BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Facebook French flag profile pictures, What do you think?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Slade
post Nov 18 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Following last week's Paris attacks, Facebook has allowed users to have an overlay of the French flag over their profile pictures to show support.

I've actually seen a bit of debate about this on my timeline. While quite a lot of my Facebook friends have changed their profile pictures temporarily, some have argued against it. A couple of reasons cropping up are the fact that France isn't the only place in the world as of late to have been affected by attacks (just the one getting the most coverage) or that they don't need to change their profile picture to this to show support. One angry friend even said it's 'self-indulgent to have an image of a group of posing friends and then adding the flag on top for 5 mins so you pretend to care'.

So, Facebook users - have you added the French flag overlay to your profile picture? If yes/no then how come? Or do you just boycott Facebook entirely but still have an opinion on this... Interested to hear what people think.

(I personally have. The option came up and I thought why not, it was a nice way to show support for the victims without posting a status.)

(Edit: oh this was a poll, not sure what happened there... oh well. Still discuss away~)

This post has been edited by Jade: Nov 18 2015, 05:11 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Nov 18 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 18 2015, 05:05 PM) *
(I personally have. The option came up and I thought why not, it was a nice way to show support for the victims without posting a status.)

To be honest this pretty much summed up why I did it, as I wanted to show my support in some way but couldn't quite find the words to write a status.

I do see where people are coming from with the point about attacks in other countries, however from my experience the people arguing against the flags in this way have just come across as belittling the French attacks completely, making them seem insignificant, which to me seems stupid. It's entirely possible to devote thoughts to all the countries who have been attacked as of late.

I have also seen a different side to a few people on Facebook (who I have now unfriended) due to the social media's response to the Paris attacks. People refusing to put overlays on as it's "the fault of the French as they let refugees in" (luckily I have only seen this kind of attitude a couple of times) wacko.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 18 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 18 2015, 05:05 PM) *
A couple of reasons cropping up are the fact that France isn't the only place in the world as of late to have been affected by attacks (just the one getting the most coverage) or that they don't need to change their profile picture to this to show support.

This.

And 'no' to answer the question. I mourn them in my own way tbh.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 18 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I don't particularly mind them as I can see that, most of the time, it's a nice way to show respect without being preachy or political etc. However, I personally haven't done this because I'm a pretty private person, I pay respects privately and don't feel I need to change my profile picture to show respect. Just on the whole, I personally don't like oversharing like that on social media and too much of the time I see it being done and it feels like it's a game of who can be the most respectful - I can understand where your friend is coming from Jade because some people will change their pp because they want to show how great a person they are and can then be faux-outraged when other people don't change their pp. It's kind of like the wearing poppies debate.

I hate the argument about France not being the only country getting attacks, as if that is meant to make what happened in France "not so bad" or is 'unworthy' of being talked about. It's not like the people saying that post their respects for every single travesty that happens in the world. Again, it's the whole idea of faux-outrage.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Nov 18 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #5
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I agree that I've done it to share my respect for them. If Facebook gave me the opportunity to show the same respect for other countries, I would do the same. It's not my fault that they haven't done that before and it's not going to stop me showing respect for the Paris victims.

+Quote Post
152chris
post Nov 18 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #6
down with jakewild
Member No.: 10,105
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Nov 18 2015, 05:22 PM) *
I hate the argument about France not being the only country getting attacks, as if that is meant to make what happened in France "not so bad" or is 'unworthy' of being talked about. It's not like the people saying that post their respects for every single travesty that happens in the world. Again, it's the whole idea of faux-outrage.

sure, but it def adds to the idea that they only people worth mourning are white westerners.

i'm w jade's friend. it's just so meaningless that i don't see the point.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 18 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #7
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I haven't changed my profile picture either, not sure why but I didn't really feel the need to. I've shown my respect in my own ways and have encouraged others to do so in school too (which was very difficult given they're 7 years old!).

My main qualm is with people that are berating people for showing respect in this way. Yes there are other atrocities around the world but these same people didn't mention these until the France incident and so haven't shown respect to those OR the French sufferers. But even writing this out seems so pointless. We're showing respect to humans.. not French humans or Syrian humans but humanity as a whole. If the French flag pictures forward that mentality by even the tiniest of amounts then I'm in full support of them.

