BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Doctors should not have the right to strike'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
'Doctors should not have the right to strike'
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
HausAlone
post Jan 10 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

A very topical debate now and one featured on the BBC's Big Questions this morning. On Tuesday junior doctors across the country will be going on strike against the harsh changes to working conditions that they will be facing.

Now this obviously poses risks to patients, but doctors are ensuring that non-junior doctors or doctors not striking will be covering their shifts and their patients. It will also if successful lead to an improvement into the conditions for them and prevent them from emigrating or leaving the profession altogether. Conditions are currently bad, the government changes will make this even more difficult for them. The junior doctors are only going to provide emergency care on this day and stress that public safety is not as risk. But is this moral for them to do so?

There is more information about this complex debate here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35268824 but in general, what are your views? Should doctors be able to strike despite the possible implications to patients in need.

If you are FOR you believe doctors should NOT be able to strike.
If you are AGAINST you believe doctors SHOULD be able to strike.

While you are here, take a look at previous debates and if you haven't already, have your say in those too!

'Parents should be able to choose the sex of their child'
'War can never be justified'
'The opt-out system for organ donation should be mandatory'
'Assissted suicide should be legalised'
'People who download illegally should be prosecuted'
'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
'Voting should be compulsory'
'The voting age should be lowered to 16'
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 10 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

This is a very interesting debate for me because my brother is a junior doctor and is actively involved in the debate. He was evidently upset about the proposed changes, and while he isn't personally on strike (or working) that day he does support that they should be able to go on strike.

They do so much work looking after others for little or no reward, but who is looking after them?

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jan 10 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #3
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

I work for the Underground! I love a good strike! Everyone should have the right to fight for better pay / working conditions!

In full support of the junior doctors here, I mean it would feel a bit hypocritical not to be.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 10 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

It's good to see they've gone to lengths to provide medical healthcare during the strike. I'm not certain where I stand on the actual issue, but in general I believe that workers should have the right to strike to show discontent.

This post has been edited by princess_lotti: Jan 10 2016, 03:47 PM

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jan 10 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #5
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

Hmm this just comes back to the whole NHS debate. There is little money for wage rises - however if you don't give wage rises then the 'talent' ends up leaving to the private sector. Vicious circle and one that can't be stopped without some significant investment.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 10 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Yeah, I don't see why not??! With their shifts being covered, obviously if they weren't it would be the opposite.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jan 10 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #7
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

They deserve a right to strike. I have one in my profession though I've never used it. Being able to strike doesn't mean that everyone will but if people can strike in other jobs due to working conditions then I believe that everyone should be able to.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 10 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #8
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I firmly believe in their right to strike and I very firmly back the Junior Doctors here.

It's funny how this problem isn't replicated in devolved areas.... What Jeremy Cunt and the ideological war that the scumservatives are pursuing is what is causing this dispute. They don't believe in the NHS and want to kill it off so we can have a system like America's. You can't treat these critical staff like shit and then expect them to fall in line when you treat them worse. The pay deal they are being offered is a cut in wages that is being dressed up as a pay rise by the government to turn the public against the docs. It's firmly backfiring from what i've seen

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 10 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #9
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I absolutely support their right to strike and will fully back their regrettable action on Tuesday as the only way of getting through to Jeremy Hunt, and the very unnecessary reforms that he is imposing on an already stretched and stressed out workforce. Forcing them to make these changes - which ultimately could lead to junior doctors working up to 72 hour weeks - is both unworkable and potentially dangerous, and instead of making the job even less attractive to new entrants the government should be doing more to bring in more trained staff and not simply relying on those already in the job to work twice as hard to cover the shortfall.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jan 10 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Do strikes actually work though? I always hear news of people striking and what they want to see change but never what the result is.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 10 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Jan 10 2016, 07:35 PM) *
Do strikes actually work though? I always hear news of people striking and what they want to see change but never what the result is.

Have you seen the film Made in Dagenham?

+Quote Post
kye
post Jan 10 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #12
• Aesthetic Party •
Member No.: 2,169

I'm on my phone and tapped the wrong option by mistake.
I fully believe that junior doctors have every right to strike but it's sad that they have to.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 10 2016, 09:05 PM
Post #13
Henrietta R Hippo

Well not immediately or instantly probably not, but in raising awareness of the issues and highlighting the unfairness yes they most definitely do. It's like asking if gay pride rallies or feminist marches or things of similar ilks work and if there is a point to them. Yes of course there is because if people feel they are being treated unfairly they should have the freedom to air their views.

QUOTE(Scherz @ Jan 10 2016, 08:04 PM) *
I'm on my phone and tapped the wrong option by mistake.
I fully believe that junior doctors have every right to strike but it's sad that they have to.

I have edited your vote biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 10 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

It works just fine for tube drivers!

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jan 10 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #15
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

I belive that doctors have a right to strike as much as any other profession. Companies are more likely to listen to their staffs needs and wasn't if they do strike.

They've still shown they're capable of providing the cover when the need arises though and unless the junior doctors etc... Are willing to also strike and leave the country at a standstill (doctor wise atleast) then there is also the possibility that the government won't do anything for just now at least especially when they have the Juniors picking up the slack.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 10 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #16
Henrietta R Hippo

Just to put the question out there and play devil's advocate, if there wasn't suitable cover being provided - for example if it was a nationwide full NHS doctor strike not just the junior doctors, would people still support their right to strike given the implications it would have on the patients and the possible risks?

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jan 10 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #17
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

I personally would still support it as a last resort. You gotta do what you gotta do as they say. Yes they have a duty to provide for the ill, physically impaired but they also have to make sure they are getting what they need to perform their job properly and that includes a decent wage.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 10 2016, 11:09 PM
Post #18
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Jan 10 2016, 10:28 PM) *
Just to put the question out there and play devil's advocate, if there wasn't suitable cover being provided - for example if it was a nationwide full NHS doctor strike not just the junior doctors, would people still support their right to strike given the implications it would have on the patients and the possible risks?

oh wow interesting question ohmy.gif

I agree with strikes in general as although they can be a nuisance for the average person, they do prove a point in showing how reliable people are on a certain service (i'm trying to speak generally here) and of course it's an effective way to show discontent, but if there were to be a full NHS doctor strike, that could (well to be honest would) result in deaths, and also life long consequences (for example someone could get hit by a car, and due to not being treated for 24 hours or so end up with life long consequences). Personally, I would not be able to participate in a strike if I knew I was putting members of the general public at risk.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jan 11 2016, 08:47 AM
Post #19
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Jan 10 2016, 10:28 PM) *

Yes (although is there a limit, like a legal thing for when it comes to life threatening situations? Just nothing else I guess unsure.gif), but I would assume such a threat/strike would have a larger amount of sway?

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 11 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #20
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Of course they have the right to strike. For the level of importance the job has, they don't get enough credit at all comparatively and besides everybody has the right to strike I believe.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 03:14 PM