BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving, is the gear shift the bane of your life?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
driving~
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 40
Guests cannot vote 
*Callum
post Dec 7 2015, 09:53 PM
Post #1
C A L
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,799

so i had my first driving lesson today and i think it's fair to say that i wasn't expecting driving a car to be *quite* so complicated. from the checking of the mirrors to the signals to the clutch to the dreaded gear shift it was all a lot to take in. after 20 minutes of driving i became somewhat accustomed to it but i was wondering about everybody else's experience when learning to drive. how fast did you pick it up? how many tests did you take before you passed (both theory and driving)? how many lessons did you have? did you enjoy learning to drive?

i've seen a fair amount of people drive before and i'm now fascinated over how they do it without batting an eyelid drama.gif i have a friend who was a qualified driver 6 weeks after her 17th birthday and i also know of someone who had two lessons before passing on their first go. on the other hand i know somebody who has taken AND failed their theory test 16 *repeats for emphasis* yes 16 times!

EDIT: #fail tongue.gif can somebody please add an option to the poll for those who haven't had their test to select please? thanks <333

This post has been edited by *Callum™: Dec 8 2015, 12:55 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Dec 7 2015, 09:55 PM
Post #2
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

I failed in the final five minutes during my first test.

I've been involved in three driving incidents which still petrifies me on the road (only one was my fault xo)

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Dec 7 2015, 09:57 PM
Post #3
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Good luck with your tests Callum! happy.gif

I hope that one day I can learn to drive as it would make life so much easier but legally I'm not allowed to atm for medical reasons no.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Dec 7 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

16 times!!!!!!

I passed the theory test first time, I just used the DVSLA (i think thats the right acronym??) app, which cost £5 but literally had everything I needed to pass my test!

I started driving late September 2014, and just passed my test this November, it really was only until July this year though that I properly got the "hang" of it, it was just about perseverance for me because for the first few months i was TERRIFIED biggrin.gif

I did fail my first test though in October wink.gif It was going so well, until I completely panicked doing an uphill junction, then was still freaking out over that when I was asked to do a reverse manouvere and ended up on the wrong side of the road laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Dec 7 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #5
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(TheGrinch @ Dec 7 2015, 09:55 PM) *

One of my friends failed when driving back into the test centre kink.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Dec 7 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

For ages I was excited to learn to drive and planned to have my first lesson on my 17th birthday but closer to the time I started overthinking it and got a bit anxious about the thought of being behind the wheel. I've felt a little unsure for about a year now, I just don't think I'm ready yet due to self esteem. It's also others on the road, being in a car accident this year with my friend shook me up a bit, and also my mum's anxiety over driving on main roads has been a bit stressful. Mainly though, as self belief improves, I think I'll feel more comfortable with the fact that it's actually me driving and not having irrational thoughts about being terrible and causing accidents.

I'm starting to become a bit fed up with public transport so I *think* I'm going to push myself to start next year.

This post has been edited by Slade: Dec 7 2015, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
dancember
post Dec 7 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #7
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I failed my driving test three times so far. Twice in a manual then gave up and moved to automatic, yet still failed that. So frustrating when I know I can drive semi-well banghead.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Dec 7 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #8
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

Some people pick driving up quicker than others - just like anything. I stopped/started my lessons over the course of about 10 months, but I reckon I probably had about 40 hours worth of driving experience before I passed my test. Passed theory first time, and passed my practical second time.

Best advice I can say really is don't be put pressure on yourself. If you need more time to learn then you need more time to learn. Just remember that when you pass your test and you go on the road, there will no instructor to tell you what to do!

Driving is all about experience, it's confusing at first but it's all second nature to me now. The instructors teach you have to drive safely, and they're rightly overly cautious and very thorough about making sure you check your mirrors - of all the things they teach you, I think that's the most important - especially on motorways!

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post Dec 7 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Been driving nearly 6 years now! I picked it up pretty quickly I'd say but I did drive previously on private land to get a feel for it so I wasn't completely clueless on my first lesson. I did take many lessons and also practiced in my own car on a provisional licence but it all paid off as I passed first time!

They say you only properly learn to drive once you've passed and that's true of sorts. It becomes second nature quicker than a lot of people might imagine happy.gif

This post has been edited by Doboggan: Dec 7 2015, 10:10 PM

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Dec 7 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

I started learning to drive when I was 17, but I didn't pass my test until three years later lol (on my third try I think?). I passed the theory test with flying colors but where I live, literally the first part of the driving test is parallel parking and if you can't do that, the test just stops before you even get to any actual driving, and you fail. I failed parallel parking the first two times until the third time, when I finally did it perfectly.

