BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Life after University
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGrinch
post Dec 11 2015, 02:50 PM
Post #1
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

The last month I've began struggling with what I'll do following University and how difficult / competitive it's going to be getting a job to the point where I almost feel like throwing up, I have no idea what I want to do with my life and at the age of 22 I'm beginning to hit the panic button.

We had a two hour lecture today on what we should be doing in the future / where to apply for jobs / the right techniques and templates to do, all I was looking forward to was returning to my bed. For everybody who went to university, how long was it before you knew what you wanted to do? How long after university did you jump straight into a job that suited your course.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Dec 11 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

I've no idea after college no.gif </3

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Dec 11 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #3
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

if it makes you feel any better I only know like a handful of people from my entire course that are actually now doing something they wanted to do, so basically you're not in it alone. most of us are still just working abroad / in bar jobs or whatever. I had visions of just graduating and walking straight into my dream job (which VERY nearly happened ��) but it's a jungle out there the few months after you've graduated

the bit I hated most was the couple months after trying to work out if living in London and struggling to actually have a life was worth it or not but then if moving sacrificing the higher odds of getting into an art related job. ended up coming back to Manchester which has definitely helped me save a load of money cos it's generally cheaper but I do always think of what woulda happened if I just stayed and hustled a bit longer tho I'm definitely now ready to take my game to Europe.

This post has been edited by 🌚🌚🌚: Dec 11 2015, 03:10 PM

+Quote Post
Davidson
post Dec 11 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,847
   No Gallery Pics

i ignore that life after uni is actually a thing.

thank f*** for scottish degrees being 4 years rather than 3 (well, to be fair it does take us longer to take things in soooo)

+Quote Post
M.
post Dec 11 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I have struggled with this kind of stuff forever. The things I'm studying now are okay and I'm good at them, but I always feel like there's something else out there waiting for me that I'm just not jumping into. For ages I was thinking I want to be a musician, but realistically speaking, I can't exactly see it working out tbh unless I truly get my shit together and sitting here now I'm not even sure that is what I wanna do. It doesn't help that I don't exactly have the best social skills in the world which is going to be a disadvantage in life.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Dec 11 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #6
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I finished my Masters in September (I'm not technically graduated yet but I finished all assignments) so fully in the real world now, I must be honest that so far, it kinda sucks sad.gif I'm mainly looking for short term internships and temporary customer service roles to get by but even they're hard, doesn't help I'm not 100% on what I wanna do yet (the film/media area is of course extremely challenging and I don't really have many contacts so I'm looking for alternatives I can manage). I have some work experience and a good academic record, but my extremely limited social skills and the fact I get uncontrollable nerves during interviews (and being surrounded by many people in full time jobs and careers, even my younger sister's somehow in a 30k a year role) have made it such a challenge, a lot of rejections/opportunities falling through as well which have been hard. I've been doing as much voluntary/temporary work as I can do to fill my time and I've got enough money to get by, but I'm not really in a place I want to be atm and I'm a bit of a loss of where to go going into the new year.

Despite all this, I'm being optimistic that something will come along and I can find something that I can do for the new year to start afresh when there's more opportunities for work, I mean it's only coming up to the three month mark since I finished which isn't atrocious. I'm just taking the first steps atm and staying hopeful I'll find that light at the end of the tunnel soon. It's not like I was under the illusion that I'd walk straight into a job I loved.

This post has been edited by Cheznuts: Dec 11 2015, 05:55 PM

+Quote Post
Riser
post Dec 11 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #7
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

Once a year had gone by and I still didn't have a job I was definitely getting discouraged, gradually giving up on looking for work and looking into getting a Master's or a graduate certificate. Then I was suddenly contacted about a job from a few months prior, where I wasn't chosen but the person they hired changed his mind and it was offered to me instead. That was on a Saturday, I accepted the offer on Monday and started on Tuesday. It was surreal to wait 13 months and then have everything fall into place so quickly.

It's only part-time though so I decided to apply for grad school as well. So many of the jobs I wanted to apply for required GIS experience which I didn't have, so I'm getting a certificate in that to be more qualified in my field. It works out pretty well, between the job and school I'm sure one of the two will get me into a full-time job. I'm hoping for a full-time offer with my current job, because it'd be nice to go as long as I can without having to job search again.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Dec 11 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not panicking myself about it even though I do only have a few months left of my course. I'm not going to rush into any decision just for the sake of it, as I half did that when choosing to go to University. I'm glad I did, but my reason behind doing so 3 years ago was mainly just because everyone else was doing it and I didn't know what else to do.

If it takes me a few months after Uni for me to decide where I want to go and what I want to do then I'm happy with that whether it be looking for a job or doing a post-graduate or whatever else, in the meantime I will definitely want to visit a few places anyway so that'll be a nice opportunity to do so. I just want to finish my course first before I start deciding anything else, I don't want to pressure myself with sorting out my career as well as doing my course at the same time - some of my friends are doing this (and I guess a lot of people do) and they seem rushed off their feet!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 11 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Sympathies thats how i felt after my degree. Im still waiting to do a job i want to do, 35 years on... sad.gif

I gave it a go with journalism and music journalism but no luck.

