BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Direction: The Singles Rate - Results, Updated History On Page 2
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
SamJudd
post Jan 1 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #1
There you go, you're like fireworks...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

So here we have it, after weeks of voting with 17 singles and 31 of you voted, all the results will be posted here, so any thoughts any predictions.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: Jan 27 2016, 03:26 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 1 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #2
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

What Makes You Beautiful to NOT be damaged by those disgusting 0s please!!

+Quote Post
SamJudd
post Jan 1 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

Stop the tape and rewind

17. Gotta Be You

Average: 4.096

Highest Rates: 8: (Qween, Joe, UltraChristmas)
Lowest Rates: -1: (TheGrinch, Jimmyjam, Liam, Mr Pmt. AdventAloud, Davidson, MerryFlynnmas), 1: (J*hq, James Silkstone)

At #17 in bottom place is Gotta Be You, as it comes to no surprise considering the amount of -1's it's got and the fact that it didn't gain any vote higher than a 8. But is it as bad as it's made out to be..., well yes kinda. While the lyrics are sweet and the tune is okay enough, but on the whole however it's totally forgettable and quite bland. Also the fact that it's the follow up to the mammoth "What Makes You Beautiful", just makes this even more weak by comparison. Thankfully this would be just a minor blimp in their otherwise brilliant discography and further material would be miles better. I honestly think the B-Side "Another World" was miles better, or even the album track "Taken", both would have been more suitable choices. Released in November 2011 as the 2nd single from their debut album Up All Night and peaked at #3 in the UK and Ireland charts becoming their 2nd top 10 hits in both countries, but in it's 2nd week it slid out of the top 10 and ended up not even selling half of what their debut did. Worldwide it wasn't given a release, instead "One Thing" was chosen as the 2nd worldwide single.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: Jan 1 2016, 11:57 PM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 1 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #4
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I saw that one coming last tbh. It isn't that bad though. But it is still a weak effort and the song itself appears to be like it's playing in slow motion laugh.gif

Hopefully LWWY/One Thing does well here, wish they'd do more of that sound again as they've not impressed me at all this year no.gif

Oh and One Way or Another to finish really low here too please biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slick
post Jan 1 2016, 04:25 PM
Post #5
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

Good start getting rid of that one early on. They don't have any bad singles imo but that's definitely the least good.

WMYB is a genuine choon so I hope people haven't voted it down just because it was a huge success or for whatever silly reason big hits always end up doing badly in these things.

+Quote Post
Jimmy Jam
post Jan 1 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #6
tempted by kings with the finest of things
Member No.: 21,231
   No Gallery Pics

Glad to see GBY out first, hardly surprised. Not bad, just a bit of a non-event really, praying Kiss You, and WMYB take 1, and 2, with One Thing top 5 would be awesome too

This post has been edited by Jimmy Jam: Jan 1 2016, 04:32 PM

+Quote Post
SamJudd
post Jan 1 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

Tell me that I'm wrong but I do what I please

16. Midnight Memories

Average: 5.193

Highest Rates: 9: (Dobogan, Bartsimpson), 8.5/8: (Qween, AdventAloud, Mr Pmt, MIKEMYER, Snowbot)
Lowest Rates: 0/-1: (***, Fgiboy2511, MerryFlynnmas), 1: (Jimmy Jam, UltraChristmas, Joe)

At #16 is Midnight Memories, released in March 2014 as the 3rd single from their 3rd album of the same name. This has to be one of their more energetic anthems, as at the time their were at their all time high, everything went bigger, their profile sky rocketed, their venues increased massively, as well as their tour which was by far their most successful yet raking in millions worldwide. This also showcased a more mature edge to their music, adding a bit more rock and roll and along with a memorable sing a long chorus that always gets a roaring reception upon stage, but upon release it didn't get the chart success it deserved, by peaking at only #39 on the UK charts, becoming their first and only to miss the top 20. As a download upon the album's release it did well by reaching top 5 peaks in Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, Belgium, Spain and Netherlands, along with top 10 in Italy and Lebanon and even a peak of #12 in the USA. But by the time the single was actually released it didn't quite catch on as most people probably bought the album instead.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: Jan 1 2016, 11:54 PM

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 1 2016, 04:56 PM
Post #8

The correct bottom 2 for sure! Gotta Be You is OK but the chorus is weak and it hasn't aged well. Midnight Memories is good but flags in comparison to their other singles.

