BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Caitlyn Jenner and "Woman of the Year"
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post Nov 18 2015, 12:19 AM
Post #1
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Caitlyn Jenner, the former Olympian who earlier this year publicly announced that she was transgender (need I mention THAT Vanity Fair cover), was recently awarded Glamour magazine's "Woman of The Year". There's been a lot of subsequent backlash from (among others) Rose McGowan, a group of protesters shouting that she was "an insult to women" and the husband of a former recipient of the award. The backlash has mainly centred on a part of her speech where she said the "hardest part about being a woman is deciding what to wear" in adition to claims that she has lead a life of "male privilege" and therefore doesn't deserve to be called "Woman" of the year.

In the wake of Germaine Greer-gate, the topic of transgender people has come up increasingly in the news and it tends to be something that people have a strong opinion on. So, dear buzzjacker, what are your thoughts on this news storyline? Does Caitlyn deserve a "Woman of The Year" award? Is her high media visibility a good or bad thing for the Women's/LGBT equality movement? Is the backlash justified or would a cisgender person who made the same comments have received the same criticism?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 18 2015, 12:46 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Does it really make that much of a difference to people's lives as to who is called "Woman of the Year" by a magazine? laugh.gif

That comment of "hardest part about being a woman is deciding what to wear" sounds like it was meant to be a joke that's flown over the heads of people who are set out to be offended by everything. I mean, there's no denying that she's done a lot for the transgender 'community' (for want for a better word because I don't particularly like that word), both with her own work and just being in the spotlight which automatically encourages the public to consider their thoughts on the matter, so I don't see why anyone would find her an unworthy (certainly not surprising) winner. I mean, it does get a bit tiresome seeing her being in the news for just wearing a dress or something and there's far too much 'scandal' and 'gossip' being stirred up by her family, but I suppose that's the media and the Kardashians for you.

+Quote Post
(Zach)
post Nov 18 2015, 03:15 AM
Post #3
AKA LoveKiller
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,512

I usually keep my opinions out of these sorts of things but I don't think she should be Woman of the Year for entirely different reasons. I mean, what has she really done? I'm certain there are millions of more deserving women out there who have either been through more or have done more for others.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Nov 18 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #4
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

These sort of titles are always faintly ridiculous, but I think this is entirely appropriate. I dislike the whole Kardashian 'thing' and find them to be quite awful people in general, but Caitlyn is actually doing some good with this. Yes it's public and self serving and she's raking it in as a result of it, but at the end of the day it IS doing good. I think anything that gets people talking about this in a public way can only be good. Ignorance will always flourish, but it's harder when a great big spotlight is shone on it by the media.

+Quote Post
Aaron.
post Nov 18 2015, 12:22 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,245
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qween @ Nov 18 2015, 08:48 AM) *
These sort of titles are always faintly ridiculous, but I think this is entirely appropriate. I dislike the whole Kardashian 'thing' and find them to be quite awful people in general, but Caitlyn is actually doing some good with this. Yes it's public and self serving and she's raking it in as a result of it, but at the end of the day it IS doing good. I think anything that gets people talking about this in a public way can only be good. Ignorance will always flourish, but it's harder when a great big spotlight is shone on it by the media.

This.
And if I hear one more time about her "not being a woman for an entire year" I may stab someone. Nobody would dare sing that tune if Adele got a "Single of the Year" for a song that would have only been out for 4 months.

If she can benefit even one person - she's doing good. Woman of the Year, maybe not. But what she is doing is good, self serving, but good.

This post has been edited by Aaron.: Nov 18 2015, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Nov 18 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

I read Rose McGowan's letter and it all just seemed like thinly veiled transphobia. Like, it literally reads like someone who's always had a "thing" against transgender people finally lashing out and dressing it up in feminism. "We are more than the stereotypes foisted upon us by people like you." I'm sorry but whenever I see the phrase "people like you" used against a marginalized group, it's uttered 99% of the time by bottom-of-the-barrel, Trump-esque human scum, so.

