BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How have your music tastes changed over the years?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HowToPronounceMa...
post Nov 23 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

What kind of changes have you noticed in your musical preferences over the years, if any? I think about this often. Do you now listen to types of music you would've rejected at an earlier age? Have you grown apart from certain types of music? Or do you listen to a combination of everything you used to listen to, plus new things?

When I first got into music as a wee kid, I listened to nothing but pop and country. Pop probably because it was pretty much the only kind of music played on some old music show that I used to watch on tv, and country because I secretly wanted to be a cowboy. Nah, I actually can't remember why country exactly. I just remember listening to Faith Hill a lot etc.

Started to branch out in my teenage years, probably with the introduction of Portishead, Björk and Röyksopp into my life. I suddenly became very intrigued by electronic music, when that was something I had actually disliked before (apart from the pop side of it). Was obsessed with trip-hop for a good while, and still listen to it now, but less obsessively kink.gif

Rock, especially the "alternative" kind, really came into play around the same time too, when I discovered Coldplay and so on.

Nowadays I actually probably listen to pretty much everything I have listened to all my life, but with even more additions, which I am enjoying. I don't really listen to country music anymore, but still a bit of pop, rock, alternative stuff, a lot of different types of electronic music etc. I never expected to get into techno and rave but that has happened recently. I really hope I get into gangsta rap next unsure.gif

And you?

(please excuse the tiny essay but I couldn't condense the history of my music tastes into anything less)

This post has been edited by Matt O: Nov 23 2015, 05:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Nov 23 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #2
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I'd say since switching to Radio 2 full time a few years ago, my tastes have broadened somewhat, and it's where I'm introduced to much of my new music - the Jamie Lawson record being a recent case in point. I probably buy less new albums than I used to. Like this year for example, the only new artist albums I've bought I can count on my hand.

I also find now I'm gravitating a bit more towards the stuff my parents liked when we were growing up or even artists they bought us up on. Like since I got my record player in the summer I've bought a lot more stuff from older kind of eras, so lots of The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel, a bit of disco and funk like Nile Rodgers.

But I'll always make time for artists that I've followed since the beginning and am loyal to - Olly being the main one of course.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 23 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I listen to all sorts of genres these days. Though there are still genres I don't touch but I used to only like video game music when I was about 7-10. It's gone from just Dance to rap and pop and it's increasing more and more, I could say that other influences appearing in today's charts help me branch to other genres as well.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Nov 23 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #4
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

As time has gone on, I've become way more open minded with music. Many artists I rejected years ago are now favourites of mine because I was way too close-minded at the time. My tastes have become more balanced between males and females also, but with regards to the genre, it's not really changed at all, pop is still my forte laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dancember
post Nov 23 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #5
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

when I was very young I liked a bit of cheesy pop (kids shows music, Steps, S Club 7). Then gradually progressed to chart and especially dance music which I'm still loving today.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Nov 24 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

I used to have a general attachment to certain musical eras, with others not massively explored but would like what I'd heard. My biggest was late 90s/early 00s trance, which I could listen to forever, but I also really enjoyed early 1980s synthpop, late 1980s acid house/dance-pop, early 90s rave, mid-90s Britpop and Eurodance, bits of mid-2000s indie and a mixed bag from the late noughties/early tens which reminded me of a happy point of my life. Generally the 80s and 90s made up a majority of my playlist with selected gems from the decades either side.

As I grew older, my tastes narrowed somewhat and I jettisoned most of the above in favour of lots of Clubland style dance-pop from the early-mid noughties - Scooter, Cascada, Ultrabeat etc, not really listening to anything that had a guitar in it anymore as this mainstream commercial music fitted me perfectly with little need for anything else. Growing older still, even these fell by the wayside and all I started listened to were the acts seen on Top of the Pops and The Box every day - Steps, S Club 7, the Vengaboys, the Cartoons etc. I was really big into extremely simplistic, kid-friendly pop music, mostly by manufactured bands that had simple melodies and friendly-looking singers.

