BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drag culture...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
RobBob
post Dec 22 2015, 02:05 PM
Post #1
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

DRAG CULTURE

This stemmed, as many of my topic ideas do, from a discussion with other members on the site where it brought up the whole idea of people "not getting" drag, thinking it's fake / forced / not particularly funny.

I know if you'd have asked me about this 12 months ago, I'd have said "I didn't get it", but fast forward 12 months and RuPaul's Drag Race is one of my favourite programmes around and I'm constantly watching spin-off videos on WOW Presents.

It's seemingly becoming a bigger and bigger thing as the years go on, largely because of Drag Race and while I don't imagine any of you are "transphobic" or anything of the sort, I'm interested to see where you stand on liking them or not, whether you get the humour that goes behind it etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Dec 22 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

do i even need to reply to this LOL

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Dec 22 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #3
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

QUOTE( jerusalina @ Dec 22 2015, 02:31 PM) *
do i even need to reply to this LOL

Well, I know there's plenty who are huge fans but it's definitely not to be said of the whole site and I'm sure there's some discussion to be had about it. We've had it plenty of times before I was interested!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Dec 22 2015, 02:36 PM
Post #4
Mansonette
Group: Members
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I don't particularly get it tbh... I tried watching a few episodes of the Drag Race after you guys were all raving about it but it didn't click with me at all, I didn't find it funny or interesting.

I can safely say that I have never encountered nor even vaguely heard anyone refer to Drag Culture outside of Buzzjack also, I wouldn't have thought it was even vaguely close to being a thing that has truly infiltrated UK culture? But maybe I'm just not seeing it?

This post has been edited by dandy*: Dec 22 2015, 02:36 PM

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Dec 22 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member

i obviously very much love drag and i think it's a wonderful art. HOWEVER my stance on it has changed as well over the last 12 months much like yours.

i used to really scared of drag queens and i remember watching rupaul videos when i was younger and thought the whole concept was strange and actually kind of arrogant, and that's not something that i really invested in because i detest arrogant people. i think my first real taste of being INVESTED in something drag related was this video - the song mixed with the video just totally kinda captured me which obviously for a 14 year old from scotland was kind of a bit to process but i became obsessed with the whole idea:

i then started to see videos online on youtube (that weird part etc) which i found out years later to be clips from rupaul's drag U (so this must've been years later) and then i bit the bullet and started watching season 5 whilst it was on and i just ended up loving it, and i watched backwards and got completely up to date and have been really hooked on it since. however people did what i managed to do and EVERYONE ended up watching season 6 and 7 and now everyone and their dog does drag.

not that that should be problematic i just find that the drag scene is now just a bitchy retread of the bad things that the gay community stands for with lots of lazy cookie cutter ideas being thrown around. i feel that it totally sucks the fun out of it.

+Quote Post
AaronTM
post Dec 22 2015, 02:47 PM
Post #6
salty foods parch the human
Member No.: 4,631

I think I'm of the same opinion. I didn't really 'get' drag queens, I generally didn't find them funny or understand what makes someone want to become a drag queen. But over the last year or so, I've been forced to watch RuPaul's Drag Race and now I love it. It's impressive to see the thought and effort that goes into putting together their looks. I also see how it's a good way for some of them to express themselves and be who they want to be without and boundaries or repression.

I think it's a very niche culture and not everyone understands it, even people who are LGBT, so I think it must be difficult being a drag queen sometimes. It's good that Drag Race is bringing the culture into the mainstream. Obviously Paul O'Grady and RuPaul have been around and on TV for a long time, but it's good to see 'normal' people who do drag getting exposure too.

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Dec 22 2015, 02:47 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dandy* @ Dec 22 2015, 02:36 PM) *
I don't particularly get it tbh... I tried watching a few episodes of the Drag Race after you guys were all raving about it but it didn't click with me at all, I didn't find it funny or interesting.

I can safely say that I have never encountered nor even vaguely heard anyone refer to Drag Culture outside of Buzzjack also, I wouldn't have thought it was even vaguely close to being a thing that has truly infiltrated UK culture? But maybe I'm just not seeing it?

i think you'd really love the aesthetic side of drag, maybe not the whole lipsyncing idea and the culture around it but as a visual art it can be astonishing - if you google Kim Chi Drag Queen she's pretty much one of the best examples of really high class looking drag.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Dec 22 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #8
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

to be honest, I don't really know much about drag culture (other than a girl at my school started using pritstick on her eyebrows). although I was watching the tyger takes on documentary the other day where he becomes a drag queen to perform at a club, they showed all of them getting ready for this night and i thought the effort they put in was incredible, and there seemed like such a science to getting the perfect look.

reading all of your comments here has got me tempted to start watching drag race!! maybe i'll comment again here in a few weeks time tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Dec 22 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Santa @ Dec 22 2015, 03:06 PM) *
to be honest, I don't really know much about drag culture (other than a girl at my school started using pritstick on her eyebrows).

