BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your favourite albums of 2015
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Davidson
post Dec 23 2015, 12:07 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,847
   No Gallery Pics

so it's the time of the year when all the critics are releasing their lists of their favourite albums of the year, so it left me wondering, what were your personal favourites? good way in seeing any gems that you may have missed and to see what everyone has been listening to all year round. doing it in here seeing as it is good to have a list that isn't just situated in one genre.

here are my list for the year just been:

10. Ciara - Jackie

Although a lot of people may have loved 'Ciara' a tad more than this, I would have to say I believe this to be her most mature effort to date. She certainly hasn't been an album type artist up to this point for me, but this is a more than solid R&B record, with some real highlights throughout. A pleasant surprise.

09. Vince Staples - Summertime '06

The only hip-hop album this year to hold a candle to Kendrick at all was the debut album from Vince Staples. Fantasticly confident record throughout. I would be surprised if he didn't join the Kendrick/J-Cole type group in the near future.

08. Josef Salvat - Night Swim

Can't wait for this to get an international release soon, more people need to hear this special album. Definitely the most melodic and catchy male pop offering this year.

07. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass

So after seeing the mass critical acclaim for this back in January I thought I'd give it a listen. Despite it not being my normal thing, I've not been able to look back since. The whole record sounds so timeless and almost like a classic record but in the modern day. Gives me Dusty Springfield vibes throughout and her vocals are gorgeous. 'My Baby Don't Understand Me' is definitely in my top 3 songs of the year too.

06. V V - Glitch

So dropping the Brown from her name did not prove to have any effect on the musical quality, and V V released another incredible and under-rated album this year. Admittedly it wasn't quite on the level of 'Samson & Delilah', but then again, what is? She just doesn't stop delivering.

05. Florence & The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

I have always had a love/hate relationship with Florence up until this album. By far and away her most established work so far, it was as if she finally worked out all of the best parts of her artistry and put them together finally.

04. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Arguably the most important album of 2015. With the Ferguson situation and all of the social context around it, this album felt needed - it was just the right album by the right person at the right time. Lovely neo-soul and jazz influences throughout, along with perfect story-telling as always from Kendrick made it a real gem.

03. Adele - 25

The album that took 2015 by a mile. Obviously it's only been released for 5 weeks but the success seen by '25' is like never seen before, and I am so happy for her. Her most mature and well-rounded album so far for me. I love how she kept so closely to what she does best but it still managed to feel like a massive artistic progression.

02. Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show

Released back in early January, I remember thinking that the album would be hard to be beat for my favourite of the year already, and I was right. Jazmine's third album is certainly my favourite thing she has ever released, despite her first two albums being R&B staples in my collection. It is just great fun, experimental compared to her previous work and superbly crafted. A lovely score of 85 on metacritic agrees with me.

01. Janet Jackson - Unbreakable

The legend returned. Janet has always been one of my all time favourite artists but even I can admit she had really lost what made her so special over the last couple of albums, well up until 'Unbreakable' at least. It is an album filled with intent and purpose, with a point to prove if you will. Somehow it managed to feel both old school and fresh at the same time, keeping every inch of spark she had back in the day. My favourite album from Janet since 'The Velvet Rope' back in 1997 and my favourite album of the year.

So, what are your favourites biggrin.gif?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob S
post Dec 23 2015, 12:13 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

Adele's 25 & Ella Eyre - Feline are both my favourite albums this year, especially Ella's wub.gif

This post has been edited by Rob's Sleigh: Dec 23 2015, 12:13 AM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Dec 23 2015, 12:35 AM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Just 2013 were Avicii - Stories, Alesso - Forever, Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion, Ellie Goulding - Delirium and Galantis - Pharmacy were my top 5 music.gif

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Dec 23 2015, 12:47 AM
Post #4
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Drones
Emotion
Get Weird (Probably my favourite)
I Am
Honeymoon (even though it is disappointing)
My Love Is Cool
Sucker
Title

1989 has been the album I've listened to by far the most this year though wub.gif

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Dec 23 2015, 12:53 AM
Post #5
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I always find it impossible to order songs and albums for some reason but I think mine would be something like this:

albums
01 Future 'DS2'
02 Jamie xx 'In Colour'
03 Ciara 'Jackie'
04 Drake 'If You're Reading This It's Too Late'
05 Justin Bieber 'Purpose'
06 Miguel 'Wildheart'
07 Carly Rae Jepsen 'E•MO•TION'
08 Rae Sremmurd 'SremmLife'
09 Grimes 'Art Angels'
10 Jeremih 'Late Nights'

songs
01 Rihanna 'Bitch Better Have My Money'
02 Future 'Though It Was a Drought'
03 Selena Gomez 'Good For You' (feat. A$AP Rocky)
04 Kanye West 'All Day'
05 Jamie xx 'I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)' (feat. Popcaan & Young Thug)
06 Jeremih 'Planez' (feat. J Cole)
07 Janet Jackson 'No Sleeep'
08 Ciara 'I Bet'
09 Tinashe 'Party Favors' (feat. Young Thug)
10 Major Lazer 'Night Riders' (feat. Travi$ Scott, 2 Chainz, Pusha T & Mad Cobra)