Today the only song I listen to is 'Mr Blobby' by Mr Blobby.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 24 2015, 09:05 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I used to like only rock/indie music growing up, and turned my nose up at pop. I've obviously changed there. When I did work experience at NME they told me there's just as much artistry making a pop banger as there is an electro indie hit and that 'there's no bad genre, just bad songs' and that opened my mind a lot - these days pop is my favourite genre, though I do still like most genres.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 24 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

When I was really young (e.g. about 10 years ago) I was pretty much solely into pop music. Stuff like: Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Britney and the likes. I then started to listen to the charts and discovered the Now! franchise which broadened the different genres of music I'd listen to a little bit. I think I have much more of a penchant for retro music these days, whereas I didn't really care so much a while back - particularly 60s stuff or 90s rave nowadays. I'd also say my taste is way more eclectic now.

I still embrace a huge pop song like I would when I was younger, but I'm a lot more open minded as I've grown older. I've also been much more drawn to the production/general instrumentation of songs - particularly strings. So I'd definitely say there's been a lot of change indeed.

(Yay - return of the Mattias threads *.*)

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 24 2015, 01:12 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Started out loving kiddie-appeal pop and broadened out to more adult love of anything cool or pop or new or fresh by the time I was 14 (I lived in Singapore 2 years 11 till 13 and came across a world of differing varieties of asian, and american music as well as chart stuff). From there I've grown to like even stuff I used to hate, like Opera, meandering Jazz - provided it's doing something interesting. If it's still random note meandering it can stay away from me if it knows what's good for it! ohmy.gif

Look at the size of my trumpet/sax/vocal range is not clever, it's very very naughty laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Nov 24 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #10
Feliz Navidadbod
Member No.: 19,585

QUOTE(Danvember @ Nov 23 2015, 06:22 PM) *
when I was very young I liked a bit of cheesy pop (kids shows music, Steps, S Club 7). Then gradually progressed to chart and especially dance music which I'm still loving today.

Exactly the same for me Dan. Music twins laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Nov 24 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

When I was a kid, I'd listen to whatever my older sister would listen to, which meant most pop and hip-hop/R&B from the late '90s to the mid '00s. When I was 12, I started trying to develop my own ~musical identity~, so that's when I started listening to MCR and Fall Out Boy and all the other bands typical of their time, which I think my sister was too old to really care about. Around this time I started going on forums and talking to people online, and that's when I found out about the oceans of music I'd never been exposed to, and things kind of escalated quickly from there. I think I went through like, three or four phases within a year or something? I went from MCR/FOB to Disturbed/Slipknot/their ilk to The Killers/Muse/Radiohead. Radiohead kickstarted my ~indie phase when I was about 14, which was basically my slippery slope to snobbery and disavowing pop and my pop childhood (I also started really hating R&B and hip-hop around this time). Radiohead led me to all the "critically acclaimed" indie bands from the '00s like Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, etc., and that kickstarted two years of me just listening exclusively to whatever was on indie blogs and stuff.

When I was 16, Lady Gaga was in the middle of her Fame Monster era and I kind of secretly loved what she was doing. Curiosity led me to the Billboard website, and I looked through the Hot 100 and decided to make a playlist of the top 10. That was my first step to reconnecting with pop and hip-hop and the start of my chart-watching hobby. For a while though, it was something I did secretly and I kind of hated myself for it but that all changed in 2011 when "We Found Love" was released and changed my f***ing life. Since then I've continued to split my attention three ways I think: "indie" stuff, top 40 pop, hip-hop, and all the stuff in between. (I mean, every big site these days covers all three to some extent and obviously in 2015 there is plenty of overlap between them so) These days though, I think I'm much more inclined to listen to a new hip-hop or R&B release as there's so much great stuff around. I think I realized my love for hip-hop and R&B never really left, as they were such huge parts of my childhood thanks to my sister.

This post has been edited by dhwe: Nov 24 2015, 02:13 PM

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 24 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #12
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I grew up under a house full of 80's music, Disney Channel stars and Britney Spears. I also used to like a bunch of songs by U2 and John Mayer back in my early elementary school days. It wasn't until discovering my local radio station that I ended up getting into chart music. Then it was a hip-hop phase, and that developed into really liking songs that were pretty new, so I ended up being three months ahead of the charts at one point.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Nov 24 2015, 02:54 PM
Post #13
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

It's always been pop and boybands (Busted & McFly before the days of One Direction and The Vamps etc.) but when I was younger I'd say I was a bit like vidcapper in terms of rejection of all rap music. That changed at least by the time I signed up here and so now I'm more open to anything.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Nov 24 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

When I was very young I only liked things like theme tunes and classical music. I didn't really care much for pop music until Cher's Believe came out, which I was obsessed with, and then around the same time I quickly became obsessed with The Corrs after somebody bought me Talk On Corners.