! WHAT

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Dec 22 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member

BTW I just want to say on the topic of Alaska Thunderf*** she is now probably my favourite drag queen at this point. She's one of the examples of someone who ticks EVERY single box - amazing looks, amazing personality (so genuine and endearing), plus she's probably the only one who's released music that I'm REALLY interested in (RuPaul aside ofc).

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Dec 22 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #11
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE( jerusalina @ Dec 22 2015, 03:12 PM) *
! WHAT

i'm not going to lie she didn't do it very successfully. you could see all the peely bits of glue around her eyebrows

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Dec 22 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #12
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

I never used to get it at all, and sometimes I still don't, but ever since Plug and Dubtrack, because I log in through my Facebook it changes my recommended videos when I log into YouTube so there are a lot WOW Presents videos because they have been played on Plug/Dubtrack.

I absolutely love Willam though, I think he's hilarious! Also quite like Bianca Del Rio as well, but haven't seen much of anything else and I haven't watched Drag Race.

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Dec 22 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Everyone should look into Christeene, i think she is an absolute masterclass in character keeping and makes me REALLY laugh.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Dec 22 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #14
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

I dont get it. My two friends love RuPaul's Drag Race and it just comes across as astoundingly bitchy. Why is it that a higher proportion of gay men than straight men are entertained by bitchiness?

The Drag Race is all the worst parts of reality tv - manipulative editing to exaggerate reactions and people interested in being famous for the sake of it.

It seems that their lives depend on making someone else feel worse about themselves.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Dec 22 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #15
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

One of my best friends is obsessed with all things Drag Race so I've been exposed a little through that, though not really enough to have a proper opinion yet. The music to come from it though can be quite hit-or-miss for me. HOWEVER some of Violet Chachki's material (Bettie + Vanguard *.*) and 'Sissy That Walk' are really good examples of it being great.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Dec 22 2015, 04:57 PM
Post #16
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Quite clearly not for me. From what I've heard of RuPaul's Drag Race, the music is pretty terrible, and I can't empathise with the drag characters. I mean, whatever they want to do, whatever other people want to like, I know some people hold it dear but it's a part of pop culture I'm not interested in in the slightest.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Dec 22 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #17
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I don't get it at all (in terms of the over-the-top Drag Race culture). I don't find it funny in the slightest, nor is it intellectually stimulating, nor is it exciting. I just see people trying desparately to be funny but ultimately failing for me. Or trying to be confident in themselves but really just being rude to others.

That is just the drag culture that is thrown at me in the media. I go to gay clubs often and drag queens there can be more to my taste, particularly when they talk about why they are doing it or their art but the over the top, annoying, in your face ones I don't warm to or find funny at all.

It's like Miranda, she's not funny and just tries too hard for me. That's how I see Drag Race and the various youtube clips I have seen from similar ventures.

(This isn't me big drag phobic before people like Lex say I am again, I admire people that do it for the brazen confidence it takes and I appreciate others will find it funny, and won't find the likes of 'Frasier' funny but that is down to personal taste).

+Quote Post
Colm
post Dec 22 2015, 05:46 PM
Post #18
Yes, it's me.

I'm not drag phobic. I dont have a problem with what anyone else finds entertaining if it hurts no one. I've seen enough to know that I dont hate it, nor do I love it either,

+Quote Post
Colm
post Dec 22 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #19
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(GingerbreadHaus @ Dec 22 2015, 05:03 PM) *
It's like Miranda, she's not funny and just tries too hard for me.

Miranda is very mannered and when something or someone mannered doesn't come across as funny then it comes across as trying too hard.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Dec 22 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #20
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE( jerusalina @ Dec 22 2015, 02:47 PM) *
i think you'd really love the aesthetic side of drag, maybe not the whole lipsyncing idea and the culture around it but as a visual art it can be astonishing - if you google Kim Chi Drag Queen she's pretty much one of the best examples of really high class looking drag.

yes, I googled and I can see the appeal of an images like these:

They do appeal my liking of anything that is stylised.

I'm with Tony though that I find the more prominent side of drag culture is the bitchy put downs that simply aren't that funny to me, plus I do generally dislike things that portray alternate sexualities and images as being 'difficult' (for want of a much better word that I can't currently put my finger on) as I know that they aren't really and it frustrates me that they can make it more difficult for people who are just trying to live normal day to day lives to fit in. I guess drag is currently where homosexuality was back in the 70s and 80s, portrayed by the media as being OTT and difficult to relate to, and you don't really get to see or hear about the people behind the image.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 04:03 AM