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post Nov 2 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

For many years, some people have criticised the fact that it seems obligatory for anyone on television from some time in October to 11 November to wear a poppy. Even on some programmes recorded well in advance, people still wear poppies. Only last week, Sienna Miller was criticised for not wearing one when she appeared on Graham Norton's show.

Now, the panic about appearing without a poppy has gone one stage further. This morning, the picture of David Cameron on the Downing Street website had changed to show Cameron wearing a poppy. However, it wasn't hard to spot that the poppy had been added by using Photoshop or some similar software. After the story started to spread on Twitter, the picture was replaced with a real one of Cameron wearing a poppy.

This raises a number of questions. Here are two.

1) Would anybody have cared if the original, unaltered, photograph had remained on the Downing Street website?

2) What would tomorrow's front pages have looked like if the Labour Party had done the same with a picture of Jeremy Corbyn?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Nov 2 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #2
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

It's OTT IMO it should be your own choice, I'm with Jon Snow on this!

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Nov 2 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

It's people's choice. I would normally wait to the 1st of November to wear a poppy.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Nov 2 2015, 11:39 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I started wearing my poppy this weekend, but purely through choice.

It's a shame there's so much pressure in the media for people to be wearing poppies, especially when some may not be choosing to wear them for personal reasons (eg I know some people who prefer to wear white poppies)

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 3 2015, 09:06 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

It's way OTT in my opinion. I have issues with the poppys/remembrance day things because it's always so routed in religion. Any service to pay tribute is just a god/jesus overkill. And that is annoying for the huge amounts of people who find Christianity or religion totally not relevant to remembering somebody's life.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Nov 3 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #6
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

I bought mine a week ago and have been wearing it since but in no way do I think people should be called out for not wearing one.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Nov 3 2015, 09:50 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

It seems as if people on TV or the news who didn't wear a poppy will be called out nearly every time.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 3 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #8
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

i always feel uneasy when people wear them blinged out poppies like its now turned into some accessory

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 3 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #9
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

It's way OTT. The meaning of wearing one has been lost because everyone just seems to focus on who wears them and who doesn't...

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 3 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #10
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I never even knew it was poppy season again! I've not seen anyone wear one (I don't watch TV so I haven't heard it on there either) but I agree with what you are all saying: it's way too over the top :/

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 3 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

Not wearing a poppy doesn't mean you don't give a shit about the army and those who have died in war, just like wearing a poppy doesn't mean you do give a shit. I mean, most people who buy poppies do so because it's the done thing or because they happen to be offered to you; they don't then think deeply about those who have died in war. That's not a criticism, it's just the way it is.

+Quote Post
Harve
post Nov 3 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #12
when I notice the world is falling apart I will run a bath
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not sure about them.

I've always been cautious about the possibility that those who particularly commemorate deaths of your country's soldiers could often overlap with those who triumphantly celebrate foreign conflicts that your country's involved in. And I know I don't like the latter.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 3 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

It's annoying, because news broadcasters are told they have to wear one, but aren't allowed to promote other charities - for example they've been told in the past they aren't allowed to wear AIDS ribbons.

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Nov 3 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #14
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Member No.: 7,117

I suppose it's more important for someone in power to show respect for something as serious as this, but if I'm talking from a personal point of view... will I probably wear one? I'm likely to forget knowing the person that I am, but do I think it matters that I won't wear one? No, not really. I don't lose the ability to have sympathy or to show my respects.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 3 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #15
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think I've ever gone a year without wearing one. It's more like nostalgia and tradition from wearing it as a kid at this point. I am shocked at how few people my age wear them.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 3 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #16
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I probably won't wear one, I haven't for a few years. Not that I mind wearing one, and I never notice whether someone is wearing a poppy or not on TV or the like, nor do I really care. It's up to the individual to decide how they want to remember the past and/or military tragedies and a poppy, or lack thereof, doesn't really prove either way to me, especially when it's being enforced. And of course, emphasis on military tragedies because as with what Harve said, I don't want it to become anything to do with celebrating Britain or in any way glorifying war.

I suspect it'll become a less popular thing as we go through the years, ironically as we're supposed to be remembering the horrors of war.

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Nov 3 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #17
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Nov 3 2015, 01:43 PM) *
Not wearing a poppy doesn't mean you don't give a shit about the army and those who have died in war, just like wearing a poppy doesn't mean you do give a shit. I mean, most people who buy poppies do so because it's the done thing or because they happen to be offered to you; they don't then think deeply about those who have died in war. That's not a criticism, it's just the way it is.

It depends on where you live #n.ireland

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 3 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #18
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mack @ Nov 3 2015, 09:50 AM) *
It seems as if people on TV or the news who didn't wear a poppy will be called out nearly every time.

This is the main problem. The fact that you can't get away with not wearing one. I'll always wear one but people shouldn't be shamed into doing so.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 3 2015, 08:00 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Robot @ Nov 3 2015, 05:31 PM) *
I suppose it's more important for someone in power to show respect for something as serious as this, but if I'm talking from a personal point of view... will I probably wear one? I'm likely to forget knowing the person that I am, but do I think it matters that I won't wear one? No, not really. I don't lose the ability to have sympathy or to show my respects.

I think senior politicians have to accept that wearing a poppy goes with the job. The daft thing about this story is that some buffoon thought that it was necessary to add one to Cameron's photo. Unless, of course, the plan was then to point out that the photograph of Jeremy Corbyn on the Labour party website didn't feature a poppy.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 03:20 PM