BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> US Top 10 Best Selling Single Weeks - Elton John & Adele #1, Physical, Digital, & Combined Lists
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Ne Plus Ultra
post Nov 4 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,817
   No Gallery Pics

Since the Nielsen Music/Soundscan era (1991):

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/6752...-johns-princess

Elton, Adele, & Whitney's weeks are amazing! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 4 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #2
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

What I find interesting is that "I Knew You Were Trouble", "TiK ToK", "Grenade" and "Somebody That I Used To Know" didn't have the advantage of a hyped premiere during their weeks than the other six.

I need to find out how much "What Do You Mean?" sold on the first week.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 4 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #3
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

wowaweewa

should also be up there in week 2 too

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Nov 4 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

Feel like nothing will ever touch Adele's digital total tbh. Like, I'm sure the lead single for her next album will sell loads as well, but I can't imagine it'll be the same, the way sales are going. She was lucky to release this now, when streaming is just at the tipping point.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 5 2015, 01:04 AM
Post #5
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Shocked at how low the bar is for the top 10 physical sales weeks, I'm sure it must be higher than that in the UK with a population 20% the size. (Lol at 2 songs making up the entire top 9 of that list as well... laugh.gif I understand Elton but why was Whitney so inexplicably dominant?)

QUOTE(dhwe @ Nov 4 2015, 07:09 PM) *
Feel like nothing will ever touch Adele's digital total tbh. Like, I'm sure the lead single for her next album will sell loads as well, but I can't imagine it'll be the same, the way sales are going. She was lucky to release this now, when streaming is just at the tipping point.

It's almost inconceivable that anything could ever come close to this again, such an enormous outlier in a collapsing market. The most astonishing thing about this Adele comeback.

+Quote Post
Consie
post Nov 5 2015, 02:14 AM
Post #6
Don't slap me, cuz I'm not in the mood
Member No.: 303
   No Gallery Pics

One of the things I'm taking away from all this (in addition to Adele's incredible accomplishment) is just how otherworldly Candle In the Wind 1997 is. Only a year ago we were all shocked at how Taylor Swift's 1989 had bucked every trend and set 10 year records. 21 shocked us a few years back. 21 could happen again. Hello could happen again.

But I can't see any situation in which Candle in the Wind 1997 could ever be topped. The internet and media have changed and fragmented pop culture so much that I don't see any situation ever again arising in which we buy a single therapeutically, at least to the extraordinary degree as we did in 1997/8.

+Quote Post
stebags
post Nov 5 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 9,770
   No Gallery Pics

Unless someone more famous/loved dies perhaps?

+Quote Post
Viper*
post Nov 5 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #8
I Just Can't Feel The Same About You Anymore.
Member No.: 25

QUOTE(stebags @ Nov 5 2015, 01:28 PM) *
Unless someone more famous/loved dies perhaps?

But what person in the public eye is as much of a global sweetheart as Diana was that their passing would cause such global heartbreak?

Not only was it the person, the song was just a "moment", a song that already existed, that once the lyrics were applied to her passing seemed so poignant and fitting.

I just don't think that could happen again in this lifetime. I'd LOVE to see those figures, but I don't think it could happen.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 5 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #9
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

maybe when Elizabeth II dies? The queens tribute song to her would SELL

+Quote Post
Viper*
post Nov 5 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Nov 5 2015, 01:48 PM) *
maybe when Elizabeth II dies? The queens tribute song to her would SELL

I'm not too sure though.

The whole thing that made Diana was how approachable she was, she was "real".

The Queen, God bless her, is still very much hierarchy, still an elite. Plus again, it would require that PERFECT song/singer and I'm just not sure who that would be. (Enter Cliff Richard re releasing The Millenium Prayer sick2.gif )

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 5 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #11
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

I meant queen adeles tribute song to her

I think it's a potent mix of Adele being able to sell anything she releases right now in its millions and the actual queens death inevitably being one of the biggest events that were soon to see. Also how both of them connect with almost every age group esp the ones that still actually buy music and physicals etc.

either that or when jamelia dies

+Quote Post
Viper*
post Nov 5 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Nov 5 2015, 02:08 PM) *
I meant queen adeles tribute song to her

I think it's a potent mix of Adele being able to sell anything she releases right now in its millions and the actual queens death inevitably being one of the biggest events that were soon to see. Also how both of them connect with almost every age group esp the ones that still actually buy music and physicals etc.

either that or when jamelia dies

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Nov 6 2015, 05:22 AM
Post #13
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Nov 4 2015, 01:14 PM) *
What I find interesting is that "I Knew You Were Trouble", "TiK ToK", "Grenade" and "Somebody That I Used To Know" didn't have the advantage of a hyped premiere during their weeks than the other six.
Well three of those had the gift card effect to be fair. I've always found Gotye's number the most impressive on the downloads list (until now). The song was performed on Glee, American Idol, and SNL all in the same week so there was still some big exposure involved!

QUOTE(Bré @ Nov 4 2015, 08:04 PM) *
Shocked at how low the bar is for the top 10 physical sales weeks, I'm sure it must be higher than that in the UK with a population 20% the size. (Lol at 2 songs making up the entire top 9 of that list as well... laugh.gif I understand Elton but why was Whitney so inexplicably dominant?)
Well it is from the best-selling soundtrack of all time. (Or were you looking for a more kobbar-esque answer? heehee.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 10:52 AM