BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Views on Social Media?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Christmas Cherry...
post Nov 10 2015, 07:14 PM
Post #1
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Obviously we all use it, but what do you guys actually think about it?

Do you think there are general positives/negatives about social media?

Or do you think problems come from particular social media, such as extremist views coming across on Twitter, or people writing long statuses about their life on Facebook which are just too in depth.

Which social media outlets are your favourites? biggrin.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 10 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #2
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

definitely have a bit of a hatred towards it. i think it does more bad than good and I'm not a big fan of people who overshare. the only social network I now have is Instagram and even that's private so that I can control who sees my shit. Facebook is absolute worst and I still don't understand why people use it. it's the equivalent of looking in the fridge when you're kinda hungry but realising there's nothing actually in there.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Nov 10 2015, 07:19 PM
Post #3
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

my favourite social media outlet is BuzzJack magic.gif

Out of Favebook and Twitter I prefer Facebook though, although I don't really use it to write statuses anymore I just look at the pages I follow

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 10 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Your attitude to social media will depend on whether you enjoy it or not. If you don't take it too seriously, focus on the people you care about and don't abuse it, you'll get along just fine. But if you overshare and then act surprised and insulted when everyone's gossiping about you, if you're vulnerable and take everything to heart, if you say nasty things and be upset when everyone hates you etc., that's when you're going to get the negative aspects. Basically, if you're someone who is easily offended or put yourself in the mindset to be offended, get off the internet. I've no time for people who moan about how 'badly' social media as affected them.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Nov 10 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I like the idea of social media because obviously it gives you an opportunity to share all sorts of things quickly and conveniently with pretty much anyone you want but I don't actually share that much. I like when I discover something interesting on it but obviously you get tons and tons of crap too. I also like how it brings musicians closer to their fans.

This post has been edited by Matt O: Nov 10 2015, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 10 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #6
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I really dislike all social media, the celebration of narcissm at its worst and I'm glad that I never had to grow up in that pressured environment.

I was in Salisbury yesterday evening and two people were sitting eating dinner, afterwards instead of talking they both stared at their phones and checked for updates. This went on for some time in silence. I despair.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Nov 10 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #7
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

I don't mind social media, but then I don't really use it as much as others. Like, with my Facebook I really just post links to videos or the odd status about the football. I rarely post pictures on there, and even my Instagram only has about 20 pictures! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
burbe
post Nov 10 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #8
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 10 2015, 08:39 PM) *
I really dislike all social media, the celebration of narcissm at its worst and I'm glad that I never had to grow up in that pressured environment.

I was in Salisbury yesterday evening and two people were sitting eating dinner, afterwards instead of talking they both stared at their phones and checked for updates. This went on for some time in silence. I despair.

I HATE when people spend their time on their phone during a meal. Me and my friends have started doing this thing where we all places our phones in the middle and whoever reaches for their phone before the end of the meal has to pay for everyone's bill. As you can imagine, it works a treat! laugh.gif There's no better incentive than money.

My favourite is Twitter, I spend far too much time on there browsing and tweet fairly often. Not a big fan of Facebook anymore, I only still visit it to remain in the loop. I haven't posted a status in a long time.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 10 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #9
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 10 2015, 07:39 PM) *

Ive been on a first date where the guy has got his phone out to snapchat. even when I gave him the snideeyes and explained why he didn't see the problem. safe to say we didn't had a second date.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Nov 10 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #10
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

There's positives and negatives to it, It's a great way to keep in touch and communicate with people and it sure helps to pass the time but sometimes I think it's just too much, especially when it comes to people trying to cause arguments or drama or turn things into massive issues when they really aren't that big of a deal, Tumblr is particularly bad for that last one as you get so many people trying to educate the masses but they end up just posting their views in a really intense/negative way and alienating anyone who doesn't agree with them, on the other side I've learned a lot from just scrolling down my dashboard on there, especially regarding personal identity etc which is great happy.gif

I don't really use social media that often, well except Facebook messenger. As someone who tweeted constantly a couple of years ago, I only really go on twitter to reply to mentions or see if there's any updates from bands that I follow and Tumblr, I will still go on now and again just out of habit or boredom but I'm not as invested in it as I was a earlier in the year, I still sometimes do go to it for research purposes as there are some great images on there, I've discovered a lot of visual artists via Tumblr, so it is probably my favourite if I had to choose one tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 10 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #11
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Nov 10 2015, 08:17 PM) *
definitely have a bit of a hatred towards it. i think it does more bad than good and I'm not a big fan of people who overshare. the only social network I now have is Instagram and even that's private so that I can control who sees my shit. Facebook is absolute worst and I still don't understand why people use it. it's the equivalent of looking in the fridge when you're kinda hungry but realising there's nothing actually in there.

i wanted to post zola on your wall the other day but i couldn't so i had to post it on 152's

selfish.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 10 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #12
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

Zola 💕

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Nov 10 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #13
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 10 2015, 07:39 PM) *

I'd say this pretty much sums it up for me. With a sprinkling of not being a fan of oversharing/sharing stuff with people I don't know. The only social media sites I use really are Facebook (mainly for Messenger and games, I rarely ever post on it) and here if we're counting that.

