BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music and Personalities
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 9 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #1
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

So a conversation I had today got me thinking a bit about this. Particularly because it was highlighting how certain national stereotypes have personalities that don't really fit with their stereotypical music taste - in fact it's often the complete opposite.

Here's a few. Scandinavians are typically supposed to be mild-mannered, friendly people, yet they have the biggest metal scene, by density at least in the world and tend to get really ferocious and emotional in their music. It's something you wouldn't expect to be the case. Down south, you have the Spanish, who are seen as being hot-blooded, romantic types, yet the strongest element of their music scene is chilled latino strumming for playing over sunset scenes. Spanish metal is almost non-existent.

I might also add that us Brits have one of the most eclectic and weird music scenes on the planet despite being a boring and stuffy lot basil.gif

But then I realised it also can apply on a personal level. I'm pretty much the epitome of calm and passive in life yet you probably know all too well that I tend to prefer bombastic, epic music and lots of rough and raw elements never go amiss, while 'perfectly voiced' slow jam stuff often doesn't do much for me. I've noticed this can often be true of rock fans, they're quiet people on the outside and then a discussion of music taste comes up and they say they like hard stuff (and then I think... I'VE FOUND A BROTHER)

So yeah, does this theory fit for you or does it not, and your personality fits with exactly what you might expect of an *insert genre here* fan? Why might it be this way, that what we prefer in music is the opposite of how we are personally?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 9 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #2
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Yeah I'd say my music taste is often pretty polar opposite to what I'm like as a person - picture what you'd imagine a fan of The Prodigy to be like, and I'm essentially as far as you can get from that, yet The Prodigy are my favourite band laugh.gif I hadn't thought about this before, it is a very interesting trend.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 9 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Well... I am odd. Very odd. Owl City's lyrics are very odd a lot of the time too kink.gif
I love dance music. I love to have fun. So yeah, most of the time my taste fits my personality I guess.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 9 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #4
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

I think it goes to show that national stereotypes are a bad predictor of personalities.

+Quote Post
AaronTM
post Nov 9 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #5
salty foods parch the human
Member No.: 4,631

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Nov 9 2015, 03:50 PM) *
Why might it be this way, that what we prefer in music is the opposite of how we are personally?

Personally, I think music is a way for people to express themselves and perhaps escape from reality for a bit. I can see that being a reason why you might get people who are quiet and reserved listening to punk, metal etc. I suppose on the other hand, you might get someone who spends a lot of their life talking or surrounded by noise who just wants to listen to Katie Melua when they get home.

For me, my music taste is pretty much 95% female orientated with a tendency towards R&B/soul/pop but any genre is good as long as it's female. I'm not sure how this links to my personality. I'm quite quiet and I LIVE for sassy diva bangers, so I suppose it works in that sense. I also don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of gay men like female pop music - I think there must definitely be some link to personality.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 9 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #6
masala me

QUOTE(Cauldron @ Nov 9 2015, 05:08 PM) *
I think it goes to show that national stereotypes are a bad predictor of personalities.

Well they're what we see on a macro level, I can't go around interviewing hundreds of people for that so I'm stuck with the stereotypes. They are there for a reason so that if you took a given Scandi you'd expect them to be pretty friendly if introverted. That's a base stereotype we have of them. But they're not tropes you'd associate with metal fans. Yet Scandinavia has the biggest portion of those too. Even allowing for different sections of society there's got to be a significant amount of overlap.

If this was the exception, it wouldn't be worth discussing but it seems to be pretty common and that's unusual to my mind - you would expect someone's music taste to be a mirror for their personality, and there's probably plenty of examples of that, but not the opposite so much, and yet there seem to be just as many examples.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Nov 9 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #7
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Yup, basically what you've already said about rock fans applies to me, I'm very reserved and introverted and rock music often is not like that at all laugh.gif I also like pop-punk music and anything that branches off to really, even heavier stuff. I think a lot of peope expect you to dress alternatively, y'know "gothic" or "emo" if you like thay sort of music, which I certainly don't laugh.gif

Idk if I could ever look at someone and guess their taste, everyone is so different and music taste can be so varied

This post has been edited by Lindsey ♌: Nov 9 2015, 06:15 PM

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 9 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

This is an interesting topic, and I've always wondered about this correlation. In some ways I think my music taste does add up to my personality as I tend to be into the more alternative and left-field music that isn't that prevalent in the mainstream (definitely more so this year than before), which in some way adds up to myself as I'm quite an introvert, not particularly outgoing and sociable and don't share a lot of the same interests as a lot of people my age group, which I suppose corresponds to why I seek music from quieter sources or not massively hyped songs in the charts. But then, I do like some music in the charts and a variety of genres, so I dunno, I find it hard to describle my general taste as well as my personality, so there's a correlation there as well.

Also, I'm quite an emotional person but I'm definitely not vocal unless you know me very wellm so I have a fondness for sad songs and melancholic ballads as they allow me to really...feel that and channel the emotions, for want of a better word.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 9 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #9
masala me

QUOTE(AaronTM @ Nov 9 2015, 05:58 PM) *
Personally, I think music is a way for people to express themselves and perhaps escape from reality for a bit. I can see that being a reason why you might get people who are quiet and reserved listening to punk, metal etc. I suppose on the other hand, you might get someone who spends a lot of their life talking or surrounded by noise who just wants to listen to Katie Melua when they get home.

