BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemas refuse to show Lord's Prayer ad
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post Nov 23 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

A number of major cinema chains have refused to show an advert featuring the Lord's Prayer at showings of the new Star Wars film. They say that they have a policy of not showing political or religious adverts to avoid causing offence.

Many people, including Richard Dawkins, have said the ban is silly. Dawkins has said that anyone offended by a prayer deserves to be offended. The secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain has also spoken against the ban?

Are the cinema chains right to operate such a blanket ban, or is the idea that people might be offended by a prayer ridiculous?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34881727
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 23 2015, 12:32 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I wouldn't be offended per say but I'd rather not with religious propaganda promotion. I'd just roll my eyes, really, but I've managed to get this far in my life without knowing the words to the Lord's Prayer - I don't plan on learning it now.

Most people in the cinema's religion will probably be Jedi anyway.

This post has been edited by Joe.: Nov 23 2015, 12:58 PM

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Nov 23 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #3
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I think the idea of people being offended is a bit strong, though I think it's an inappropriate forum for such an advert so I agree with that ban. People go to the cinema for entertainment, not indoctrination. The blanket ban on religious and political adverts seems perfectly sensible and fair to me.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Nov 23 2015, 01:50 PM
Post #4
ya ya ya i am lorde
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,397

religion is one of the most evil human creations so yes, they are right to have done that. there's enough christian bullcrap to shove down people's throats outside of cinemas. (and what john said~)

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 23 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #5
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

That's hilarious - Jedi is also a religion and I have to put up with shit Starwars stuff everywhere I bloody go!

This post has been edited by Cauldron: Nov 23 2015, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Nov 23 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #6
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Well fair enough if it's a blanket ban and not specific to this one ad as they were making it sound on the news yesterday because I think the idea of it causing offense is silly.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Nov 23 2015, 04:47 PM
Post #7
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Nov 23 2015, 12:32 PM) *
I wouldn't be offended per say but I'd rather not with religious propaganda promotion. I'd just roll my eyes, really, but I've managed to get this far in my life without knowing the words to the Lord's Prayer - I don't plan on learning it now.

Most people in the cinema's religion will probably be Jedi anyway.

you're lucky. laugh.gif

I'm glad it's been banned anyway, I would rather religious/political views not be a thing that was advertised in this way. Let people think for themselves.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 23 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #8
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

But isn't advertising for products just another form of indoctrination? All adverts are in some way, they're trying to get you to do something. Whether that's political, religious or economical. On a personal level, I'd honestly much rather see this shoved in my face at the cinema than yet another advert for unhealthy food or overly-expensive shit or whatever, that's variety - and falling to both has the potential to harm your life far more than the Church of England. The question of banning it is whether people would get offended, not whether religion is bad and people shouldn't hear about it, and I agree with Dawkins (! as I normally think he's overly sanctimonious in his own way with atheism) on that, if they get offended they probably deserve to.

You may say that religion has caused a lot of problems in this world and I'd probably agree with you but Anglicanism is one of the most benign forms on the planet and if anything it's probably helped more people than it's hindered, I'd say at this point in history people can mostly think for themselves and make up their own minds in our society, and that's great, we really shouldn't be banning things, that goes against the sort of society I'd prefer us to be. The advert isn't particularly substantial but it's just a nice sentiment really, why do we say that's worth banning?

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 23 2015, 06:28 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Sheesh, this is quite ridiculous really. I mean who gets offended by it? You don't even have to pay attention. I didn't run out if the Hunger Games on Saturday night and immediately but the brand of deodorant they were trying to brainwash me into getting before the film. Why do they think we're all a bunch of thick sheep ffs?

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 23 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I'm more offended by the fact that they're calling it the "Lord's Prayer". We Catholics call it the "Our Father". Silly Protestants.

As far as my understanding goes, there are blanket bans on advertising of the religious and political on visual media i.e on TVs and in the cinema, with the exception of specialized religious TV channels in the former case, and party political broadcasts in the latter's case. You're allowed to proselytize all you want on the radio though.

In this specific case, it would appear that the C of E had signed a contract with the cinema chain, who then turned around and changed their mind due to either a) realising that the contract they signed would breach the code, or b) fearing that they would cause offense. Whatever the reason, the C of E have gained a real PR coup with this one, as many more people will have watched the advert now than if it was shown without a fuss in the cinema.

So should it have been shown in the cinema? It wouldn't have offended me, but it would open the door up to other groups to advertise in the same way, which I imagine I would not be so well inclined towards.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 23 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #11
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

good. just like #prayforparis, let's stop bringing religion into it and actually do something that will make a change

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 06:25 AM