I had a very similar experience recently with a couple who spoke to each other all of twice in an hour during a meal, instead spending the entire time on their phones. Bizarre. I mean I check in fairly frequently and do actively make time to come on here, but I wouldn't do it when I'm out being social.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 10 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #14
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I have a Facebook and Twitter account and keep using them simply to keep up with my friends, and mainly in twitter's case to check the latest updates and promote my writing (shameless plug), plus for things like LinkedIn if that counts it's very important for actual career progression and marketing yourself, so I think it's undeniably a good thing in that respect.

That said, I definitely don't live my life accustomed to social media and make it operate my lifestyle. I've not posted a status/tweet in so long though (I post my news on here first if anything!) and I don't feel the need to post pictures of everywhere I go to prove I'm having a good time. Social media's fine, but I think everyone should have a clear distinction between time in the online world and time in the real world, and they often intertwine far too much. I don't like using my phone when I'm with people/being social, and I don't really like it when other people do it, kinda makes me feel a bit neglected.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Nov 10 2015, 09:02 PM

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 10 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #15
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I personally really like social media. It can be an effective way to keep up to speed with everyone and the messaging functions can be useful too. Also, Twitter for example can be a good source for entertainment/breaking news. It's when people take it *too* seriously that it becomes an issue. The aforementioned substituting verbal communication for going on your mobile when out for a meal for example. Also that big news story recently where that girl 'quit' social media because it was taking over her life, 'candid' shots actually being posed just to impress her huge following and whatnot.

A few years ago I fell into this trap a bit, constantly tweeting for instance and becoming a bit too into how many followers I was getting (I guess to fill a bit of a social void at the time/low self esteem) though nowadays it's just a bit of fun. I probably am still guilty of spending a bit too much time on social media sites, though I guess that goes for the internet in general. But yeah, I don't really have a problem with it as it's a good way to pass the time/keep in contact with people and is currently being hammered as a vital tool for my journalism course, though a bit of a restriction at times is good.

+Quote Post
bigwiglaf
post Nov 10 2015, 09:40 PM
Post #16
pop goes the world...
Member No.: 1,426
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 10 2015, 02:39 PM) *

I agree with this, too...I really don't see the point of having any like Faceplant, er, Facebook or Twatter, er, Twitter...that said, I do have a Linked In account, but I surely am not obsessing over it, and maybe check it once a week, if that...and I'm glad I don't own a smartphone, as it's one less target for hackers/thieves...

+Quote Post
152chris
post Nov 10 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #17
down with jakewild
Member No.: 10,105
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Nov 10 2015, 08:25 PM) *
i wanted to post zola on your wall the other day but i couldn't so i had to post it on 152's

selfish.

I SEE

sloppy seconds

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Nov 10 2015, 10:46 PM
Post #18
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Social media is essentially what you make it, it only rules or ruins your life if you let it.

I'd probably say I'm an average Facebook user, seldom Instagram user and a Twitter addict of many years but I keep them all at a point where I can enjoy them.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Nov 11 2015, 04:02 AM
Post #19
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

I really enjoy the few sites that I use, although Facebook's the only one for which I have an account. I keep mine very limited to less than 100 friends (so if you've found me and I haven't accepted, that's why, sorry!) which makes me comfortable enough to post stuff and keeps me from seeing the kinds of posts that make me despair for humanity. To be completely honest, I'm a fairly lonely person and feel like people would forget about me entirely if I stopped sharing things on Facebook every so often, which is kinda sad but overall it's fine as long as people take a healthy approach to it.

That said, I hate the term 'social media'. Probably just my own pet peeve but I've always found it too 'professional' for what it's trying to describe. I just say "the internet" or "online" and usually it's easy enough to know which sites I'm referring to.

My favorite these days is definitely Instagram, but it seems you need a smartphone or tablet to make an account so I don't actually have one. The other downside is that it's so easy to compare your life to others' when they post photos and make their life out to be amazing and perfect. You wonder how people find the time and money to travel so much...

Special mention to Tumblr for food gifs *.*

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 11 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #20
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

My views on this have changed over the years. I loved Facebook at first as I got it Summer 2007 and went to uni shortly after. It was an amazing tool to keep up with my friends from home that I knew I would miss badly.

But these days I can't be arsed. I like to read what people have been up to, especially those I don't see on a regular basis but still care a lot about. But it's misused so badly. It can be extremely narcissistic to the point that young people use the number of likes they get on a photo as proof of superiority in an argument. And you just know the chain posts of 'I know most of you won't repost but please do if you care about cancer' mean that the person who posted it actually cares more what you think about them than actual cancer. The amount of situations I've had to mediate at work because of blow ups on social media is also tiring but not surprising as this is what life is like for teenagers nowadays. Poor things don't know any different. It doesn't help either that their parents often end up in feuds on Facebook.

The fact that sexting has become a thing is also really scary. Very young kids are participating because everyone does it. When I was 13 the idea of showing a picture of my penis to a girl would be alien and weird. But a lot of poor kids out there are doing it because they think it's normal.

Also I feel with all the smart phone technology, there's no longer a filter for young people who do not know how to use the technology properly. Kids can pretty much do anything online whenever they choose. They don't have to wait for the dial up to connect or have an hour limit because there's no wireless and 5 people on the house would like to use the Internet. There's little parental control and if not careful, some children can make their own lives very difficult because of how much control is left to them.

I think social media has its place but way too much importance is placed upon it and in the last 5 years I've just seen way too many issues arise because of it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 08:49 PM