BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Obsessive Tendencies
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Jan 7 2016, 04:13 PM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

It occured to me at 5am this morning when I was still awake watching cast interviews from a recent series I've been watching that I cannot simply watch a T.V show. I can't help but become obsessed with it, and I don't really have an obsessive nature, except when it comes to T.V shows and bands unsure.gif

It usually starts with me seeing things from a TV/Web series on Tumblr, I think it looks like something I'd enjoy so decide to check it out, "I will just watch the pilot to see what all the fuss is about" I think... no, I've got to watch the whole season in a day mellow.gif Binge-watching is fine, and is now a really common thing for people to do but it just doesn't stop there for me, I've got to get fully invested in this thing and then proceed to watch as many online videos as I can possibly find, know everything about the cast and characters, read online theories about upcoming episodes etc and then once that's exhausted and there's not another season for six months, I go through the exact same process with another series blush.gif

I'm not as bad with bands as I used to be but I still go through a similar process with them as I do with T.V shows, I think everyone is a little obsessed with music though.

Please tell me this isn't just me and you guys have things you obsess over, even if it's just little things? How far does your stanning of certain artists etc go? Where do you draw the line between being a fan of something and being obsessed? ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Jan 7 2016, 04:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jan 7 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Oh Lindsey I'm exactly the same! laugh.gif I can never stop at simply liking something, it goes the whole way.

For instance, when I first got into the Now! That's What I Call Music series I could not just listen to that album, I told myself I would listen to every single U.K. numbered album chronologically that was part of the franchise - and did just that!

I'm not as obsessive about things as I was when I was younger (e.g. liking something then getting related merchandise on top of this etc.) but I totally get what you mean.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 7 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #3
Yes, it's me.
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,885

I dont think I have any obsessive tendencies. I used to have to have everything Tori Amos released on physical but I can't be bothered any more.

My mp3 collection is all over the place. I have cds out of their boxes. My room is a mess. My work computer is all over the place - figuratively.

I can't think of any aspect of my life that I am obsessed with having in a certain way.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jan 7 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I think I have become a little more chilled about things now, but I guess I probably do still have a bit of a tendency to get super excited about things in general. I don't know where I draw the line between interest and obsession though, like I'm really interested in Myers-Briggs personality types right now but at the same time I'm taking my time reading through all the types, as opposed to obsessively reading through five types in one day. So I dunno. I don't think I get as obsessed these days.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 7 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #5
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Well I have to watch every episode of a TV series in order no matter how long or short it is. Which has put me off starting huge TV series or ones where inter-episodic continuity doesn't matter as much. I feel that if I watch something out of order I'm missing part of the whole picture. This habit means that binge-watching is a necessity and I get that thing where you get obsessed with every aspect. It may even mean putting something in my avatars to represent the obsession. I also always end up, as part of this obsessive thing, getting drawn onto the show's TVTropes page and doing my best to dodge spoilers there (by say, only looking at the pages of characters who are already dead, which has caught me out a couple of times if they aren't really that dead). So I know all about doing that with TV shows.

It's so easy for me to do this with any form of entertainment, knowing everything about it that is, especially finding reviews to see what other people thought of it - when I finish watching an episode or first listen to a song my first thought is often to find a critic's take on it. This is less concentrated with music as I listen to so much different stuff it's harder to find what gets you really obsessed but it still happens, Nightwish still gets me obsessed every time. I definitely have an obsessive personality when it comes to consuming. It's when you do something extra other than just consuming it, when you read around the subject and can therefore quote extra facts about it that crosses the line into slightly obsessive I'd say. Not that that's a bad thing in... moderation. Moderated obsession, that's not an oxymoron.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jan 7 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #6
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

My FanFiction days were dotted with making original characters, so much that at one point I was considered one of the go-to users for Total Drama OC's. That's how you know you've made it. I ended up taking a lot of inspiration from obscure TV shows at the time but with different stereotypes.

Also mashing up two things together. And it's not just songs. I recently made a bunch of posts on Tumblr mashing up Teen Wolf with Scream Queens and that satisfied me a bit.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Jan 7 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #7
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 7 2016, 04:23 PM) *
Oh Lindsey I'm exactly the same! laugh.gif I can never stop at simply liking something, it goes the whole way.

For instance, when I first got into the Now! That's What I Call Music series I could not just listen to that album, I told myself I would listen to every single U.K. numbered album chronologically that was part of the franchise - and did just that!

I'm not as obsessive about things as I was when I was younger (e.g. liking something then getting related merchandise on top of this etc.) but I totally get what you mean.

Bre better be careful x

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 7 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #8
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Oh well, if you've got to the point of writing fan fiction then CLEARLY.... (I may have done this in the past, thankfully it's not online and never will be)

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Jan 7 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #9
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Erotic friend fiction>>>>>>fanfiction.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 7 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #10
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

LINDSEY HAS A PUBLISHED FANFICTION ON THE INTERNET

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Jan 7 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #11
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Jan 7 2016, 06:41 PM) *
LINDSEY HAS A PUBLISHED FANFICTION ON THE INTERNET

THAT WAS ONE TIME

(2012/13ish) some Italian Fan Fic website got in touch with me and asked if they could translate it and put it on their site, I deleted the original out of embarrassment when Lotti found it so the only version that still exists is in Italian laugh.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Jan 7 2016, 06:53 PM

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 7 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #12
feminist icon

little did u know i could understand enough italian 2 find it

lotti 1, lindsey 0

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Jan 7 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #13
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Jan 7 2016, 06:54 PM) *
little did u know i could understand enough italian 2 find it

lotti 1, lindsey 0

mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 7 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #14
feminist icon

omg

lotti 1, lindsey 1

sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jan 7 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

I sometimes have periods when I'm completely obsessed for a short time about an artist/group, this year it was all about Tove Lo in late spring laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Jan 7 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #16
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Andr00w @ Jan 7 2016, 10:19 PM) *
I sometimes have periods when I'm completely obsessed for a short time about an artist/group, this year it was all about Tove Lo in late spring laugh.gif

Completely misread that the first time and I was about to question everything I thought I knew about you laugh.gif but yes I'm the exact same, right now I'm obsessing over Halsey but I've been a massive fan of her for like a year or so, I think it's just because it's syncing in that I'm going to see her live that I'm freaking out over her again.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 8 2016, 12:38 AM
Post #17
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

I always tend to get kinda obsessed with something I really like! More evident as a kid, I went through a few years where I was addicted to Doctor Who (it remains my favourite show but not quite on that scale). I wanted all the merchandise - action figures (I have a few hundred!!), trading cards, magazines, anything. Nowadays it's just the DVDs I buy lol.

I definitely get obsessed with music artists, although it's less focused on one artist/group and more spread out among a handful laugh.gif I'd class myself as a huge fan of One Direction for example and I'm slightly obsessed I guess but compared to some Twitter/Tumblr stans, it's nothing really. Very big on having complete CD collections of my favourite artists (and extra income has allowed me to do this recently lmao) so I'd say the obsessions go that far for a particular few ~

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Jan 8 2016, 02:57 AM
Post #18
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ℒ𝓲𝓷⻤ @ Jan 7 2016, 07:00 PM) *

mellow.gif

🙌🏼

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 08:28 PM