The following summer (1999) I started to get into dance music and pop (especially MOR) and dance shaped my tastes until about 2003. After this I started to open my mind a bit more and started to like parts of nearly every genre, and in particular a lot more by male singers, who for some reason I avoided prior to 2005 aside from the odd few.

These days I'd say it's still predominantly MOR pop and dance (some things never change), but I'm pretty much open to anything and there are VERY few songs that I can't appreciate to at least some extent, which means I spend an awful lot of money on music!

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Dec 28 2015, 01:15 AM
Post #15
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I've recently been informed that I have not posted in this, and it's a great topic so I really need to, especially as this year is coming to an end it seems like a good time to reflect wink.gif

Growing up my taste was pretty pop orientated, went through a massive Rihanna phase, a thankfully not so big Take That one sick2.gif but Pink was always my favourite artist up until about 2009. I also liked Avril Lavigne, Busted, Kelly Clarkson a lot so I think I've always been into things with a rockier edge (even though those are pop artists but I hope you know what I mean laugh.gif)

Paramore brought their Brand New Eyes album out in 2009, and don't ask me how but Cameron owned it. I had heard a few of their older songs before and liked them but idk I guess I always passed them off as being a band I didn't "suit" listening to, I feel like music reflected a lot on personal image back then so me liking "chart music" seemed to be fitting, I ended up listening to BNE on repeat though, claimed it as my own and found myself in a black hole of Paramore's discography on loop for four years mellow.gif I'm not even over exaggerating here, I listened to pretty much nothing but them for most of my high school life. I did start finding other bands through them thank god, really found a love for pop punk music in particular, the classic bands that fit into that and newer ones that kinda branch off into other rock sub genres. I still listen to so much of that but then I'll also not be afraid to listen to pop or RnB music again. I can listen to pretty much anything and enjoy it, I've sorta given up putting things into genres though as it gets to the stage where theres so much overlapping you can't possibly label what it is, post-hardcore is something wikipedia likes to describe some of the heavier bands i listen to as, also stumbled across the term melodic-hardcore too laugh.gif I just like things that are anthemic and make you feel something when you're listening. I've even started coming round to more sort of Indie bands this year, I also used to thing ballads or songs with softer, slower melodies were boring but some of my favourite songs rn are like that and the only word I'd use to describe them now is stunning wub.gif

*added note*
Electronic music is something that I've also come around to more this year too, not like DJs though, I'm still yet to add that to the list of things I enjoy unsure.gif but more electro-rock/electro-pop, I basically see that as what I've always loved except with an added layer that makes it twice as incredible. Marina and the Diamonds' Electra Heart album is pretty electro-poppy and I adore it. I never used to like Marina at all, her voice used to just grate on me but now I think she is one of the most talented singers out there, and she's up there with Paramore on my favourite artists chart wink.gif Lana Del Rey I'm tolerating a bit more but is still quite boring and irritating to me at times, I did listen to all of Honeymoon though so don't say I didn't try! (Lotti)

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Dec 28 2015, 01:26 AM

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Dec 28 2015, 01:38 AM
Post #16
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Huh, neither have I. I've always been very interested in this because I've detected my music taste changing while I've been on here a lot. Which makes it quite easy to track.

I didn't really care much about what I was listening to and took very little notice of song names before 2010, then I went through a massive pop phase from 2010 to 2012, to the point where I was actually shunning rock songs at least a little (and obviously in that thinking death metal was the worst form of music known to man mellow.gif ), although I still had some rock favourites, I just hadn't discovered the best of what was on offer at least not completely. Then I think from 2012 to 2015 I've been slowly changing, getting a lot less tolerant of the same sort of pop I would have adored back in 2010 because I've heard it all before, while indie, rock, and electro all offer some really interesting new things for me to get interested in. As well as other genres, but principally those. Every genre has something that could be interesting in it, and I think I'm now in the position where what I penalise songs for most prominently after 'how much they annoy me' is how uninspired a piece of music they are. Because every lazy song could have been done a lot better and I'm not going to waste my time with average songs when a great one could be just around the corner.