For me, my music taste is pretty much 95% female orientated with a tendency towards R&B/soul/pop but any genre is good as long as it's female. I'm not sure how this links to my personality. I'm quite quiet and I LIVE for sassy diva bangers, so I suppose it works in that sense. I also don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of gay men like female pop music - I think there must definitely be some link to personality.

Yep, that is one solution, I do tend to listen to music to excite me and get energised, I try to lead the opposite of a stressful life so instead of a relaxation mechanic as it is for some people music is instead for me an emotional release. I can get relaxed by music but I'm already pretty chill most of the time so I don't need it I guess. And I guess the female part of your own taste (or just gay taste) is something to do with empowerment. That's definitely a good example, we're so used to it on here I'm sure but gay guys living for female divas is perhaps only a stereotype now because of its unexpectedness yet ubiquity.

I couldn't ever see myself dressing like a scene kid either Lindsey (if those even exist anymore, we're no longer in the mid-00s), that's way too much effort. And yeah, sometimes music taste can be just a difficult topic to generalise at all but I find attempts at it very interesting.

+Quote Post
M.
post Nov 9 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

As soon as I saw the thread title, I was extremely intrigued. You didn't let me down, Iz.

I think I am very open-minded as a person and that also applies to my music tastes, I am open to hearing everything. Of course there are things I hear that I don't particularly like or that leave me cold, but there are so many different things that I do end up liking so as a result my music taste becomes this pot of randomness. There are 'key' points to it though, for example so often I seem to like things that get the tag 'alternative' attached to them: alternative rock, alternative rnb, even 'alternative pop' gets thrown around these days but I'm not even too sure what that means. What would 'alternative alternative' sound like? Hmm. I do like quite a bit of simply pop stuff too. And then I'm partial to a lot of different electronic music.

I don't really know what kind of things people would expect me to like based on who I am. I did ask my cousin once what she would think, and she said Coldplay, which is true. She already knew I liked them anyway though. I'm also really starting to get into 90s dance/rave/breakbeat right now and that seems to have surprised at least one person. Amusing. I'm not really too into the newer dance stuff much though for some reason, a lot of it leaves me cold, but there are gems there too, of course.

Often I like music that makes me have some sort of emotional reaction because I WANNA FEEL lol, but I think I prefer not to listen to things that are too over the top either - I don't scream along to death metal songs called 'Choking on Vaginal Discharge', yes that is a real song! And I don't exactly cry to many power ballads either. But it's good if you gimmie something.

And then other things just sound really good. And other things are just fun to listen to.

To sum it up, my personality is all over the place as is my music taste biggrin.gif Well done if you read the whole essay.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 10 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #11
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Ooh it was rather intriguing to read the OP and subsequent responses, as it's something I haven't really considered in depth before. I don't really know how I'd fit in here because my music taste is a bit all over the place (actually, quite fitting for my personality half the time). Mattias' post above speaks to me a lot.

Hmm, thinking about it I'm an extremely happy/positive person yet if I were to compile a list of my favourite songs, most of those in the top tier would probably be rather downtempo/moody ones. My BJSC entries are generally of the same ilk as well, so I guess the difference between the type of person I am and mood/pace of songs I generally favour could be one.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Nov 11 2015, 03:24 AM
Post #12
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

My music taste is varied too so it's hard for me to say, but I do listen to a lot of country despite not identifying as a beer-drinking, truck-driving hell-raiser that loves to fish. But the songs I prefer are more relatable than that anyway. I used to listen to more mellow rock which I'd say is very much suited to my personality.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 11 2015, 11:12 AM
Post #13
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Nov 9 2015, 05:58 PM) *
Well they're what we see on a macro level, I can't go around interviewing hundreds of people for that so I'm stuck with the stereotypes. They are there for a reason so that if you took a given Scandi you'd expect them to be pretty friendly if introverted. That's a base stereotype we have of them. But they're not tropes you'd associate with metal fans. Yet Scandinavia has the biggest portion of those too. Even allowing for different sections of society there's got to be a significant amount of overlap.

If this was the exception, it wouldn't be worth discussing but it seems to be pretty common and that's unusual to my mind - you would expect someone's music taste to be a mirror for their personality, and there's probably plenty of examples of that, but not the opposite so much, and yet there seem to be just as many examples.

You're not stuck with the stereotype. You just treat each person as an individual.

I'm not criticizing you from bringing the discussion up. I'm just pointing out my opinion on national stereotypes.

I don't expect music taste to be a mirror of personality - not any more. I've been surprised to many times.

This post has been edited by Cauldron: Nov 11 2015, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post
*Callum
post Nov 12 2015, 12:14 AM
Post #14
C A L
Member No.: 20,799

this is v interesting actually.

i'd like to think that my personality is just an amalgamation of contradicting traits, i mean i can be loud, i can be quiet, sometimes i like to be energetic and fun, other times i prefer to be relaxed and calm. this pretty much represents my music taste and it's very eclectic; for example my last five purchase on itunes are:

•The Beatles - 1
•Sharon Needles - Taxidermy
•Ellie Goulding - Delirium
•Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby
•Björk - Vulnicura

biggrin.gif i'd say vulnicura represents my oddities and then taxidermy + cry baby my dark and creative side, 1 my affinity for vintage things and nostalgic interests and then delirium signifies that i am indeed a pop hoe <3

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Nov 15 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think you can associate an entire country with having the "weirdest music taste".

I don't think a singular person has a boring music taste. Everyone has a little quirk.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 02:06 AM