Chris no one is saying "these people are white and Western let me mourn them" they are FEELING "this has really hit home and I need to show respect". We don't need to trivialise that mark of respect they have shown.

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Nov 18 2015, 05:42 PM
Post #8
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

Personally, I'm at a loss as to why there's been this level of debate around these profile pictures. People shaming others for not changing to the flag and therefore not demonstrating that they care, others counter-shaming them for 'jumping on the Facebook bandwagon' or only showing support for the French attacks and ignoring other terrorist atrocities... I feel like it comes down to many people simply liking to complain and make some sort of profound point on social media with a complete lack of acceptance of marginally different views and reactions. A lot of people need to learn to live and let live with these things and focus their energies on the actual issues instead. I do think there's a valid point under all the faux-outrage to do with a lack of concern in Western societies for terrorism in places further afield, but the solution isn't to challenge people for their public acknowledgement of the tragic events in Paris.

I haven't changed my profile picture simply because I haven't felt a need to, but I have no problem with others showing their support in that way.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Nov 18 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

It's a really interesting debate, I personally side with Jade's "angry friend" to an extent as I'm not sure a lot of people who are using the flag are doing it for the purpose it is for, and just to change their profile picture to "be cool" without thinking of the deeper meaning behind it.

I really like the idea, but I think it'd mean more if people personally went to the effort of putting the flag over their profile picture themselves instead of just clicking a special tool that does it in one second.

I don't have an issue with people who do it as it would be fantastic if I felt convinced 100% of the people who are doing it are doing it for the reasons of showing solidarity and support, but I do feel that a lot of people are doing it for other reasons and therefore it doesn't feel right to me to do it when I can show my respect in other ways.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 18 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

There are so many other things going on in the world and I don't see why people are so het up over a facebook overlay! I have personally changed mine, but if others haven't that's their choice. It doesn't mean that those people don't care; it doesn't mean that those who have changed their profile picture care more either. It really is just like the poppy debate!

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 18 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #11
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

such a fad. it's like people's way of showing that they're nice but it's meaningless at the end of the day and theyll be revering back to their old profile picture as soon as the story starts to wind down a bit. share articles on the facts, inform people that not all Muslims are to blame, not just change your profile picture for a few days to be trendy and feel like champ

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 18 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #12
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Ryan. @ Nov 18 2015, 05:49 PM) *
It's a really interesting debate, I personally side with Jade's "angry friend" to an extent as I'm not sure a lot of people who are using the flag are doing it for the purpose it is for, and just to change their profile picture to "be cool" without thinking of the deeper meaning behind it.

I really like the idea, but I think it'd mean more if people personally went to the effort of putting the flag over their profile picture themselves instead of just clicking a special tool that does it in one second.

I don't have an issue with people who do it as it would be fantastic if I felt convinced 100% of the people who are doing it are doing it for the reasons of showing solidarity and support, but I do feel that a lot of people are doing it for other reasons and therefore it doesn't feel right to me to do it when I can show my respect in other ways.

This is not meant to target you Ryan, but i am highlighting a counter-point or offering an alternative to this viewpoint.. When we hold 2 minutes silence on Remembrance Day, do you care if every single person is doing it because they feel deeply from the bottom of the heart that they are being sincere in showing this respect? Would you rather the people that didn't fully understand the deeper meaning continued talking and making noise in these 2 minutes? Why does it bother you for the level of gratitude that someone's show of respect is conveying?

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 18 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #13
Henrietta R Hippo

... and how do you know that they don't care deep down? Maybe they had a friend or a loved one that was directly involved and you've just said that they don't care enough about it. I think we need to be careful before we damn someone for showing respect to people that have lost their lives.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Nov 18 2015, 06:00 PM
Post #14
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I did change mine, basically for the same reason you mentioned but I hid the update from my timeline etc so it didn't appear on everyone's news feed, I'm also one that doesn't really like sharing a lot on Facebook which is why I did that, Idk I just didn't feel like supporting France was something every individual had to announce, when something tragic like that happens it should be an automatic response to come together and support the country (or countries) that need it, no matter where you are in the world.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Nov 18 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #15
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

I see no harm with changing your profile picture in the slightest.

If the smallest thing you can do is change your profile picture to french colours to show respect and mourn for the loss of individuals from a terrorist attack, why not? I had friends in Paris during the time and was immediately attempting to find out if they were okay. I find it worrying that people have to question people's methods for changing a profile picture, surely people should be focusing on what really matters and that's showing as much respect as possible.

