BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christmas Traditions
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
5 Silas Frøkner
post Dec 22 2015, 01:04 AM
Post #1
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I'm trying to kick start my festive mood seeing as the weirdly warm weather has put a bit of a downer on things so far.

What are your Christmas Traditions?

In our house we always have what we call a 'pick n mix tea' on Christmas Eve/Christmas day/Boxing Day that usually involved party food, salad, ham/leftover turkey, fresh bread and lots of other nibbles. Main event is obviously the Christmas Lunch (where we have both Roast and Croquette potatoes, mainly at my insistence on the latter.). We live quite far away from family so it's usually just the four of us + my Grandad comes up from down south more often than not. I don't know if I could cope with a big full on family christmas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Dec 22 2015, 11:56 AM
Post #2
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely have something similar to a pick and mix tea!

With me, I always have to watch the same Christmas films and TV specials every year. I've been watching Elf, The Santa Clause, Love Actually, Nativity and the Grinch this week and TV wise Gavin and Stacey, Blackadder's Christmas Carol, Raymond Braggs' Snowman and Father Christmas.

Also the GOD of all things Christmas is the Good Life Christmas special.

Made over a decade before I existed and extremely dated but it is Christmas.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Dec 22 2015, 12:12 PM
Post #3
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

My sister and I always wake up early (the only day of the year I will voluntarily wake up early) and watch the Miranda Christmas special before we can wake our parents up at 7am laugh.gif I'm 18 and she's 16 but on Christmas morning it's more like 8 and 6 kink.gif Watching the Doctor Who Christmas special is of course of utmost importance too and is something I do each year then moan when I can't hear it cause everyone's talking :') (thank god for more than one TV in the house now)

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Dec 22 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 22 2015, 12:12 PM) *
Watching the Doctor Who Christmas special is of course of utmost importance too and is something I do each year then moan when I can't hear it cause everyone's talking :') (thank god for more than one TV in the house now)

It's the same in my house when Eastenders is on! laugh.gif My dad is silent all the way through an hour-long Emmerdale and Corrie, but suddenly there's a whole world of things to talk about when EE is on (which is usually the most dramatic and watch-worthy out of the soaps on Christmas Day).

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Dec 22 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #5
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh I watch the same xmas specials i love each december - namely Home Alone 1&2, National Lampoons Christmas, Its a Wonderful Life & then on xmas eve when everyone goes to bed i put an extra log on the fire, open a box of pringles (have to be salt & vinegar) and a tin of coke and light the christmas eve yankee candle and watch Santa Claus the Movie which i loved when i was younger.

Also watch Gavin & Stacey, The Snowman, The Father Christmas and Father Ted Christmassy Ted which is generally on rte at 10pm on xmas eve.

We also go to our local for a pint, a mince pie and listen to carols at 6ish on xmas eve and before going back up for the pick & mix style dinner mentioned above - we usually have totps xmas special on in the background too.

So cheesy and yet my fav parts of the year biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Dec 22 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Christmas meal, but this time we are having qworn instead of real meat as my mum has gone veggie,
Opening presents in the morning at like 8:00, poor thyself got to be woke up hours earlier than usual sob.gif
Last Christmas was the first one without my gran as she passed away July of last year but when we had a tv we would watch several Christmas movies and of course DOCTOR WHO wub.gif one of my favourite highlights of Christmas how sad is that heehee.gif

This post has been edited by Mace Spindu: Dec 22 2015, 01:31 PM

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Dec 22 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #7
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Christmas Eve we usually order in a Chinese, that will probably be the case again this year since I won't be at my parents until quite late on Christmas Eve and we're having Christmas Day at ours so my dad likely wont feel like cooking on Christmas Eve.

We have the tradition on Christmas Day where my dad will go down stairs and check if Santa has been, put on all the tree lights etc and then shout us down, this still happens despite me and Cameron being 19 laugh.gif We will all then get a cup of tea and open our presents, have a chilled out morning and then get ourselves ready for family coming round for dinner. It's my mums side of the family that comes over on Christmas Day, so just my auntie, uncle and cousin really, we alternate who has Christmas day at theirs each year. Boxing day we used to spend with my dad's side (well one of his sisters and her family) but a few years ago we decided to push that back to New Years Day, and again we alternate on who has it at theirs, it's our turn for that this year too laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Dec 22 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I touched on this a lil' in the weekend plans threads, but the one tradition I absolutely love about Christmas is the annual board games marathon that my family have! I particularly love getting out Trivial Pursuit, hooray for geekery. laugh.gif

Christmas TV is also quite cool too, especially Top of The Pops. <3

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Dec 22 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

This is the first a Christmas ever that I'm not staying over at my parents. Was seriously like sardines last year and I am 27 years old. I will wake up in my flat, get dressed and drive 10 mins down the road to my mum and dad's to have breakfast and open presents with them, my sister and my brother who will have walked 5 mins from his new house down the road. My grandparents will arrive for lunch and will stay the night this year as I'll go home and my sister will stay at my brother's that night so there will be room.