Though I think what this experience has also taught me that it's entirely possible to change your opinion on things, I used to be well-known around here for flip-flopping my opinion on songs, but over the years it changes even more drastically. Even now every month or so I go through say, an asian pop phase, or a very hipster indie rock phase, or a 'don't really care who knows it' dance-pop phase, or an epic and beautiful music phase. Point is, besides my anchor point that's now rooted somewhat in the pop-punk-to-light-metal area, I don't think my music taste is fixed at all and one month I may be very much in the mood for something I'm not in the mood for right now.

+Quote Post
Dircandydircane
post Dec 28 2015, 07:26 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting thread & responses!

For me, I can remember being big into pop music as a kid around '99-'01. My favourite songs around the time were Eiffel 65's "Blue", and numerous Bomfunk MC's & Gorillaz songs. Then after that for whatever reason I just totally went off music and took very little interest in it. There might have been occasional songs I liked but I'd never admit it at the time. Everything changed in 2006 when I discovered the 'alternative' realm of music and I found myself especially into a lot of rock bands like Muse, My Chemical Romance, and many, many Australian rock bands. All this time I still paid attention to the charts, not because I liked the music but because I found them interesting. I was a bit of an elitist without realising though. From around 2011 onwards, I think my taste has slowly morphed with me developing a greater interest in pop, electronic & hip-hop music. Nowadays I'll listen to pretty much anything as long as it has a strong melodic foundation. Loving the charts more than ever before too. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SantaDalek32
post Jul 22 2017, 11:48 PM
Post #18
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

2008-2009: ???
2010-2013: Stuff on the charts
2013-2014: Some songs from the 90s
2014-2015: Lots of club songs, including ones from Spinning TV
late 2015-2017: Indie, alternative, EDM, psychedelic

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 23 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #19
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I've posted here before but I'll try and do a by years thing like DT posted:
  • 2013: not sure on the year exactly but some time around this date I was really digging into the older Owl City music. Before this point I preferred his poppier OE/ATBAB style. Not sure how I grew into it but my realisation of my introverted personality after leaving school and spending more time alone could've factored into this. This was also my first notable time I got into music that wasn't dance or chart successful (I was pretty chart looney at this point kink.gif )
  • 2014: started branching out more with music which before then was 95% dance.
  • 2015: Pop became more impacting in my tastes and i noticed I was loving more of that genre than in previous years. Other genres started to catch my attention too.
  • 2016: Definitely the year of rock for me! I think the main reason for this is due to my emotional rollercoaster I had then. It was mostly female fronted (as female vocals are preferred most of the time in any genre). I was enjoying all sorts of genres too and my days of EDM bias were truly gone. I could easily love an ATC or Paramore song just as much as an Avicii or Calvin Harris song (if not more!)
  • 2017: I think acoustic has been a bigger grower on me than in previous years (although I've enjoyed a couple of Ed Sheeran songs before etc. (Especially Afire Love heart.gif) I noticed this when I constantly gave the more laid back songs in rates etc. higher scores. Again this fits in with my emotional phases.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jul 23 2017, 12:41 AM
Post #20
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I feel like I love all of the stuff released on the charts for the most part from 90's up until about 2013. I really detest the current chart trends, but I used to live for them. Lean more towards alternative and digging into mid nineties to early 2000's EDM and a very few select pop choices these days. Britney Spears, Madonna, No Doubt, 311, Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani, Damien Rice, Rihanna, The Presets, Lana Del Rey, Destiny's Child, Girls Aloud, The Used, Christina Aguilera, Twenty One Pilots, TLC, Mariah Carey, En Vogue, N'Sync... I could go on for days. But, that's discussing the stuff that's been released in my lifetime. Live for the 80's all genres seemed electric in that time. Also a sucker for The Steve Miller Band, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles.

Check out Coast Modern. That's my current music taste... and Britney bitch. #buygloryonitunes

This post has been edited by Tyler: Jul 23 2017, 12:49 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 01:24 PM