BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lee Rigby murderer sues prison service for lost teeth, ...but does he deserve the compensation?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Dec 10 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

One of the men who murdered Fusilier Lee Rigby is seeking compensation after he lost two front teeth when he was restrained by prison officers.

Michael Adebolajo claimed five prison officers assaulted him at London's high-security Belmarsh prison two years ago, but they were cleared of blame.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said it would "robustly defend" the claim.

Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale are serving life for killing Fusilier Rigby near a London barracks in May 2013.

Quite a big story going round today as the murderer of Lee Rigby is now suing the prison service after officers apparently restrained him using excessive force, knocking two of his teeth out. The guards were suspended but later returned with no case against them. The murderers hacked Lee Rigby to death with knives and cleavers back in May 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35058076

It raises an interesting question about the treatment of prisoners, especially those that have committed as heinous crimes as this. Do they still deserve the same decent rights that all humans have? No doubt "the public will be rightly outraged at the thought of this man receiving compensation from the taxpayer" if it comes to it but should we show compassion (and in this case, a large lump-some of money) to people that have committed such crimes? What are your thoughts on the matter? ~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Dec 10 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #2
3:23
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

i assume this frivolous claim is being made at the tax payers' expense?! further legal aid cuts are clearly needed to discourage this kind of nonsense... adebolajo is a highly dangerous murderer, so resistance will be met with a robust response, the priority has to be the safety of those people who have the misfortune to deal with him during the course of their jobs~

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Dec 10 2015, 06:46 PM
Post #3
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Ethan @ Dec 10 2015, 07:37 PM) *
further legal aid cuts are clearly needed to discourage this kind of nonsense...

oh SHIT OFF you CLASSIST PRICK

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Dec 10 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Regardless of what he did, the prison service still has a duty of care. If they have failed in that duty, they may be liable to pay compensation.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Dec 10 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #5
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly, I'd rather let the trial go ahead rather than us presume that someone's de facto guilty or innocent either way. He's a vile murderer, but we hold ourselves to a standard in society that our prisoners are being punished with the loss of their freedom - not by being treated as a free-for-all for abuse by prison guards. I wouldn't be surprised if his case was rejected and the guards' actions were justified - I could see him being the violent type. But given how much force it takes to knock out two front teeth, it's definitely something worth of investigation. It's called the idea that every human has a right to justice. He's serving his time and receiving justice. Those who commit wrongs against another human being ought to receive justice also, regardless of whether or not they're being imprisoned.

I'm not sure I really agree with the idea of cash compensation for anything other than tooth replacement though.

----

In any case, legal aid cuts (when they're cut to the bone already) wouldn't be the solution. What option would you have available for a prisoner that had genuinely been wronged? We may laugh at two front teeth being knocked out, but cutting off justice from a prisoner who'd been raped, for example, would be grotesque. And that's before even getting on to how further cuts to legal aid would affect people outside of prison who depend on it - it's one of the few areas of government support that can legitimately be described as having been torn to shreds.

+Quote Post
kye
post Dec 10 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #6
• Aesthetic Party •
Member No.: 2,169

This supposedly happened while he was being restrained and no doubt causing grief and aggravation for the prison officers.
This man is a cold-blooded murderer and was having to be restrained using excessive force, which means he was putting up a fight. Accidents can happen in situations like this, regardless of their duty of care. If he hadn't struggled and had to have excessive force used, he wouldn't have lost his teeth. It would be a different story if they had every intention of kicking his teeth in, but even then I wouldn't feel sorry for him and I certainly wouldn't be interested in showing any compassion.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Dec 10 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #7
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Surely the fact that the officers were returned to work without a case against them means some investigation must have taken place during the suspension and it was found that no wrongdoing on their part had taken place?

If that's the case and further investigations show it happened due to his aggression and resistence, then he should receive zero compensation at all. Not even to replace the lost teeth.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Dec 19 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #8
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Scherz @ Dec 10 2015, 07:02 PM) *
This supposedly happened while he was being restrained and no doubt causing grief and aggravation for the prison officers.
This man is a cold-blooded murderer and was having to be restrained using excessive force, which means he was putting up a fight. Accidents can happen in situations like this, regardless of their duty of care. If he hadn't struggled and had to have excessive force used, he wouldn't have lost his teeth. It would be a different story if they had every intention of kicking his teeth in, but even then I wouldn't feel sorry for him and I certainly wouldn't be interested in showing any compassion.

Absolutely this.

He is a cold blooded extremist terrorist. He can't expect an easy ride.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 08:19 AM