BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The OVERRATED debate~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Nov 9 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Something that i've seen come up a few places across the forum and in general recently is this debate about an artist or song or album being "overrated". So the question is, can something that is hailed by many others ever seem worse off to you for that reason? With recent examples, Adele's meteoric praise has for some people put a dampener on her return and some can't see what the big fuss is about which in turn means they can't enjoy her music. Similarly Fleur's performance on X Factor last night had everyone talking but scattered among the discuss was the "overrated" comment so can something that is technically very strong still be deemed so and does that mean you don't enjoy it as a result?

Does the opinion of other people or critics ever affect your enjoyment of something (for better or for worse)? Can you still really enjoy something and appreciate it as being good even if you still think it's overrated or does it automatically make you hate it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Nov 9 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #2
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I'd like to say no as often other people's thoughts don't affect my opinion, especially when it comes to music but omg that Adele song, I haven't even heard all of it and already I'm sick of it because it's all anyone has been talking about. I get the hype if your an Adele fan, it's pretty much the same case when anybody releases new music, the usual response is for the fans to go crazy over it, but as someone who isn't a fan of Adele, I don't see what all the fuss is about, her music is very samey and dull to me (sorry I don't mean to bad mouth her here) but my point is that the song is nothing new when it comes to Adele's discography and from what I've heard of it, it sounds like that Lionel Richie song laugh.gif

But yea, if I feel like something is over-hyped, it does put me off listening to it but that doesn't affect my feelings on the actual song when i do hear it, like with Uptown Funk, I was so sick of everyone talking about it but then I listened to it and I could admit it was good and did deserve all the attention it was getting, but then there's the other side where it gets overplayed and you're back to being sick of it again :')

This post has been edited by Lindsey ♌: Nov 9 2015, 06:53 PM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 9 2015, 06:56 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

I agree that Adele seems to be very overrated here. I've never seen so many personal charts have her latest song at #1 laugh.gif I'm not denying that she has a great voice and she is certainly talented though!

Whether or not something is "overrated" doesn't decide my love or hate or whatever with an artist or song, and the same goes for artists/songs that the majority of the forum turn their nose up at tongue.gif

This post has been edited by The 5TH of ADAM.: Nov 9 2015, 06:56 PM

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 9 2015, 07:03 PM
Post #4
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Yes, the opinion of other people can affect my opinion of a song both positively and negatively.

Positively, if I see someone post a glowing review of a song, make absolutely clear why they like it, don't go overboard with it, I may listen to it, see the same things they see, and then that unlocks the song's potential for me. It's why I love reading End of Year countdowns and other countdowns as they're the perfect environment for things like that.

Negatively, and into the 'overrated' topic, that's more to do with the crowd function, I don't really want to be seen with the crowd, and if I can justify doing so, I will subconsciously as well as consciously take steps to go the other way. If nothing else it's more interesting for discussion.

Now I have to have originally liked or not liked the song at least a little bit for it to swing this way, but a number of people hating a song will cause a song I kinda like to move into 'love' territory (e.g. Watch Me and American Beauty/American Psycho), while a number of people loving a song so much will have me listening, trying to find what they like, and not liking it. That doesn't apply to 'Hello', I was all ready to hate that, especially when I knew everyone was preparing to love it, but it was very good, so I didn't. My overrated targets tend to have reasons for why I wouldn't like it, like 'commercial' or 'watered-down' or 'crowd-pleasing' that sound super hipster but if I only thought a song was average at first and the only comments I see are overwhemingly positive, it grates on me as I wonder why I'm not getting what they're getting, and then I feel the need to balance it out, say 'hey, not everyone loves this', and then I start disliking the song more because of it and it turns into a downward spiral.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Nov 9 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #5
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

Well, 'Hello' is a decent song at best. Her vocals continue to be great, but... it being hailed as the song of the year is a big NO.

I run away from things that are being force fed to me, and let's just say Adele has taught me 'musical bulimia' is a great way to describe your feelings towards a highly publicized artist.

