BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One of the last northern white rhinos dies, :'(
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Michael Bubré
post Nov 23 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #1
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34897767

The northern white rhino was declared extinct in the wild thanks to poachers back in 2008. Now there are only 3 remaining in captivity, as sadly one kept at San Diego Zoo was recently put down. sob.gif

HOWEVER, there is hope that the species could be revived if southern white rhinos can act as surrogate mothers ;o Is this something you think we should be doing or is it a waste of money to try and keep the species going? Discuss ~

I'm not sure about this, it's disgusting that poachers hunted this beautiful animal to near total extinction to begin with and I'd love if it could somehow be revived but it does seem like somewhat of a waste of resources for a pretty implausible result. :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 23 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

sob.gif v sad news. The thought of an animal becoming extinct genuinely terrifies me as it's such a sad, irreversible (to a point) state. I would say use all the money to revive the species just because they probably can and what better way to spend money than stopping an entire species from leaving the planet forever?

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 25 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Man has exterminated so many species he has a moral obligation to save as many as possible. So, yes I'm in favour of surrogate species to keep them going. Not as if we haven't been manipulating nature to our advantage for millennia already (cats, dogs, cattle, sheep etc are all man-bred breeds to a large extent), so it's not much of a stretch.

Of course, the aim should always be to return them to the wild, or at least a reasonable landscaped facsimile of it (not small cages/pens).

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 25 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #4
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

R.I.P. BB 😥

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 25 2015, 04:26 PM
Post #5
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

why the f*** isn't there a rhino emoji bye

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 12:28 AM