BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would you rather..., crap job / good pay | good job / crap pay
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Job satisfaction vs money~
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 38
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Nov 30 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Hello.

A bit of a pondery to ponder over~ Would you rather be stuck in a dead end 9-5 job with little scope for promotion or fun but be paid a hefty, generous cheque at the end of each month (so you can enjoy yourself elsewhere~) OR would you rather have a rewarding, fun, exciting job that made you happy but that paid little to nothing? How far would you sacrifice a good pay to actually enjoy heading into work?

And for those OLD ENOUGH what is your current situation - do you enjoy work and is the pay enough for what you're put through?

confused.gif Discuss~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Nov 30 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

A more interesting/fun job would be better. Sometimes it's even fun enough that you DON'T EVEN MIND having a low wage. But still, something needs to pay the bills!

But having a dull job is just going to get you maybe depressed, bored, down in general which just isn't healthy imo. I don't think prioritising money over the lack of enjoyment in the work you do is worth it really. *insert the appropriate Will Smith movie here*

This post has been edited by Shivering Adam❄️: Nov 30 2015, 06:22 PM

+Quote Post
dancember
post Nov 30 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #3
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think I could cope with the stress of hating my job, so I'd definitely take the fun job with low pay over it as long as I can at least pay my bills n shit. maybe my opinion will change once I actually experience proper work and independent living but I'm not there yet

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Nov 30 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #4
Feliz Navidadbod
Member No.: 19,585

I work in a residential home for adults with autism. It's stressful and challenging and the pay is terrible for what we have to put up with... But it is so rewarding and even doing the littlest of things can mean big achievements for the people I support so I really do love it in that sense.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Nov 30 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #5
Beautiful Trauma
Member No.: 590

I've already got the first one, crap job but good pay.

I used to work day shifts in a supermarket, I'm now doing exactly the same thing but on night shifts, I have decent nights off and getting paid a lot more for it, suits me just fine even though I hate the job tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Nov 30 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #6
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Job I enjoy / low pay

I manage not to spend too much (half of my take home pay goes on rent - the rest is mostly food) so I think I could survive on fairly low pay. I enjoy my current job and it's nice not to dread going to work everyday but my aspiration is to be a train driver and in that situation I wouldn't have to choose between pay and the enjoyment factor tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 30 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I'd rather have a fun and fulfilling job and be paid a pittance than the other way around ~ luckily I get paid for doing something that I love and the pay just about funds my music & wine addictions.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Nov 30 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #8
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

I could never see myself doing a job I hate.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 30 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #9
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

The pay would probably need to be high enough so it's enough to live on, but I'd definitely prefer a job I enjoyed and I'm good at no matter the pay. A full time job would take up a huge part of my life, if I didn't enjoy it, there wouldn't be much to look forward too daily and I don't think I'd ultimately be happy, I don't have any big desires to super wealthy, so this is what I'd prefer.

Although, I have actually done quite a lot of crap jobs that were quite well paying (for what they were) and I got through them, I just use them as experience and stepping stones so I can get to somewhere I want to be with my career eventually.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 30 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I'm currently in a job where I get paid relatively little and is rather monotonous, but has its perks from time to time (last week I got put up in a £300 a night five star hotel in St Andrews free of charge).

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 30 2015, 07:03 PM
Post #11
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Nov 30 2015, 06:26 PM) *
I work in a residential home for adults with autism. It's stressful and challenging and the pay is terrible for what we have to put up with... But it is so rewarding and even doing the littlest of things can mean big achievements for the people I support so I really do love it in that sense.

Didn't know this about you! A friend of mine has recently left a job which was similar to this (because she needed a change) but whenever I met her she had endless stories about her day and the small things that made her smile. Must be very rewarding, for sure.