This post has been edited by toxic_air: Nov 9 2015, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Nov 9 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Iz, off topic but can I just say the way you articulate and express your views is gold.

I don't necessarily judge the term "overrated" and do use it sometimes, but I don't find myself using it that much. If everyone loves a song and you don't, and you don't get why everyone loves it, it doesn't necessarily mean there's something "wrong" with the song or anything (that they're not seeing and you are), it's just not for you. However, if a song or performance has something technically very wrong with it, and people still rave about it, well that may be another story depending on what way you look at it, but it's possible to completely enjoy even a performance that has gone horribly wrong.

Other peoples' opinions probably don't influence my thoughts on music too much, but at times I am inclined to want to listen to something that other people are talking about and that they like, that's just natural to me. I'm sure it's also natural to sometimes want to start with the album that has garnered the most attention or praise, when you're checking out a new artist.

I love Adele's personality from what I've seen, and enjoy some of her songs, but was never a huge fan or anything. I do like 'Hello' a lot.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 9 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #7
Henrietta R Hippo
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(Matt O @ Nov 9 2015, 08:09 PM) *
I don't necessarily judge the term "overrated" and do use it sometimes, but I don't find myself using it that much. If everyone loves a song and you don't, and you don't get why everyone loves it, it doesn't necessarily mean there's something "wrong" with the song or anything (that they're not seeing and you are), it's just not for you. However, if a song or performance has something technically very wrong with it, and people still rave about it, well that may be another story depending on what way you look at it, but it's possible to completely enjoy even a performance that has gone horribly wrong.

I think this is such a good point! I've never really thought about it like that but it certainly is a good way of looking at things. I generally agree with most of what you have said away from this too in terms of never really finding artists overrated and anyway I spend most of my time mourning how underrated or unsuccessful artists/albums need to be doing better rather than wishing the reverse for popular artists, lol tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 9 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #8
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

every time pavel feels the need to distinguish himself from everyone else by sneering that something isn't that great i yearn to burn the world to the ground and salt the remaining earth

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 10 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #9
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Regina winning 'most overrated poster' or whatever it was sums up my confusion on the matter.

Seriously though, I will always judge something on its own merit regardless of exposure - there are things that can be shoved in your face that I can still appreciate hugely (Adele is a prime example, everyone hailing her hasn't put me off at all). Things that are inescapable that I dislike (e.g. MINIONS.) I would've had a negative approach to anyway. Having said that I do use the term 'overrated' but that would be for something like the minions example that I just don't get, and would have formed an opinion on beforehand. I think this is coming out how I want to, basically hyperbole/looning for something would not put me off it I don't think, it would be annoying but I tend to usually stand by my opinions. I'm the same as Iz really, maybe I could be swayed by someone pointing out something I missed the first time round that is strong enough to change an opinion.

Overplaying can taint my view of things due to the stagnant feel, but I see no problem for mass-adoration for something of high quality when it's still fresh.

This post has been edited by Jade: Nov 10 2015, 10:40 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 10 2015, 10:54 PM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

It doesn't affect me liking things usually but it does make me dislike things more laugh.gif With films there are so many examples.... When people hail it as the best thing ever and I watch it and it ends up being average.

+Quote Post
jjake
post Nov 11 2015, 01:43 AM
Post #11
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

'overrated' is such an interesting use of terminology because i think its a word that has become primarily used in regards online as a counter to the general consensus. 100% of the world doesn't like any one act and that very much goes for adele. online people really feel the need to assert a strong sometimes blasé identity and that's by being as counter-culture as possible.

though also for example i don't really like any one kylie song, its going against the grain when put in the context of sexuality, social group, age etc but that isn't based on it being thrown in my face. the more i think about it the more complicated a thing it is. it depends on where you are, who you are speaking to and what you what to project and why ultimately.

music, at the end of the day...it's all relative isn't it?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 09:06 AM