To be honest any job is more helpful than no jpb, trust me! If you find something you fancy go for it guns blazing cos employers love enthusiasm and people who make the effort, do homwork on it. Even if you have no idea taking one job can lead to a better job.

Getting a good job is a race and competitive, sadly sad.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Dec 11 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #10
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Uni/college can tell you everything, but it's tough out there and don't let anyone tell you it's not. I hate to be brutal, but if you have limited experience then it's really really tough. Unfortunately a lot of "dream jobs" you either have to be in the very top 1%, be extremely lucky, or have contacts. From my experience, if you have none of those three then you're best off falling in to a job and then if you still have those ambitions, have a career change 3-5 years down the line.

I still have no idea what I want to do if that helps. I'm incredibly lucky in that I'm in a job that I really enjoy and I'm learning fundamental transferable skills everyday. I've great support and I'm making a real difference to a massive global company. But it was tough / a stroke of luck that I got in to the company, and then ended up in my current role. My degree has jack all to do with my role haha.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Dec 11 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #11
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

This is about 80% of the reason why I am currently exceedingly stressed. Trying not to bore everyone/give you my life story, school/college/uni work has always been important to me and when I'm having my bad days I've sometimes felt like it's all I'm good at, so naturally the very real fact of its ending is upsetting for me, on top of the whole "never going to get a better job than a checkout assistant" cycle of thought. I've tempered this somewhat through applying for a Masters which at the very least will buy me some time to get some kind of plan in place whilst I can still do what I really enjoy with uni but it's an unavoidable demon in the long term.

Basically, I'm still a child, pls don't make me adult.

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Dec 11 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #12
Shakin Stevens
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Aye it's shite growing up. I work in the social housing sector and see how hard people can find getting things together, makes it harder with the survival of the fittest Tory economy we live in.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 11 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(LeXmas @ Dec 11 2015, 10:40 PM) *
This is about 80% of the reason why I am currently exceedingly stressed. Trying not to bore everyone/give you my life story, school/college/uni work has always been important to me and when I'm having my bad days I've sometimes felt like it's all I'm good at, so naturally the very real fact of its ending is upsetting for me, on top of the whole "never going to get a better job than a checkout assistant" cycle of thought. I've tempered this somewhat through applying for a Masters which at the very least will buy me some time to get some kind of plan in place whilst I can still do what I really enjoy with uni but it's an unavoidable demon in the long term.

Basically, I'm still a child, pls don't make me adult.

Same. I loved uni with a passion. I also still dont want to be an adult its crappy having responsibilities so i try to not grow up whenever i get an opportunity in amongst the unavoidable. Just refuse to conform as much as you can cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Dec 11 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #14
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

I'm fortunate enough to get a job in IT two weeks after graduating from my IT course, but the company is a shambles and I'm regretting rushing into the first job I could get my hands on in relation to IT. I'm more inclined now to take a year out, maybe do some night classes on something more specific within IT and get another qualification, then just work a normal job whilst trying to get a job in that specific field.

At least then I'll have had a few years in a proper job and had some experience in the working environment.

+Quote Post
152chris
post Dec 11 2015, 11:49 PM
Post #15
down with jakewild
Member No.: 10,105
   No Gallery Pics

*feels a crisis coming on* \ *moves to a different country*

me

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Dec 12 2015, 12:36 AM
Post #16
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I'm not leaving uni. Ever. (nah I couldn't do a PhD, although I said I wasn't going to do a Masters and here I am)

I will probably start the search at some point before finishing to try and get a bit ahead, once I figure out where to start and get used to the whole job application process as something I can tolerate rather than going back to procrastinating as soon as I start one. It's certainly something I'm concerned about.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Dec 12 2015, 03:03 AM
Post #17
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I'm only in my second year of uni so I still have a couple of years left before I need to think about finding a job as a graphic designer, if I get into the next year of my course that is unsure.gif so I'm more panicking about what I will do if I don't as most other universities have the same requirements to transfer into 3rd year as the place I'm at currently, so there's not even much point applying to a few places as a back up (at my uni you study the HND first and then the final two years of the degree so a place on the degree course isn't guaranteed if you don't get a B in the graded unit).

We're constantly being told how competitive the creative industries field is so that freaks me out thinking what it will be like after I graduate, ideally I'd want a job or internship or something that's within a big company so I have the chance to build up some kind of client/contact list should I ever find myself having to go self-employed. Starting up my own business is the goal one day but it's definitely not what I want to do as soon as I leave uni as I probably won't have a clue where to start and will have minimal experience. I guess that's one plus side to being a designer though, self-employment is more of an option compared to other fields.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 09:16 AM