Also this is my first Christmas since 1998 without my dog, Jack. There will be little Jake there for the first time but I'll still miss Jack.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Dec 22 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #10
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Talking during Doctor Who is one of the Seven Deadly Sins really. Thankfully our family repsect the tradition of watching the Christmas Doctor Who special properly, looking forward to it dance.gif

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Dec 22 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #11
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Xmas Tree Boy @ Dec 22 2015, 05:20 PM) *
This is the first a Christmas ever that I'm not staying over at my parents. Was seriously like sardines last year and I am 27 years old. I will wake up in my flat, get dressed and drive 10 mins down the road to my mum and dad's to have breakfast and open presents with them, my sister and my brother who will have walked 5 mins from his new house down the road. My grandparents will arrive for lunch and will stay the night this year as I'll go home and my sister will stay at my brother's that night so there will be room.

Also this is my first Christmas since 1998 without my dog, Jack. There will be little Jake there for the first time but I'll still miss Jack.

I remember you mentioned this last yr, I won't be at home this yr for the first time as I'm going to my fiancée house for lunch. It's quite sad, like my childhood has officially ended and I'm 32 lol.

On another note does anyone actually have mass/church as a tradition at Christmas anymore considering that's the point of the holiday lol?

+Quote Post
dancember
post Dec 22 2015, 11:19 PM
Post #12
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Christmaseve201 @ Dec 22 2015, 11:12 PM) *
On another note does anyone actually have mass/church as a tradition at Christmas anymore considering that's the point of the holiday lol?
my granddad goes to church on Christmas cos he's proper religious but no-one else in the family does.

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Dec 22 2015, 11:20 PM
Post #13
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

If I was at home is go to please my ma but I never do at any other time!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Dec 23 2015, 04:24 AM
Post #14
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

I don't have much in terms of specific traditions but the routine has been the same every year of my life: Christmas Eve with mom's side of the family, Christmas Day with dad's side of the family, and then Christmas night with my mom's extended family. On both sides we have a gift exchange, and my grandparents get a custom-made calendar with family photos that's always fun to look at. We've hosted Christmas night for several years now which I really enjoy, especially when there's enough leftover food to last until New Year's. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Christmaseve201 @ Dec 22 2015, 06:12 PM) *
Despite going to church every Sunday it's not part of my Christmas routine, although I have gone on Christmas Eve last year and this year to play Silent Night with the chimes choir.

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Dec 23 2015, 07:46 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

My family is Filipino and we have a Nochebuena every year, which is basically a feast on Christmas Eve followed by the opening of presents at midnight. Christmas for me was always kind of just the hangover from the night before, and that's why I always looked forward to Christmas Eve more than Christmas as a kid. tongue.gif

When we lived in the Philippines, we also had Simbang Gabi, where you go to church every day during the nine days preceding Christmas. It probably sounds like hell to most of you and it would be hell to me now, but I was little when my family would go so I only really have fond memories of it. After moving to the US, my dad would go to the local Simbang Gabi that the Filipino community in our local parish holds, but my mom couldn't as she worked nights, and my dad never forced me and my sister to go with him (thank God), but we still had to go to Christmas mass.

This post has been edited by dhwe: Dec 23 2015, 07:49 AM

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Dec 23 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Every year I have to watch the 1974 Christmas edition of Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em, Jessica's First Christmas. I have the entire series box set but it was on BBC2 again on Sunday. Frank Spencer is a legend and so funny. dance.gif

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Dec 23 2015, 08:21 AM

+Quote Post
mdh
post Dec 23 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #17
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

(for a start I haven't put up my christmas tree yet so laugh.gif)

Christmas eve I usually eat with one side of my family, and Christmas day I spend the morning at home and then go to my in-laws for dinner.

And I don't specifically watch anything every year, except my mum will probably force me into watching downton abbey so..

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Dec 23 2015, 09:34 AM
Post #18
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Oh we have so many at this point the whole 3 day period is planned out without any gaps. None of them are particularly special/unique though. We usually have a party style/buffet dinner on Christmas Eve and then everyone gets to open one small present and we have a family games tournament (where my inability to play Mario Kart always f***s me over).

Christmas day is basically the usual, up early for presents, Christmas dinner, loads of TV, doing f*** all. Then Boxing day we have a big family get together (about 30 people usually) which is always good fun and basically just means there's loads of stuff going on all day/watching whatever movie's BBC1 have on.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Dec 24 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #19
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Getting a present on Christmas Eve, just got the most adorable pair of slippers wub.gif

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Dec 24 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #20
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

My sister and I have started splitting money to buy presents for our entire family and it's usually a task to buy each other's tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 07:50 PM