BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things to do in Berlin?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh
post Nov 25 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #1
✌🏻️
Group: Members
Member No.: 43
   No Gallery Pics

Yo ✌🏻️

So I'm off to Berlin in a couple of days, and having asked around, nobody's actually given me any good advice about Berlin - so I thought I'd ask the wonderful people of BuzzJack.

Has anyone ever visited before? Anyone live there? Obviously we're going to be checking out the Berlin Wall and the (apparent) amazing gay scene, but can anyone offer any good advice or recommend places to visit?

And how much does the average pint/cocktail cost?..

Danke! Xo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slick
post Nov 25 2015, 09:41 PM
Post #2
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

They have an amazing gay scene? That totally passed me by when I was there.

If they're up yet (I presume they will be), pop into a Christmas market or two - Christmas done properly imo. I'm afraid I can't give any other tips other than the Wall because we only spent one night there.

This post has been edited by Slick: Nov 25 2015, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
Josh
post Nov 25 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #3
✌🏻️
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Slick @ Nov 25 2015, 09:41 PM) *
They have an amazing gay scene? That totally passed me by when I was there.

If they're up yet (I presume they will be), pop into a Christmas market or two - Christmas done properly imo. I'm afraid I can't give any other tips other than the Wall because we only spent one night there.

Well, "allegedly" it's amazing according to the Twittersphere. And yes, the Christmad markets are definitely on the agenda!

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Nov 25 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #4
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Jark should be of some use (for the first time ever) with this, he lives there. Not that he has knowledge of the gay scene of course, being fiercely and staunchly ''heterosexual''.

+Quote Post
Josh
post Nov 25 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #5
✌🏻️
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qween @ Nov 25 2015, 10:07 PM) *
Jark should be of some use (for the first time ever) with this, he lives there. Not that he has knowledge of the gay scene of course, being fiercely and staunchly ''heterosexual''.

JARK LIVES IN BERLIN?! Oh BuzzJack I can't keep up. Thanking you - I'll drop him a DM.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 25 2015, 10:24 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

What are you interested in? There are countless museums catering for a wide range of interests. The DDR museum is interesting if you want some idea of what life was like in that side of the Wall. If you are interested in cinema, the film museum is well worth a visit.

Obviously, there are the sites such as the Brandenburg Gate, the Bundestag and the Holocaust Memorial, all very close to each other. There's not much of the Wall left now, but you should make sure you see at least one of the remaining sections.

If you go to one of the gay bookshops, you can get various guides (including free maps etc.) with plenty of info.

http://berlin.gaycities.com/shops/100514-p...nherz-buchladen

+Quote Post
Josh
post Nov 25 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #7
✌🏻️
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 25 2015, 10:24 PM) *
What are you interested in? There are countless museums catering for a wide range of interests. The DDR museum is interesting if you want some idea of what life was like in that side of the Wall. If you are interested in cinema, the film museum is well worth a visit.

Obviously, there are the sites such as the Brandenburg Gate, the Bundestag and the Holocaust Memorial, all very close to each other. There's not much of the Wall left now, but you should make sure you see at least one of the remaining sections.

If you go to one of the gay bookshops, you can get various guides (including free maps etc.) with plenty of info.

http://berlin.gaycities.com/shops/100514-p...nherz-buchladen

You're an absolute star, perfect.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Nov 25 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Berlin is amazing. I've been 7 times now.

It depends what you're after. Berghain is the best nightclub, but can be hard to get into (not for me though, obvs tongue.gif). Watergate is okay too and SchwuZ is a fun gay club.

If you want nice bars and restaurants, Friedrichshain is the area I usually stay and there's loads of buzz there. I particularly like White Trash which is a bar, restaurant and tattoo parlour. Friedrichshain is also close to the famous East Side public gallery along the wall.

Touristy wise going to the Dome on the top of Reichstag is a must - its beautiful inside and there are great views of Berlin (it's free too!) There's loads of Christmas markets around, I'm not sure which is the best but they're all pretty atmospheric!

Berlin is quite cheap - especially in comparison to London which is what I'm used to.

+Quote Post
Josh
post Nov 25 2015, 10:55 PM
Post #9
✌🏻️
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Nov 25 2015, 10:35 PM) *
Berlin is amazing. I've been 7 times now.

It depends what you're after. Berghain is the best nightclub, but can be hard to get into (not for me though, obvs tongue.gif). Watergate is okay too and SchwuZ is a fun gay club.

If you want nice bars and restaurants, Friedrichshain is the area I usually stay and there's loads of buzz there. I particularly like White Trash which is a bar, restaurant and tattoo parlour. Friedrichshain is also close to the famous East Side public gallery along the wall.