Pretty dominated by more urban stuff this year for me, especially Future and Ciara 💔
The underperformance of 'E•MO•TION' is definitely the most undeserved (and somewhat shocking?!) - such a strong album, should've done at least as well as 1989 to be honest!

+Quote Post
Davidson
post Dec 23 2015, 01:00 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I so wanted to put 'Wildheart' on my list but it wouldn't have been honest to as I have actually hardly listened to it this year. Such a shame as 'Kaleidoscope Dream' is still one of my favourite albums of the last 5 years and the follow up was one of my most antipated releases this year but for some reason I just haven't managed to get into 'Wildheart' at all. Maybe I need to give it another spin, I'm so willing to properly love it sad.gif

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Dec 23 2015, 01:08 AM
Post #7
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

My top 10 of the year:

1 Troye Sivan - Blue Neighbourhood
2 Years & Years - Communion
3 Justin Bieber - Purpose
4 Ulrik Munther - Allt jag ville säga
5 The Vamps - Wake Up
6 James Bay - Chaos and the Calm
7 One Direction - Made In the A.M.
8 Lucie Silvas - Letters To Ghosts
9 Meghan Trainor - Title
10 5 Seconds of Summer - Sounds Good Feels Good

Just gonna be lazy and copy what I wrote in my EOY thread about Troye's album as I don't think I can explain why I love that album better than I did there:

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 15 2015, 05:10 PM) *
Troye Sivan was a name I was interested in to some degree following the pretty good TRXYE EP, although I wasn't a massive stan then, so when the WILD EP came around, the title track took me by surprise, pleasantly. It clicked right away and the incredible video helped too. The rest of the EP grew on repeated listens, with each song hitting me at a different moment. Then the album got announced, after a video for FOOLS which was even better than that of WILD. I was very excited for the album and it didn't disappoint. YOUTH, for him., SUBURBIA and others are all pretty insane tracks. The entire album is so strong and cohesive though, and its UK chart peak of #43 is incredibly unjustified. Troye's music is honest, he makes no secret of the fact that it's about boys, and he knows exactly who he is as both a person and an artist, and it's incredibly refreshing for someone so young. The breakout story of the year for me for sure.

And I can't recommend his video trilogy enough, for those who aren't familiar with him:

YES at the Jackie mention, Davidson. That was 16th in my list, a fantastic album. I've only heard that and Ciara out of her albums and it's definitely the one I prefer of the two.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Dec 23 2015, 01:10 AM
Post #8
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Davidson @ Dec 23 2015, 01:00 AM) *
I so wanted to put 'Wildheart' on my list but it wouldn't have been honest to as I have actually hardly listened to it this year. Such a shame as 'Kaleidoscope Dream' is still one of my favourite albums of the last 5 years and the follow up was one of my most antipated releases this year but for some reason I just haven't managed to get into 'Wildheart' at all. Maybe I need to give it another spin, I'm so willing to properly love it sad.gif

Haha I'm basically the opposite. I always thought I should love 'Kaleidoscope Heart' because it's the sort of thing I usually would, but there was just something missing. 'Wildheart' is in a whole different league to me! Odd though, we usually have pretty similar taste in things!

+Quote Post
Davidson
post Dec 23 2015, 01:20 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cremey @ Dec 23 2015, 01:10 AM) *
Haha I'm basically the opposite. I always thought I should love 'Kaleidoscope Heart' because it's the sort of thing I usually would, but there was just something missing. 'Wildheart' is in a whole different league to me! Odd though, we usually have pretty similar taste in things!

laugh.gif is 'Kaleidoscope Heart' a mash up of the two?