Before I passed though, I'd already been driving for three years so I could drive well already. It was just the f***ing parallel parking that got me (and poor time management with regards to scheduling my exams~) drama.gif

And I f***ing love driving too. If I'm driving on backroads or a deserted highway at night, it's really therapeutic for me. And it's definitely something that you can't get right without a lot of practice. When you start out, a lot of the basic stuff can be difficult, like how much to turn the wheel so you don't overshoot or make too-wide turns, but they become intuitive once you've driven enough.

To this day, the only incident I've ever been involved in was when I slid into a snowbank last winter, but I've never been involved in anything with another driver, thankfully.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Dec 7 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #11
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

QUOTE(Santa @ Dec 7 2015, 10:00 PM) *
One of my friends failed when driving back into the test centre kink.gif

Yup that's when I failed :/

I got a really bad shaky left leg.

This post has been edited by TheGrinch: Dec 7 2015, 10:12 PM

+Quote Post
Hollyver
post Dec 7 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #12
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

Dan, I wouldn't do your test in an automatic unless you're planning on driving them for the rest of your life.

I passed my theory first time (I've always been under the impression that it's near enough impossible to fail it unless you're EXTREMELY unprepared (which is your own fault anyway)), but it took two times for me to pass the practical.

One of my mates passed on his 5th attempt, dread to think how much extra he paid for re-taking the tests, plus extra driving lessons in between! drama.gif

I'm driving an automatic at the minute but that's only because I want to move to Canada and thought it would be a lot harder than what it is, and thought I'd get some practice in. Will be going back to a manual next year some time.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Dec 7 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #13
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I took passing my test as a sort of personal goal, I got it on the 4th time and that was one of the best days of my life, especially as I was unlucky to come across things like tractors in my previous tests that threw me. But hey, more experience.

What's probably not very helpful is that I've barely driven since passing the test almost a year and a half ago, mainly due to not having a pressing need to. So if/when I re-step into the driver's seat I'm going to be very careful about shaking off my rustiness, and I've always been very careful in there anyway, because it's quite scary even though I've had several years of being a learner to sit behind the wheel, I don't take anything quickly when it comes to driving.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 7 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #14
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Didn't have the money to do so initially and by the time I felt ready I was going to uni, I knew I wouldn't be able to afforda car (parking permits for one!) to take with me, so never bothered.

+Quote Post
ks7_
post Dec 7 2015, 10:30 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 22,729
   No Gallery Pics

I still can't drive but I hope next year to star my driving lessons and get a license.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Dec 7 2015, 10:32 PM
Post #16
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

soz but failing to pass the test 15 times is probably a SIGN

QUOTE(TheGrinch @ Dec 8 2015, 12:55 AM) *

I've been involved in three driving incidents which still petrifies me on the road (only one was my fault xo)

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Dec 7 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #17
3:23
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

thankfully i passed first time shortly after my 17th birthday happy.gif ~ have never been without wheels since~

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Dec 7 2015, 10:38 PM
Post #18
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I love driving. It relaxes me and clears my mind.

I passed in February 2007 having started in September 2006. I had 16 lessons and passed both my practical and theory first time. I think I grasped it fairly quickly.

Ever since I was wee I was counting down the years until I could learn to drive. I didn't get my first car until i turned 21 though over 3 years after I passed my test. Still no accidents but I did get a speeding ticket in October of 2007 oops. Nearly got one on the M6 yesterday but the coppers pulled over a beemer instead and thank f***.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Dec 7 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I took lessons briefly (and even did a preparatory driving course for people with autism) and had a good instructor, but I kinda lost interest and am yet to actually take a test. But that's ok, I don't really have an ambition to drive (I live in London, so I can usually use public transport to get to where I need to go) and I'm a bit too nervous behind the wheel, so it's something I'd need to devote a lot of time and money too when I don't really have that atm. I'm torn whether to try Automatic or Manual, the latter is often way too much for me to think about when I'm focusing on driving. I'll probably take after my mum with this one (took her ten years to pass!).

My sister passed recently after failing the first few times with an intensive driving course over just a few lessons (and was taught by the man who taught Adele and members of One Direction how to drive!), if anyone's interested, it worked very well for her!

This post has been edited by Cheznuts: Dec 7 2015, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Dec 7 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #20
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

Passed both my theory and practical first time but I've been banned since February due to having an unexplained seizure, still awaiting the verdict from the DVLA sleep.gif

I also stalled during my practical but THANK THE LORD it was at a zebra crossing where I needed to stop cause of people and I was able to restart the car in time!

This post has been edited by TheVirginKlumary: Dec 7 2015, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 08:37 PM