Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Parents should be able to choose the sex of their child'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'Parents should be able to choose the sex of their child'
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
post Dec 2 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 13,007

This is quite an icky debate and one that i'm sure affects certain societies and cultures more than others (trying to avoid stereotypes). While parents would naturally favour a certain sex for their child, do you think it is ever right to be able to interfere with nature and tamper / change what could have been? Should science, just because it might be able to, allow parents to genetically choose the sex of their children? And if so, where does the slope end - choosing eye colours, hair colours, height...

If you are FOR you believe parents should be able to choose the sex of their child.
If you are AGAINST you believe parents should not be able to choose the sex of their child.

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'War can never be justified'
'The opt-out system for organ donation should be mandatory'
'Assissted suicide should be legalised'
'People who download illegally should be prosecuted'
'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
'Voting should be compulsory'
'The voting age should be lowered to 16'
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #2
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #3
I'm just going to the STORE
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

If science allows it, I'm not sure if I'm necessarily against the idea thinking.gif Not that I'm FOR it, I mean I wouldn't do it myself and I don't really see why people would want to but my stance is more neutral, I'm not dead set against.

As long as it doesn't skew massively towards a certain gender, it's still bringing life into the world unsure.gif
+Quote Post
T Boy
post Dec 2 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #4
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Against. It ruins the miracle of creation. A colleague of mine is 7 months pregnant and doesn't know what she's getting or care. She will love the child no matter what. She's excited to find out what she's getting.......on the day of the birth. There is literally no need for parents to decide the gender of their children.
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

There are some serious genetic conditions that only affect one gender. If parents know that they are at risk of passing this on to their child, it is understandable that they might want to choose a child of the other gender. As a general rule, I would be totally opposed to gender selection, but I think it is potentially acceptable in very specific circumstances.
+Quote Post
post Dec 2 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #6
hey, it's me
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

I think yes where genetic conditions only pass to one gender, or if a mother has had several children that have all been the same gender.
+Quote Post
Jacob Alan
post Dec 2 2015, 11:56 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Just look at China. No.
+Quote Post
post Dec 3 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

Look at Lady C. A result of parents choosing a gender.
+Quote Post
post Dec 3 2015, 03:19 PM
Post #9
underneath the disco light
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 11,709

I voted yes, but not without some serious asterisks attached. It should not be used simply because a parent wants a child of a specific gender to fit in with their lives, but I agree with Tirren in that if someone has multiple children of a single gender, it would be nice and acceptable for them to have one of the opposite gender. Same goes for fatal abnormalities and other serious medical conditions.

Morally, I'm not opposed to this kind of thing at all. Providing the reasons for it are sound and it isn't abused, I think it could be a wonderful thing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2016 - 04:00 PM