Touristy wise going to the Dome on the top of Reichstag is a must - its beautiful inside and there are great views of Berlin (it's free too!) There's loads of Christmas markets around, I'm not sure which is the best but they're all pretty atmospheric!

Berlin is quite cheap - especially in comparison to London which is what I'm used to.

Amazing! Thanks Joe.

Just Google'd those clubs, definitely up my street, thanks for the heads-up! I think we're quite near to the Friedrichshain area too so will definitely check it out.

And I've heard various things about how costly Berlin - if it's better in comparison to London then I cannot complain at all. ✌🏻️

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Nov 25 2015, 11:08 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I was in Berlin at the start of December last year. The Christmas Markets are amazing. Alexanderplatz and Potsdamerplatz have amazing markets.

I would recommend the Reichstag. The tour is brilliant, our tour guide was hilarious and it was free!

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 25 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I went earlier this year for the Berlinale Film Festival as part of my module on Film Festivals, I didn't get to see much of the city as I could alas, but I stayed near the Potsdamer Platz where there's definitely a lot to do, lots of shopping centres, night life and the Christmas market at this time of year, so I'd definitely recommend a visit. If you're interested, the Deutsche Kinemathek Museum (Film Haus) is really interesting or a day trip, also it's within walking distance to Brandenburg Gate and within a short tube ride (the underground's pretty cheap there, and very easy to navigate) of the good sites/trails to see the Berlin Wall.

I'm sure you already have it, but This site (though you'll need to translate to English) is great if you need short term accomodation!

Also, pick up a souvenir or two, I got a pint glass shaped like a boot with the Brandenburg Gate on it *.*

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 25 2015, 11:42 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Nov 25 2015, 11:15 PM) *
I went earlier this year for the Berlinale Film Festival as part of my module on Film Festivals, I didn't get to see much of the city as I could alas, but I stayed near the Potsdamer Platz where there's definitely a lot to do, lots of shopping centres, night life and the Christmas market at this time of year, so I'd definitely recommend a visit. If you're interested, the Deutsche Kinemathek Museum (Film Haus) is really interesting or a day trip, also it's within walking distance to Brandenburg Gate and within a short tube ride (the underground's pretty cheap there, and very easy to navigate) of the good sites/trails to see the Berlin Wall.

I'm sure you already have it, but This site (though you'll need to translate to English) is great if you need short term accomodation!

Also, pick up a souvenir or two, I got a pint glass shaped like a boot with the Brandenburg Gate on it *.*

Yes, that's the one I meant biggrin.gif When I went there, several years ago now, they had a special exhibition on one of my favourite fins, Metroplis. That added extra interest to my visit.

I was there in 2009 for the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Wall. At that time (the anniversary was 9 Nov), most of the Christmas markets were still being put up. The Alexanderplatz one was about the only one open. They had some lovely fresh fruit for sale, even if you did have to eat through the chocolate to get to the fruit tongue.gif

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Nov 26 2015, 01:20 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Berlin's my favourite capital city in Europe and I've been to about 30 of them! As mentioned the DDR Museum is a must, you used to be able to get a 'Berlin Stars' book of vouchers from some of the tourist attractions and get a few Euro off them, but it was a couple years back when I went. But check out the Computerspielemuseum too! A huge amount of old arcade machines and consoles to play with going right back to the early days of computers, with one of the only surviving working East Germany arcade machines too.

Just make sure you don't make the mistake a couple of American tourists did who I met last time I was there, who had printed out a subway map online and got hopelessly lost until I pointed them in the right direction. They'd accidentally printed out a map from 1961, not only realising half the lines weren't there but failing to notice the massive line in the middle of the map dividing both sides of the city...

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Nov 26 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

Make sure you go up the Television Tower at Alexanderplatz, absolutely amazing view up there.
If you like shopping I recommend you to go to the Kaufhaus am Westen.

This post has been edited by Maurice Horan: Nov 26 2015, 07:01 AM

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 26 2015, 11:42 AM
Post #15
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

if you're up for a day trip I'd definitely recommend Wannsee to the south west it's beautiful even in the winter. tho if you do end up going in the summer at some point there's a great man made beach there.

also yeah the memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe is a must. Just make sure you don't be one of them dicks who run around it like a kid and take happy happy selfies. WORST

+Quote Post
Josh
post Nov 26 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #16
✌🏻️
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Nov 26 2015, 11:42 AM) *
if you're up for a day trip I'd definitely recommend Wannsee to the south west it's beautiful even in the winter. tho if you do end up going in the summer at some point there's a great man made beach there.

also yeah the memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe is a must. Just make sure you don't be one of them dicks who run around it like a kid and take happy happy selfies. WORST

Oh, definitely not.

THANKS all - you've been a great help. xo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 12:50 AM