That is funny we are the opposite on that one. I don't know what it is, but it is that same 'something's missing' thing, which is strange that I have after getting into him as an artist so massively beforehand. Oh well, at least we can appreciate an album each and that way they both get some kind of appreciation laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Colm
post Dec 23 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #10
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

Froo-hoo-hoo-hooot.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Dec 23 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #11
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

top 5 in no particular order:

Above & Beyond - We Are All We Need
Alesso - Forever
Avicii - Stories
Disclosure - Caracal
Jess Glynne - I Cry When I Laugh

my #1 is deffo Avicii though

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Dec 23 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #12
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

01 Revival - Selena Gomez
02 Nine - Samantha Jade
03 Everything Is 4 - Jason Derülo
04 25 - Adele
05 Purpose - Justin Bieber
06 Title - Meghan Trainor
07 Jackie - Ciara
08 Reflection - Fifth Harmony
09 I Am - Leona Lewis
10 Get Weird - Little Mix

Honourable mentions in no particular order: Demon Lovato, Madonna, The Weeknd, Little Mix, Yellow Claw, Fleur East

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Dec 23 2015, 10:26 AM
Post #13
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

From my EOY

1. Elina Born - Elina Born
2. Meghan Trainor - Title
3. Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
4. Little Mix - Get Weird
5. Kelly Clarkson - Piece By Piece
6. Gabrielle Aplin - Light Up The Dark
7. Halsey - Badlands
8. Adele - 25
9. Charli XCX - Sucker
10. Marina And The Diamonds - Froot
11. The Veronicas - The Veronicas
12. Ella Eyre - Feline
13. Samantha Jade - Nine
14. Leona Lewis - I Am
15. CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye
16. Selena Gomez - Revival
17. Stacey Solomon - Shy
18. Nick Jonas - Nick Jonas
19. Carrie Underwood - Storyteller
20. Demi Lovato - Confident
21. Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Sings The Blues
22. Hilary Duff - Breathe In, Breathe Out
23. Hudson Taylor - Singing For Strangers
24. Jess Glynne - I Cry When I Laugh
25. Tove Lo - Queen Of The Clouds

26. Lianne La Havis - Blood

+Quote Post
Slade
post Dec 23 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #14
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I haven't actually listened to that many albums this year and hope to rectify that as practically all I want for Christmas is CDs. However, I could just about scrape a top 5 which would be: Kendrick Lamar, Everything Everything, Noel Gallagher, A$AP Rocky and Disclosure. (Honourable mention: Troye Sivan.)

I still need to hear the albums by the following in full: Adele, Grimes, Coldplay, Lana and Little Mix. Hopefully I won't be disappointed by any of those!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Dec 23 2015, 04:06 PM
Post #15
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

>>>> all other albums this year.

Go see my EOY for my top 20 <3

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Dec 24 2015, 12:03 PM
Post #16
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

Carly Rae Jepsen - E•MO•TION (album of the last few years)
Tove Lo - Queen Of The Clouds (I probably said this last year too, but it got its UK release this year and the obsession continued)
Marina + The Diamonds - FROOT
Adam Lambert - The Original High
Madonna - Rebel Heart
Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs
Troye Sivan - Blue Neighbourhood

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jan 1 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #17
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Special mention to Hozier whose album was released 2014 but I only really got into in 2015. Plus I've listened to hits collections from Anastacia and Maroon 5 a lot over the past few months but being what they are, they're exempt from the ranking.

5) Mumford & Sons-Wilder Mind. I loved this new direction, making them a bit less gimmicky. Believe is one of my fave songs of the year without a doubt.
4) Brandon Flowers-The Desired Effect. Fantastic return, very different to Flamingo and quite similar to some Killers stuff to be fair. In a decent world I Can Change would have been a massive hit.
3) The Corrs-White Light. I've had this only a week and I'm in love with it. They stay so true to themselves and yet it feels very fresh and modern. I yearn for the days when acts like the Corrs could muster up hits.
2) Jess Glynne-I Cry When I Laugh. A bit left field for my tastes to be honest. I have loved Jess' voice since I heard Rather Be but the album was a gamble because the dance-esque genre is not one I've even been into. Of course, there are numerous styles on the album but I keep coming back to it. The hits are the best parts obviously. This was the first album I ever streamed in full before purchase.
1) Stereophonics-Keep The Village Alive. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Stereophonics never fail to impress me and seeing this reach no.1 was a definite highlight of 2015. Like the Corrs, it would be amazing to see them once again become relevant enough for success in the singles chart but that is highly unlikely to ever happen again.

+Quote Post
Viper*
post Jan 1 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #18
I Just Can't Feel The Same About You Anymore.
Member No.: 25

Storyteller by Carrie Underwood wub.gif

Mentions for Years + Years, Jess Glynne, Selena Gomez and most surprisingly Nick Jonas. wub.gif

+Quote Post
SantaDalek32
post Jan 1 2016, 02:21 PM
Post #19
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

I am starting my personal 60 best albums of 2015 list, (I'm currently on 47?). The link is in the signature below

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Jan 2 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #20
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

#1: Years & Years - Communion
#2: Little Mix - Get Weird
#3: Ella Eyre - Feline
#4: Sigma - Life
#5: Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 09:54 AM