My job atm is very rewarding also, I smile for most of the day and if I was paid for just that i'd be on cloud nine.. It does however involve a heap of paper work and seemingly meaningless tasks so the pay seems very well earned when it eventually turns up. I seem to have an issue with my tax bracket atm so I think I should be getting a bit more each month, but i'm told it all levels out by April time unsure.gif Anyway yeah, a good job with ok pay, so i'm fine for now.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Nov 30 2015, 07:47 PM
Post #12
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I just voted the wrong one. I should have chosen good job/crap pay. Can that be changed?

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 30 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #13
Henrietta R Hippo

^ done.

Pretty convincing poll so far ;o You selfless bunch~

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Nov 30 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #14
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

I'm liking working at Legoland despite the minimal pay so I'd definitely consider myself in the good job/bad pay group. I'm not a huge spender anyway so for now it's totally fine, but I guess once I move out and become totally independent my viewpoint in this debate may shift?

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 30 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #15
Henrietta R Hippo

The issue i'm having is that I am paying WAY to much for my rent atm. I'm in a prime location in the city centre and while it's all flash and convenient, i'm not really saving much (also going out most weekends isn't helping but that I can't do without!). Trying to save as best I can but it won't be much until I find somewhere cheaper to live next year (or move back in with the rents which has crossed my mind given how close I am to them atm anyway lol). It is my first year earning a salary so I shouldn't be stressing already but yeah, most of my earnings are going towards my accommodation atm so it's cutting deep. pirate.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 30 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #16
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, rents are far too high - it is supposed to be around 30-40% (average 28% in the EU) of your income but that just isn't feasible for most. I am hopeful that with the number of renters increasing and owner-occupiers decreasing we should see the government and politicians start to listen and take action. So far, not happening tho.

I would say though for your situation just enjoy it and don't worry about saving too much. I used to live right in the centre of the city (ok, XTR is hardly much of a city..) and it was expensive but great fun and very convenient. At the end of the day if you are happy there then and have enough left over each month to enjoy yourself, and don't feel the need to cut back then that is all you really need to be happy.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 30 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #17
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I'm currently studying journalism so if this does turn out to be my career then I'd definitely fall under doing something I love for undewhelming pay. It seems like a really exciting job but it's hard to get into and even then the pay isn't great. I don't think I could stand hating my job though, it was rather stressful to see my dad go through that. Tbh though even my first part time job had to be a fun one in my favourite shop, so ultimately I think I just want to do something I love that pays enough to live on.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Nov 30 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #18
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 30 2015, 08:34 PM) *
Yeah, rents are far too high - it is supposed to be around 30-40% (average 28% in the EU) of your income but that just isn't feasible for most. I am hopeful that with the number of renters increasing and owner-occupiers decreasing we should see the government and politicians start to listen and take action. So far, not happening tho.

I would say though for your situation just enjoy it and don't worry about saving too much. I used to live right in the centre of the city (ok, XTR is hardly much of a city..) and it was expensive but great fun and very convenient. At the end of the day if you are happy there then and have enough left over each month to enjoy yourself, and don't feel the need to cut back then that is all you really need to be happy.

Mine works out around 50% when bills etc are added on :/ (especially when my housemate leaves her heater on ALL DAY while we're both out at work dry.gif)

I definitely take that advice on board - I mean I am certainly enjoying myself in the process, and me and my best mate make sure we have plans every weekend to escape from work, but I am very money conscious and will try to cut costs wherever I can! The ~30% or so I am saving seems like a small amount for the work i'm doing but it'll all add up and accumulate in the end hopefully.

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Nov 30 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I absolutely love my job despite the paperwork, and i get paid enough to pay all my bills, though i always try to save money and look for the best deals in supermarkets laugh.gif. I don't go out that much anymore as i used to do but that's mainly because i'm always tired after a week of teaching.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Nov 30 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #20
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

I've experienced both, I've done a job that I adored but it never paid enough which resulted into me changing into a job I despised but had better pay.

There's nothing worse than despising work, it makes it the longest hours and it's not fun despising work on a daily basis.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:40 AM