BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sandi Thom & rejection in the music industry, I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (with Radio 2 airplay)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klampus
post Nov 12 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #1
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Obviously, we've seen a lot of media attention over the past few years when radios drop artists from their playlists, particularly when Radio 1 allowed a look into their playlist meetings but today has seen a very personal response from Sandi Thom after finding out Radio 2 were not going to playlist her latest single.

While having a Greatest Hits may suggest otherwise, Sandi only really had one hit with that song despite releasing four albums since then. She's obviously faced A LOT of rejection since then which makes the response a lot more meaningful.

QUOTE(Digital Spy)
"I just heard that 'Earthquake' didn't make the Radio 2 playlist," Sandi stated in the clip. "I wanted to make this video so people realise how much it hurts, because I apparently can do no right.

"I wrote a song that is pop and catchy and fits their format and there is no reason why they shouldn't play my music, and I swear to God they have no idea how much it actually hurts when it's been years and years trying to gain some kind of respect from these people.

"This is literally the last thing," she continued."I am done with this industry. I am f**king sick and tired of having to sit on the edge of my seat waiting for these people to come back and tell me their verdict of whether this song is going to be a success. Basically without their support, it can't be a success."

The 34-year-old singer added that the Bauer radio group also turned down "any interviews and playlists" too.

"That is basically 22 million people across the country who will not get to hear this song," she sobbed.

"Honest to God, I'm f**king sick to death of the bullshit this industry pulls on people like me and I've had it. Enough I'm done. F**k, you Radio 2. F**k you, Bauer network and f**k the lot of you.

"It is utter shit. It's a f**king good song, OK? There is no reason why you need to do this to me once again.

"That is it. I'm done. I have better things to do with my life and time and this is utter bullshit. See you later, Radio 2. Go shove it up your arse, because I really don't care anymore."

The song in question is actually quite rubbish but I think this whole situation takes another interesting look at the whole radio playlist debate and rejection in the music industry as a whole. I wasn't actually aware she had released so many albums but it must be very hard having to deal with the rejection every time, especially when you have had that success. It's been nearly 10 years since that success so what should artists do when they're in that position but still want to make music.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Nov 12 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #2
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

I remember Pink saying she wanted to punch her. She needs get the f*** over herself, make good music babe and then u can complain when it flops on its ass.

+Quote Post
April
post Nov 12 2015, 04:54 PM
Post #3
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

She makes a good point. Her song might not be great, but it's tragic for certain artists how radio dictates what can/can't become a hit.

QUOTE(toby @ Nov 12 2015, 05:53 PM) *
make good music babe and then u can complain when it flops on its ass.

Tell that to Dena too wink.gif

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Nov 12 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #4
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Has this bitch had 5 top 49 hits?

(also hi bae x)

This post has been edited by toby: Nov 12 2015, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Nov 12 2015, 05:31 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

So she made a deliberately shit commercial track hoping for fame.

May as well have just collabrd with a DJ.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Nov 12 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #6
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Well I for one had no idea she still existed. I can understand her frustration but music is a tough business and Radio 2 can't playlist everything, especially when it comes to one hit wonders from 10 years ago they certainly have priorities over those. Tough luck I guess.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 12 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

It is a bit shit that radio can just decide what's a hit and what isn't, so she vaguely has a point, but having a tantrum over it certainly isn't the right way to go! There are thousands and thousands of songs released each year that don't get support and thus don't become hits, whilst it must be frustrating for her I don't see any reason why she's any better than the others who get ignored. The biggest radio stations like radio 2 simply can't support every song, that's the sad truth for so many artists!

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Nov 12 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

"because I really don't care anymore"

Yeah of course you don't...........

This video made me laugh so much, she's crying because Radio 2 wont play her song? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 12 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #9
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

You'd probably have the same reaction if you tasted national fame and then had years and years of failed attempts at breaking out again.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 12 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #10
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

That video makes me have no sympathy for her at all, not withstanding that it's been almost a decade since she's been relevant enough for radios to consider her and she's been absent from the mainstream since so I'm not sure why this comes as a surprise that no one cares in 2015, especially as her sales figures since then have been on a terminal decline.

She at least got into the industry - she had one very big selling hit song and hit album and released albums right up to 2012 if her wiki page is to be believed. That's a lot more than the hundreds of unsigned artists trying to break into the industry that never get that break and are ignored by the radios.

I don't believe the radios are even to blame here, they have limited spots for their playlist and have to push those they truly believe can be hits . They can't playlist every single song in existence so people are gonna be left out to dry, it's the nature of the industry, Sandi probably should've realised that when she first went into it. It's tough, I accept that, but I think she's done better for herself than many others in her position.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Nov 12 2015, 06:20 PM

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Nov 12 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #11
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

I really want Radio 2 to playlist it next week just to get her to eat her own words laugh.gif

Maybe the rant is part of a 'left-of-field' promo campaign ohmy.gif I never would've heard the song if it hadn't been for that video!

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Nov 12 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #12
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

QUOTE(toby @ Nov 12 2015, 05:02 PM) *
Has this bitch had 5 top 49 hits?

(also hi bae x)

Is it not 6 now due to Girls Like Drake?

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 12 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #13
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Part of me thought that this was a PR stunt to get more attention to her album than a few spot plays on Radio 2 would ever give her, and if that's the case, then it's definitely worked (although Sandi has said on Twitter that the video was a result of being 6 months pregnant and being genuinely gutted at being turned down rather than any grand plan).

It's very hard to get played on radio, and it must be very hard psychologically when you've had a #1 single in the past and been used to getting radio play easily and then very quickly finding these avenues shut off to you, and it's good that this video is provoking debate as to how the playlist system is operated across major radio stations. Having said that, no-one's has a God-given right to get playlisted, and most pop-stars do not have a mainstream shelf life beyond a few years.

There's an interesting article about the incident here, which is worth reading.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 12 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #14
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Klumzee @ Nov 12 2015, 07:28 PM) *
I really want Radio 2 to playlist it next week just to get her to eat her own words laugh.gif

...and therefore give her exactly what she wants?

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Nov 12 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #15
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

The song in question is actually quite rubbish

laugh.gif

It does sound she churned out commercial radio fodder just for a hit, like Screech though so...

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Nov 12 2015, 06:53 PM
Post #16
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Nov 12 2015, 06:39 PM) *
...and therefore give her exactly what she wants?

Nah more like 'omg so so sorry guyz i love what you do please keep luving me i need u xoxox' kinda tings

#Sandi4Christmas#1

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Nov 13 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

Rejection is sometimes part of life and at the age of 34 she should be old enough to realise that and try to move on.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Nov 13 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

She wants to wash her mouth out with soap and water. Filthy-mouthed woman.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 13 2015, 09:45 AM
Post #19
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

omg people using the f-word publicly. GOD FUCKING FORBID

+Quote Post
richie
post Nov 13 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #20
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

She really should be thankful that she's from Aberdeenshire. If you're from Scotland and you become famous then you're famous forever. If you're from a small part of Scotland and you become famous, you're practically royalty locally. It's not going to get her a mansion but it'll help her pay the bills.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 03:42 AM