BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do you like reading essays on Buzzjack?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
M.
post Jan 7 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Thought it might be intriguing to talk a bit about this. I am loving the high activity in here lately, even if it may be hard to keep up or to get on with other activities lol. There have been many interesting (or uninteresting?) "essay posts" for people to read here lately and I'm just wondering - do you care for them? Do you like reading them? Do you like writing them?

Me personally, I am such a sucker for a good Buzzjack essay. Lindsey, Jade and Iz write some of my absolute favourite ones. I tend to write them too sometimes and really enjoy the process of it but often feel embarrassed later! Are you the same?

Are they sometimes too much?

I just really enjoy reading things about posters' lives and without trying to sound cheesy, it can create a sense of acceptance and people might feel as if there are others in the same boat.

Of course I love short funny posts too! Sense of humour is also something I adore.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jan 7 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #2
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

It really depends. Like if it's about something interesting and has something that grabs my eye then I'm all for it. I just don't want to have to constantly scroll down and risk breaking the mousepad because I'm trying to find a funny one-liner.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jan 7 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #3
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Sometimes.

(geddit, cos it's a 1 word reply in a thread about essays)

((lolol))

Seriously though, unless it's a topic that isn't interesting to begin with, 'essay posts' are usually the best posts.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Jan 7 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #4
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

No.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Jan 7 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #5
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh, it just depends if I'm interested in the topic. laugh.gif

Noahs are always excellent though.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 7 2016, 06:03 PM
Post #6
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

If it's an interesting post I love reading ""essay"" posts! Like you said it's interesting to find out more about posters etc

I need to up my post length game

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 7 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Alejandjob @ Jan 7 2016, 06:01 PM) *
No.

When I saw that you had posted, this was exactly the post I predicted from you. You didn't let me down happy.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 7 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #8
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

ABSOLUTELY.

You can still have humour into long posts, some of the best jokes are hidden away in long essays. To check if you're still paying attention. I really enjoy reading other people's essays too because it means they've been thinking about the topic and are creating better points for people to respond to. A thread is made so much better if people respond to other people within it instead of one post and out and essays help this immensely because there are more discussion points and things to pick up off on. Like someone could pick up on one part of my essay and we head down a tangent about something no one wants to read about but it can be fun for those getting involved.

Plus it's interesting and shows there is a lot about the poster and their opinion about the topic that they felt they had to write so much in the first place. I don't mean just write long posts needlessly and dully and long-winded and just being long for the sake of a long loquacious post, inject your own personality into what you're writing and we will all be better for it.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Jan 7 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #9
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

Essays > any of froot's posts

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 7 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #10
masala me
Member No.: 12,929

Or we could just say that I seem unable to be succinct these days. I used to be the most succinct student you could imagine but years of studying a essay-based degree have turned me into a writing spam mutant who always has more than one point to make and can't do that in less than say... eight lines. If it's something important.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jan 7 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #11
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Yea I like a good essay post most of the time, I like having a proper insight into someones thoughts on a topic happy.gif

I post a lot of essay posts and its mostly not intentional, It just kinda happens as I start typing laugh.gif When it's about personal topics I don't worry too much about the length of my posts but sometimes I can write a couple of paragraphs on something that probably doesn't need that much of an explanation blush.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Jan 7 2016, 06:10 PM

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 7 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Jan 7 2016, 06:00 PM) *
'essay posts' are usually the best posts.

This makes me feel better about your whole "Mattias' essay posts" card on Cards Against Humanity laugh.gif

(I probably wouldn't be able to read back on some of them tho, I feel a sense of cringe)

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Jan 7 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #13
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

ngl I don't read a lot of essay posts, I zone out rather easy. It depends on the topic and if I'm interested in the individual posting x

Although Noah's posts are always worth the read.

This post has been edited by 🙄🙄🙄: Jan 7 2016, 06:18 PM

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jan 7 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #14
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I sometimes post essays, not as it's intentional just because if it's a topic I have a lot to say about, I kinda just can't stop writing once I start! But yeah, if I'm interested in the topic and it's clearly well informed and saying something different and insightful, then they are amazing and highly readable. Though admittedly if it's not or just covered repetitively (hi OA/OS streaming debate), they become a bit more of a chore. BUT I love essay posts in general as it clearly shows passion and that's what matters.

(though I must say REALLY bright font and essay posts are often a challenge drama.gif)

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Jan 7 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #15
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Froot. @ Jan 7 2016, 06:02 PM) *
Noahs are always excellent though.

QUOTE(🙄🙄🙄 @ Jan 7 2016, 06:17 PM) *
Although Noah's posts are always worth the read.

TY blush.gif

*writes a flop*

I generally really like reading essay posts here, whether on personal topics or debate-type interactions, but either have to be in a certain mood or particularly compelled by the topic/a point made to write one myself. I think that's mostly down to tending to catch up on threads in the evening and often feeling tired or that it's too much effort to contribute my own take on something, even if it's of interest. For instance, the recent threads on the happiest time of your life and something you'd change about yourself made me want to post, but I still haven't got around to it (and probably won't at this stage lol). I'm always impressed that the likes of Jade/Mattias/Iz/Chez/Riser/Haus/Lindsey among others seem to easily be able to write at length in most topics, and I've tried in the past to push myself to think things through and write my own account, but found it can take me too long for what it's worth (and as Mattias said in the OP, I've sometimes felt slightly embarrassed or regretful about getting so personal in times it didn't come naturally). Now my approach is just to ramble on in a post whenever I have an urge to do so (like for this topic magic.gif) or if I feel it could be helpful in some way.

In terms of reading essays, especially very personal ones about negative experiences, I often want to acknowledge the person for going to the trouble of sharing, but just find I've nothing 'productive' to say most of the time (e.g. Liam wrote an impressively long one yesterday, so here's your acknowledgement)! It's a bit of a shame in particular when the last post of a thread is a ~deep~ essay, as I wouldn't want anyone to think what they wrote was a waste of time or put people off posting. I'm sure many others appreciate reading those kind of things even if they don't reply. So yeah, essays are gr8. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 7 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #16
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

It really depends on what the thread is about and, much as it is obviously awful to say, who has written the post. If it's someone I think has something interesting to say or will have a viewpoint different to my own I will be more likely to read simply because it will be more likely to warrant a reply. In general I'm not a big fan of essay posts though, I would generally skip them or scan read them for the headline info.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 7 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #17
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Some people create longer posts naturally, like its in their nature to post longer things, and I like that, but I'll read posts on a thread either way. Sometimes if I'm not that interested in the thread/ or there's a lot of posts in it I'll just scroll through and make my post, but if I'm interested I'll read it. So yes, I enjoy reading longer posts (or essays as you've called them) - but not if I'm not really that interested in them. But short posts are always good too (I think shorter replies are more common in the Chart forum, especially in the Chart Show thread and the iTunes Chart thread).

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 7 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #18
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Depends on the thread itself. But if I'm not that interested in the topic anyway then I probably won't be interested in short posts or essay posts. If I'm interested in a topic, why wouldn't I want to read more on it?

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 7 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #19
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I'm the typical lazy tl;dr heehee.gif if it's a topic I'm specifically interested in then I'll read it all (skipping most of everyone else's replies ironically oop)

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jan 7 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

Depends on the topic tbh! I like a good read so normally I enjoy them.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 06:32 PM