If anything the amount of support on facebook has made me feel proud that everybody is pulling together.

This post has been edited by TheGrinch: Nov 18 2015, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Nov 18 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Nov 18 2015, 05:55 PM) *
This is not meant to target you Ryan, but i am highlighting a counter-point or offering an alternative to this viewpoint.. When we hold 2 minutes silence on Remembrance Day, do you care if every single person is doing it because they feel deeply from the bottom of the heart that they are being sincere in showing this respect? Would you rather the people that didn't fully understand the deeper meaning continued talking and making noise in these 2 minutes? Why does it bother you for the level of gratitude that someone's show of respect is conveying?

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Nov 18 2015, 05:59 PM) *
... and how do you know that they don't care deep down? Maybe they had a friend or a loved one that was directly involved and you've just said that they don't care enough about it. I think we need to be careful before we damn someone for showing respect to people that have lost their lives.

Please don't think I am damning anyone as like I said, I don't have any issue with those that have done it or those that haven't as everyone will have their own way of showing respect. I just wanted to raise the point that I have a few doubts towards what will be a very small proportion of millions and millions of people in terms of their motive behind the use of the picture (when I said "a lot of people" it was an over-exaggeration when the number of people doing this in total is considered). Of course, everyone should respect a 2 minutes silence and I see where you are coming from, but they are different situations to me personally.

I am very invested in the situation and have the utmost respect for those that have lost their lives and I know lots and lots of people feel the same, it is an awful situation and the solidarity being shown in general is fantastic to see.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 18 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #17
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I've been thinking about this a lot. Imagine the perspective of somebody in Tanzania. When the Kenyan attack happened I would guess that the average Tanzanian would have been shocked, and quite afraid that another attack may happen somewhere close to them. They may feel sad if they hear about Paris but it probably didn't affect their outlook against terrorism as much as the Kenyan attack did. The same for those around the Middle East and other parts of Africa where terrorists have carried out attacks. It happened in their sphere. That's why Paris hit home here, proximity in both geography and culture. And it naturally affects how we react to it.

So the French FB profile pictures are a result of the Western world seeing an attack on its own and that does provoke stronger emotions than an attack on someone far away. That's not to say we shouldn't care but it is, from my point of view, completely understandable that this has hit us more than normal. Perhaps in the future Facebook will offer solidarity flags more often because of this and that would be a good thing. As an act itself it's pretty inconsequential but shows of support can be valuable at times like this. And given that pretty much everyone recognises the seriousness of these attacks, I think the people who are uninformed but doing it to be "cool" are in the minority. Those who are doing more to defend Muslims, share articles, get people thinking, they're doing the good work on social media. I don't use social media much in general so I've just changed my picture, to show my respects, and liked articles that others have shared.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 18 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #18
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I haven't done it. One, because I can't figure out how to do it by iPad anyway like I couldn't for gay marriage. Two, because of most of the above reasons.

I feel Facebook has moved from a social network and has become really narcissistic and showy offy.

I'm not saying people haven't changed their profil pics for the right reasons but it all smacks a bit of 'look at me, I care!' And in certain circles these days, you could be scorned upon for not making the change as if that is a statement of you not being bothered. It's like the people who post the stupid chain posts like 'most of you won't share this (code for 'if you're a heartless twat') but please do if you care about cancer because LOL LOOK AT ME BECAUSE I CARE BECAUSE LOOKY I SHAREDED ABOUT IT!!!!!1!1!'

As I said, I know most have done it out of respect but I can't help but feel Facebook is trying to capitalise in some way out of peoples' misery.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 18 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #19
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I feel like this is the "Je Suis Charlie" thing all over again.

On one hand, I don't see the issue with changing profile pictures to the flag because it shows that we as the human race need to support one another in our times of need. People do it to show respect, we've all been through that route, no problem. On the other hand... it's a double-edged sword. There are some people who believe that if you change your profile picture, you're resorting to conforming with the majority and say you're "trying too hard to be cool", whereas if you don't, people see that as a sign that you could care less.

Honestly, if you're doing it out of respect to those who lost loved ones in the attack, right on you.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 18 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #20
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I don't personally think anyone shouldn't change their picture, just to make things clear. My gripe is with Facebook itself.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 04:12 PM