I'm not gonna comment on the particulars of how Caitlyn's experience differs from the experience of cis women because that's probably the thing I'm least qualified to comment on, but the backlash against her comes from a very...iffy place.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 18 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #7
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

don't really agree with that guy giving his wife's award back, I know it was posthumous but it was hardly his to give back tbh

not really agreeing with the transphobia people are saying is coming from him either. he has no problem with laverne cox getting the award

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 18 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #8
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 18 2015, 01:47 PM
Post #9
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

No matter who gets the award there's pretty much always going to be someone "better". I don't necessarily think Caitlyn is woman of the year, but if I see one more person saying "he's a man he doesn't deserve it!!!1!1!" I will go insane! It's 2015, being a woman has come to mean different things than it once did. That includes transgender women, they are still women. They might not have been women their whole lives on the outsides, but chances are on the inside they were, they've just had to fight a struggle for so many years to become who they really are. I don't think a lot of it is transphobic though, I think it's more about Caitlyn herself, as in the fact she does seem quite self serving compared to Laverne Cox for example. As for the "what to wear thing", on the surface that seems such a stupid thing to say but I agree it was most probably a joke that bombed and went down the wrong way.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 18 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

Caitlyn is inspirational, but she's still pretty much against gay marriage which I find baffling - I don't think she should be woman of the year.

Ellen will agree

She's still a very conservative person who i believe holds some old fashioned regressive opinions.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Nov 18 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #11
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

QUOTE(Joe. @ Nov 18 2015, 02:48 PM) *
Caitlyn is inspirational, but she's still pretty much against gay marriage which I find baffling - I don't think she should be woman of the year.

Ellen will agree

She's still a very conservative person who i believe holds some old fashioned regressive opinions.

I agree with you, but why do you find it so baffling shes against gay marriage?

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 18 2015, 03:23 PM
Post #12
ya ya ya i am lorde

because she's the t in the lgbtq, duh. each letter has the same goals in general and belongs to the same community

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 18 2015, 03:25 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(SeanGrey @ Nov 18 2015, 03:20 PM) *
I agree with you, but why do you find it so baffling shes against gay marriage?

What Pav said, the gay community have supported her HUGELY over the bravery and transformation, so for her to seldom still be turning her nose up at equal marriage is very odd and a bit sad.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 18 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #14
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

also for someone who has struggled to be herself for so long you'd think she'd be able to relate to the rest of the lgbt and their struggles in equality. as soon as she did that Ellen interview I stopped caring for her tbh.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 18 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Nov 18 2015, 03:39 PM) *
also for someone who has struggled to be herself for so long you'd think she'd be able to relate to the rest of the lgbt and their struggles in equality. as soon as she did that Ellen interview I stopped caring for her tbh.

It was the exact same for me. I had so much respect for her until that interview, which I admit wasn't THAT bad. But I felt she wasn't seeing the mas hypocrisy in what she was saying.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Nov 18 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #16
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think it's preposterous she should be named woman of the year despite buying her way out of a criminal conviction for speeding on a highway and causing a fatality. Otherwise, I have no issue.

(Aside from her beliefs too)

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 18 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #17
ya ya ya i am lorde

omg I didn't even know about that. Now that part in one of the episodes of South Park this season makes perfect sense :')

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 18 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/11/18/caitl...aign=PNFacebook

I just came across this too. She still wants to vote republican 'despite their anti trans views' in my opinion she's a mess. She wouldn't have even been able to have had her transition without the support of 'the other side'

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Nov 18 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #19
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I don't think she should be woman of the year because she's a self serving, publicity hungry, raging c**t. However, I have no problems with this award going to someone who wasn't born female. Just because you weren't born a woman, doesn't make you any less of a woman and thus any less deserving of the title "woman of the year"

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Nov 18 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

I'm just going to post the list of people who have won "Woman of the Year" from this magazine. Christina Aguilera, Rachel Stevens, Victoria Beckham, Kylie Minogue, Cheryl Cole, Selena Gomez and Lady Gaga. With Victoria Beckham also winning their Woman of the Decade award. So yeah it just seems to be a relevant celebrity woman from each year. (Also Victoria Beckham is their woman of the decade)

Also oddly, despite giving various awards to women every year, they only seem to award Woman of the Year every other year, they do award Man of the Year every year though. I thought this would be the main issue people have with these awards.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 06:09 AM