BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kylie and Olivia Newton John - career trajectory
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HerbieHollywood
post Nov 11 2015, 08:04 PM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,436
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not old enough to have followed ONJ when she was a current music star but I can't help seeing some similarities between her and Kylie and the way their careers panned out. Aside from being beautiful Aussie ladies who are also actresses I mean:

Both had long chart careers with a peak coming in the second half timeline wise (CGYOOMH and Physical)
Both started out wholesome and then went dead sexy
As chart success began to wane both took the sexiness too far and alienated some fans (Sexercise and Soul Kiss)
Both then went down the covers/Chrismassy route - wholesome again (Kylie Christmas and basically every ONJ release since the late 80s)

ONJ seems so lovely in interviews (like Kylie) and also sugar sweet that it makes it hard for me to think she's the same woman who once vamped it up. I wonder will Kylie now continue down this route or will she go more like Madonna who tries to stay edgy and youthful? I kinda hope she does something in between. I don't want her to do Sexercise again but I'd hate for her to spend the rest of her career doings covers/Xmas/kids albums or whatever. I'm a bit worried she will!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Regina
post Nov 11 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

I wouldn't say Kylie went too far with Sexercise, there was only a small amount of people who were too prudish to accept that a woman in her 40's could still be
sexy.

+Quote Post
HerbieHollywood
post Nov 12 2015, 10:37 AM
Post #3
New Entry
Member No.: 12,436
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Nov 11 2015, 08:09 PM) *
I wouldn't say Kylie went too far with Sexercise, there was only a small amount of people who were too prudish to accept that a woman in her 40's could still be
sexy.

Some people might've thought this but a lot of others like me didn't object to her being in her 40s - the problem was simply that Sexercise wasn't sexy at all, it was just a bit desperate with its overt sex messages and shock value. ONJs Soul Kiss seems similar in that it was a mediocre song with an overtly sexual lyrics and video that was a flop too. Olivia's chart career never recovered.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Nov 12 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #4
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Sexercise was pretty sexy, to me anyway. She's had much sexier songs and videos in the past.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 05:53 AM