+Quote Post
Jimmy Jam
post Jan 1 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

Not surprised Midnight Memories is out next. It's alright, but ngl it can be a bit of an annoying song when heard in a large quantity in a short period of time

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Jan 1 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #10
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I actually enjoy Midnight Memories when seeing them perform it on tour, it feels anthemic in that setting. In the context of it being a single/its studio version... it seems average.

+Quote Post
SamJudd
post Jan 1 2016, 11:48 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

If the lights are all down, I'll see who's around

15. One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)

Average: 5.241

Highest Rates: 9.5/9: (Joseph Carey, J*hq, Fgiboy2511, Taylor Jago), 8: (TheGrinch, Jimmy Jam)
Lowest Rates: -1/0: (Adam's Satsuma, ***, Merry Flynnmas, UltraChristmas, HausofTyne), 2: (Liam, Davidson, Joe)

At #15 we have One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks), released in February 2013 as the official Comic Relief single and as you may or may not know, that it's a mash up of 2 covers, "One Way Or Another" was originally sung by Blondie in 1979 and the other is "Teenage Kicks" sung by The Undertones in 1978. While it may not be considered their best or even one of their best, it's still decent enough, for a cover anyway and it's music video is a load of fun and shows their charm and personality really well, and the fact that they shot it themselves was pretty clever. Upon release it became their 3rd UK chart topper (last to feature Zayn), meaning that they were first to take both songs to #1 in the UK, as Blondie's version was never released there and "TK" only managed #31 upon it's original release and going on to sell over 500,000 copies, becoming their 5th biggest selling hit. Elsewhere it also managed to top the charts in Denmark, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland, along with top 5 peaks in Australia, Czech Republic, New Zealand, Spain and Belgium (Flanders). It did well everywhere managing top 40 peaks in every country it charted in, including the USA where it peaked at #13, faring better than the original versions of those songs over there as well and becoming their 5th top 40 hit there.

This post has been edited by Acidburn: Jan 2 2016, 02:19 AM

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 1 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #12

I knew One Way or Another would finish low and it's a shame really sad.gif It's really fun, just what 1D do best.

+Quote Post
Jimmy Jam
post Jan 2 2016, 12:03 AM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

cry.gif sad to see OWOA leave so soon, it's one of my favourite singles they've done, and especially for a Comic Relief song, which are notoriously naff

great gif choice btw kink.gif

+Quote Post
SamJudd
post Jan 2 2016, 12:48 AM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

You can't go to bed without a cup of tea

14. Little Things

Average: 6.306

Highest Rates: 11: (Dobbogan), 10: (TheGrinch, Beatrix Kiddo, Merry Flynnmas, UltraChristmas, Taylor Jago), 9: (Joseph Carey, Acidburn, J*hq, Bartsimpson, ***, KWEEN DEE)
Lowest Rates: -1/0: (Qween, Aled, James Silkstone, Snowbot, HausofTyne), 2: (Joe)

At #14 is Little Things, released in December 2012 as the 2nd single from their 2nd album Take Me Home. This is their simplest, most stripped back production they have ever done. Written by Ed Sheeran and it definitely shows with it's vey intimate approach and quirky lyrics, that's very unlike 1D and has a very polarizing effect amongst first time listeners or even fans of the group. But what it does do is showcase their individual vocals which do sound great and in fact better than ever and even at this point their careers, they already matured and come a long way from their days on X Factor. While it may not be one of my faves from them, you can't deny that they have progressed as artists. Upon release it became they're 2nd UK #1, as well as topping the chars in Australia, Austria, Denmark, Ireland, Mexico, New Zealand, Scotland, Sweden and Swiss. Elsewhere it hit top 10 in Brazil, Belgium, Slovakia, Israel, South Korea, Germany and France.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jan 2 2016, 12:51 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I could just never see past the 'You can't go to bed without a cup of tea' lyric. Terrible, despite them all sounding quite nice on the track.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 2 2016, 01:25 AM
Post #16
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Midnight Memories is quite alright. A fun little song. Glad OWOA is out early biggrin.gif it shouldn't have been #1 as it's not that good and the original is much better. Also think it's the appropriate moment to see off Little Things. Nice little song and vocals but its slightly boring to listen to IMO. They do better with 'louder' music for me.

+Quote Post
Jimmy Jam
post Jan 2 2016, 02:15 AM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

Very happy this is out next. Nice enough song, they all sound great, but completely forgettable when compared to most of their other singles

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 2 2016, 02:23 AM
Post #18

Little Things is lovely, I'd rank it a bit higher but not by too much really.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Jan 2 2016, 01:07 PM
Post #19
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,955

Drag Me Down out next pls

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 2 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #20

No.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:00 PM